I've been at S.T.A.P now for a little over 20 years and as I wonder what's going to happen when Whitey's gone I still feel like we are heading in the right direction... I listen to people all day talk about who they are going to vote for to replace him...... I like Scott Smith for a couple reasons... 1. He's young and he will be there for years to come, 2. Although he doesn't have the time on the floor he does have the time sitting up with Whitey and listening in 3. And this is the big one! Whitey himself backs him! I hear people say oh he only has 9 years seniority...... who cares!! Obviously he is smart enough and must have some piss and vinegar in him for Whitey to back him. Then there is well he's only been on the floor for 3 years... lol again who the hell cares!! Last time I checked they don't build cars up front they bargain!! and the last thing I hear is well Whitey just wants him in there to be a puppet.... lol All I can say about that is if he is a puppet or not who else would you want pulling the strings??? Your right Whitey! Now I've trusted Whitey this long and I have no reason to not trust him again so Scott you will get my vote and not only mine but also my son's. I hope you get in and become the leader Whitey knows you can be!! Good luck!

p.s. oh I forgot..... How many years did Whitey have on the floor?;) That's what I thought

Edited by Gin@Juice

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

p.s. oh I forgot..... How many years did Whitey have on the floor?;) That's what I thought

I'm leaning toward doing the same thing but this question you pose is silly.Whitey had many years on the floor as an elected committee man.To say Whitey also didn't have years on the floor is probably insulting to him.I just have a hard time getting around the uncertain future and such an inexperianced guy like Scott being the leader.Like you I've trusted Whitey and guessing a deal for our future has been done because I just can't see Whitey leaving at this important time.I guess we'll know in a week or two.

I cannot vote for a brother who has never held an elected position!! This guy has sat in a cozy appointed position for a long time. I firmly stand against appointed positions. Also Scott is arrogant..He seems to think he is better than the guys on the line and almost talks down to them...This is not someone I want representing me. I want someone who can represent my needs and this guy is so out of touch how can he look out for us!! Many of our current reps don't like Scott..they are just towing the line for Whitey...Ask your rep in detail about him and you may find he is not very popular!!

Edited by Stap guy

I'm leaning toward doing the same thing but this question you pose is silly.Whitey had many years on the floor as an elected committee man.To say Whitey also didn't have years on the floor is probably insulting to him.I just have a hard time getting around the uncertain future and such an inexperianced guy like Scott being the leader.Like you I've trusted Whitey and guessing a deal for our future has been done because I just can't see Whitey leaving at this important time.I guess we'll know in a week or two.

BINGO!

No matter how you look at the candidates it is going to be a tough decision.

Do you go with someone that has years of experience in the plant and a few to go till retirement

or someone that has a few years but has been groomed for the job?

Sure Whitey and the rest of the boy's unanimously endorse Scott but it does not sound like he has the respect of the majority of voters. I need to know and trust the person I vote for, I am considering either Proudfoot or Tucker.

Edited by stapworker

I've been at S.T.A.P now for a little over 20 years and as I wonder what's going to happen when Whitey's gone I still feel like we are heading in the right direction... I listen to people all day talk about who they are going to vote for to replace him...... I like Scott Smith for a couple reasons... 1. He's young and he will be there for years to come, 2. Although he doesn't have the time on the floor he does have the time sitting up with Whitey and listening in 3. And this is the big one! Whitey himself backs him! I hear people say oh he only has 9 years seniority...... who cares!! Obviously he is smart enough and must have some piss and vinegar in him for Whitey to back him. Then there is well he's only been on the floor for 3 years... lol again who the hell cares!! Last time I checked they don't build cars up front they bargain!! and the last thing I hear is well Whitey just wants him in there to be a puppet.... lol All I can say about that is if he is a puppet or not who else would you want pulling the strings??? Your right Whitey! Now I've trusted Whitey this long and I have no reason to not trust him again so Scott you will get my vote and not only mine but also my son's. I hope you get in and become the leader Whitey knows you can be!! Good luck!

