2008 Ford Taurus: Best in Class?

wescoent

Those who have driven it have told me it drives exactly like a premium full-size sedan should. Controlled in turns, perfectly isolated from harsh bumps, quiet as a bank vault, and very speedy.

What is with these verbs ending in "Y"used to describe Fords throttle response Zippy, Speedy WTF. The 3.5 in my wifes Edge is "Fast accelerating" although there is a little torque steer (it also could use a tuned suspension), but the 3.5 in the Taurus is "Faster" minus the torque steer. Less weight over the over the Edge, and a better matched (tuned) suspension makes the Taurus a winner from a performance stand point!

Edited by Furious1Auto

• 4 weeks later...

Unproven track record, and Ford has a reputation for poor quality front wheel drive vehicles.

Many Americans think the way the Big 2.8 are operated, both management and union, is disfunctional, and are leery of buying a product of such a system. That is the sense I get from people I know, at least.

Bullshit! I've owned several FWD Ford vehicles and never had a problem with any of them.

I now own a 2005 Montego, and except for one Chevy Lumina I had as a company car, I've driven nothing but Ford products, even when for company cars I had other choices. Furthermore, as far as the DN5/D186/DN101 Taurus/Sable, from November 1985 to July 2005 (when I got the Montego), I had a 1986 Sable, a 1990, 1992 and a 1996 Taurus. Personally, you can go stuff your "Bullshit" comment. As much as I loved my Tauruses and Sable, a bigger POS I never drove. The '86, '90, and 92 all had their transmissions fail around 60,000 miles. The '86 had one foot wide sections of paint peel off the front bumper, despite the fact that it was expertly detailed. Then the '86's alternator went out at 70,000 miles without warning. Idiot light should have went off to give warning that the alternator failed, and the dealer could not determine what was wrong with the warning light circuit. On the '86, '90, and 92, they would eat brake pads every 18,000 to 24,000 miles. Then there's the four cassette /radios that the '86 had changed under warranty. The cruise control quit at 17,000 miles, necessitating a computer replacement.

The '96? Let's start with the buzzing noise from the A pillars, that resulted in three times having the front door gaskets replaced under warranty. Brakes and transmission were drastically improved over the previous models, but then the idler pulley went out and killed the serpentine belt shortly after the serpentine belt was changed around 60,000. Then engine computer failed at 70,000 miles. The last straw was when the air bag computer failed.

So please don't tell me that customers haven't had a legitimate beef about quality. I'm happy as heck with my '05 Montego, but if I hadn't been a bit of a captive customer for the last two decades, I would have defected to Toyota or Honda a long time ago.

TomServo92 hit the nail right on the head when he said that the apperance of a dyfuntional relationship between management and labor scares some customers off, because it's very true.

I had a chance today to evaluate the 2008 Ford Taurus through a walk-around and sit-in. I came away extraordinarily impressed with it, both inside and out. In black or dark blue, it's a stunning form, looking way classier and higher-buck than it really is. In other colors, it still looks very impressive.

The interior is just night and day compared with the Five Hundred. The two-tone color, seating, switchgear with the chrome accents, and gauges are head and shoulders improved. This is a car that can sell for almost $33,000 fully loaded, and hardly embarrasses itself in that price range. Materials