you don't even have a son yet,gin and juice.....lol

Brown?I've heard there are 5 or 6 guys running but have no idea other then Smith,Tucker and Proudfoot who the others are.Any ideas?I've asked people in my area and no one knows...if there are others then the 3 I mentioned they best get there face out on the floor soon.For myself(over 20 years in)I don't know who Proudfoot is so that eliminates him,plus not sure it makes sense to have a guy with 27 years getting in at this point.So not knowing who the heck the others are it's between Smith and Tucker right now for me.Scott came around the other day in my area and haven't seen Tucker yet.Tucker is interesting to me.Hewas the junior committee man in his area so he loses his job during 1 shift.He gets the benefit gig by the same old shenangins our union is famous for(look after their own).Then goes against the same people who appointed him and runs for Chair instead of towing the line like every other union sheep and backing Smith.I'm hoping he comes around before the election because I'd like to hear his reasoning in running instead of towing the union line...my vote definately could be swayed from Smith in his response.

i will not make my decision until i've talked to all who are running and express my thoughts to them and see how they react.we all know that securing a future product is the most important agenda at this time,but there is no better way to secure our future than bargaining a severance package equal to or better than the buyout offer that the remaining members did not take.we all know that the company did not bargain in good faith during the 2005 collective bargaining,as they 1 shifted STAP less 4 months after signing the agreement.with 2008 bargaining closing in on us in less than 1 year,our union needs to get it's act together.the company could easily promise investment in STAP in the future to appease everyone and change their minds after a new CBA is signed in 2008.i propose this idea to our local union and all of it's members:MANDATE this severance package into the 2008 agreement....a minimum of $100,000 severance package(the buyout offer of 2007)plus the accrued sub credits if ford decides to close STAP in 2011.have this money secured and set aside in the SUB fund just in case it's needed.in my opinion,this is the only real security we can achieve in the next contract.many brother's and sister's who have applied at TOYOTA are facing a very tough decision in the near future...should they stay because they love working at ford even with the uncertainty, or go to a new plant where they are almost certain to have a longer career.if ford does decide to follow thru with commitment and investment into STAP there would be no cost of severance packages at all,we would have the security that we all desire.i want to get 30 years in and retire,but if STAP were to close it's doors after 4 more years and I walk away with a 100.000 and 78 weeks SUB at least it would buy some time.sometime in the early summer before the 2008 contract bargaining begins i will be making up a petition for this very cause and I hope that everyone agrees to this and signs it,would be nice to have all of our brother's and sister's sign it...for i believe it should definatley be a strike issue if need be.our union leader's need to know that we want more than just PROMISES next contract,we want RESULTS in SECURITY of our future.please feel free to reply to this posting if you agree or disagree.

Brown?I've heard there are 5 or 6 guys running but have no idea other then Smith,Tucker and Proudfoot who the others are.Any ideas?I've asked people in my area and no one knows...if there are others then the 3 I mentioned they best get there face out on the floor soon.For myself(over 20 years in)I don't know who Proudfoot is so that eliminates him,plus not sure it makes sense to have a guy with 27 years getting in at this point.So not knowing who the heck the others are it's between Smith and Tucker right now for me.Scott came around the other day in my area and haven't seen Tucker yet.Tucker is interesting to me.Hewas the junior committee man in his area so he loses his job during 1 shift.He gets the benefit gig by the same old shenangins our union is famous for(look after their own).Then goes against the same people who appointed him and runs for Chair instead of towing the line like every other union sheep and backing Smith.I'm hoping he comes around before the election because I'd like to hear his reasoning in running instead of towing the union line...my vote definately could be swayed from Smith in his response.

I edited my earlier post, I don't know why I typed in Brown. Must have been thinking of something while I was typing.

I like Tuckers attitude of not always doing what the executives tell him, sometimes you have to ruffle a few feathers to get there attention.

I would like to hear what all the candidates have to say but I am on Inverse, Scott is the only one I have heard from, he sent out a mailing earlier this week.

i will not make my decision until i've talked to all who are running and express my thoughts to them and see how they react.we all know that securing a future product is the most important agenda at this time,but there is no better way to secure our future than bargaining a severance package equal to or better than the buyout offer that the remaining members did not take.we all know that the company did not bargain in good faith during the 2005 collective bargaining,as they 1 shifted STAP less 4 months after signing the agreement.with 2008 bargaining closing in on us in less than 1 year,our union needs to get it's act together.the company could easily promise investment in STAP in the future to appease everyone and change their minds after a new CBA is signed in 2008.i propose this idea to our local union and all of it's members:MANDATE this severance package into the 2008 agreement....a minimum of $100,000 severance package(the buyout offer of 2007)plus the accrued sub credits if ford decides to close STAP in 2011.have this money secured and set aside in the SUB fund just in case it's needed.in my opinion,this is the only real security we can achieve in the next contract.many brother's and sister's who have applied at TOYOTA are facing a very tough decision in the near future...should they stay because they love working at ford even with the uncertainty, or go to a new plant where they are almost certain to have a longer career.if ford does decide to follow thru with commitment and investment into STAP there would be no cost of severance packages at all,we would have the security that we all desire.i want to get 30 years in and retire,but if STAP were to close it's doors after 4 more years and I walk away with a 100.000 and 78 weeks SUB at least it would buy some time.sometime in the early summer before the 2008 contract bargaining begins i will be making up a petition for this very cause and I hope that everyone agrees to this and signs it,would be nice to have all of our brother's and sister's sign it...for i believe it should definatley be a strike issue if need be.our union leader's need to know that we want more than just PROMISES next contract,we want RESULTS in SECURITY of our future.please feel free to reply to this posting if you agree or disagree.

Where do I sign? :shades:

I agree I have never seen Barney at a union meeting or have him involve with the union outside of work. Why cause, that require his own time. A chair is on call 24/7. By the way Barney has never won as a commitee man, only as an alternate. We don't want to but an alternate in for the top job. Tucker maybe, but I have had Tucker as my commitee man. Nice guy, but his famous lines were " lets not make any waves guys". This kind of attiude is not going to get my vote. I am still going with Whitey's pick "Scott" I know all these canadiates and I still think Scott is more qualified. He is young, and his goal is to have work here for the next 20 years. And he reminds me of Whitey in his younger days. Guys we need to think of our future and our familes future. Have a ggod weekend guys!

We need a guy that stands for more than "lets not make any waves guys" When Tucker was a rep he disappeared every time there was a problem. He stood for letting things settle by themselves. We need a leader!

I wish you the best of luck in getting what you want,but your talking about Ford here and they are known to flip flop on promises that are agreed on at a moments notice with out a reason why.

Whitey didn't get the job done. Whitey failed to land us new product. STAP is hanging on by a thread. All Scott knows is the Whitey way. Time for a change. We need somebody who's going to play ball. Who that is ..... don't know.

And you know this forsure about Whitey?I'm not sure either but we won't know anything till atleast when the UAW settle and then I'd guess not till Sept. 08.We get product then I think Whitey gets credit not whoever the new guy is.I go back and forth between how you feel and what I think about Whitey.I just don't believe he leaves with us in such doubt.

the truth be known..whitey bailed on US when we needed him most.......people hold him high on a pedestal at STAP..(hell, i even nominated him for prime minister months ago).....why did he leave to go to the national?either he's already secured something for us(and if this is the case i take it all back)..or he's saving face for himself because he know's we are toast and he knows STAP is done after one more contract....i don't know the reason, but it is what it is...it's irrelevant now anyway...........it's time for the new union to take over.....it's time for us to decide what we really want to do about it....the only people that can make a difference is YOU and ME collectively....WE are the union...if it needs to be fixed then WE have to fix it...WE should become more involved...not sit back and watch things happen,then bitch about it.it's kind of funny that i have a committeeman that i didn't elect...who in my opinion doesn't know squat,who uses scare tactics...what the hell is that?we are in for some tough times ahead,no doubt in my mind,but like i said in previous posts we are the ones who will decide our future.UNITED we'll stand.....DIVIDED we will fall....now you tell me WHO is the best person for the chairperson for CAW local 1520 because i really don't know either...but we all need to step up to the plate when the time comes.

Whitey didn't quit because STAP is closing and Whitey didn't quit because STAP is secure with new product.

Whitey got a better job offer. It's that simple. :finger:

How do you possibly know that?None of us know wtf is happening.If you have info that makes it "that simple" we are all ears.It's all conjecture right now.I don't know anything but I've known Whitey for alot of years and he wouldn't bail on us at this important time.Time will tell but leaving now with nothing settled doesn't fit the Whitey I know.So I'm hopeful but as I said I know nothing and those that say they do are just shitting out their mouth like rumour mongers do everyday in the plant.

How do you possibly know that?None of us know wtf is happening.If you have info that makes it "that simple" we are all ears.It's all conjecture right now.I don't know anything but I've known Whitey for alot of years and he wouldn't bail on us at this important time.Time will tell but leaving now with nothing settled doesn't fit the Whitey I know.So I'm hopeful but as I said I know nothing and those that say they do are just shitting out their mouth like rumour mongers do everyday in the plant.

How do I know the plant hasn't closed? Well it was still open when I left on thursday. How do I know there is no new product? Has Ford announced any new product for STAP, NO? Is there new product coming? Who knows. Maybe after the UAW settle, maybe after our contract is settled? Maybe after the Leafs win the cup. Did new product come two years ago after our last contract? People are reading too much into Whitey leaving. He got a better job offer and that's all.

Why Whitey is leaving is irrelevant, The bottom line is our local has to move forward and choose who will lead. The next chairman will have very little influennce during our national negotiations. He will have a lot to do with with our local issues. We need to choose someone who can relate to the needs of the workers on the floor. Someone who is not out of touch with the workers. Based on what I know of the candidates Tucker may be the way to go. These brothers who have never held an elected position are not even worth considering. We also need someone who is willing to go against the grain. Most of our reps don't dare question Whitey and most in appointed positions are afraid to loose the cozy jobs. We need someone who will listen to us!! There will be no room for arrogance!!!

Why Whitey is leaving is irrelevant, The bottom line is our local has to move forward and choose who will lead. The next chairman will have very little influennce during our national negotiations. He will have a lot to do with with our local issues. We need to choose someone who can relate to the needs of the workers on the floor. Someone who is not out of touch with the workers. Based on what I know of the candidates Tucker may be the way to go. These brothers who have never held an elected position are not even worth considering. We also need someone who is willing to go against the grain. Most of our reps don't dare question Whitey and most in appointed positions are afraid to loose the cozy jobs. We need someone who will listen to us!! There will be no room for arrogance!!!

Stap guy is right about moving forward and choosing a leader.

He's quick to pick on appointed people although in this case two of the candidates (Tucker and Smith) have resigned from their "cozy jobs" to run. If they did not care for the membership and the future they would as Stap guy says have stayed away from elections.

He's wrong about Tucker. Darin is a nice guy. Great to have a beer with. But he never showed any leadership. He was not one of the leaders on the inplant committee. He was not a leader on the frame line or among plant service workers. He just did the minimum to get by.

So I'm going with Scott Smith. He has had experience in the union office. He has met with the company's plant leadership on many occasions and has their respect. Several of the Committeemen (past and present) that he has worked closely with have said he is the guy. Whitey says he's the one for the future of the plant. What better recommendation could you get?

I don't know why you guys would even consider electing Scott he has NO floor experience ...gift position as well sure he gave it up but only because I'm sure he was told it was "for sure" he would be elected

At least with Proudfoot and Tucker you some experience ..to at least speak up at the National level

I don't know why you guys would even consider electing Scott he has NO floor experience ...gift position as well sure he gave it up but only because I'm sure he was told it was "for sure" he would be elected

At least with Proudfoot and Tucker you some experience ..to at least speak up at the National level

Finally some common sense...because Whitey said so is not going to cut it!!!!

Finally some common sense...because Whitey said so is not going to cut it!!!!

I don't know Proudfoot...what has he done?His signs say alt. committee man for 6 years...that it?Is there any other reason why he would be qualified?I'm guessing he was an A shift guy since I don't know who he is.Any info would be appreciated....and anyone know who else is running other then him,Tucker or Smith?

Scott's bio on his flyer seemed to indicate that he would make a good secretary.

Scott has squandered his time. He has had 7 years to join commitees and take union courses to familiarize himself with all aspects of the union. How much of Scott wanting the plant chairman job is about not letting down his mentor.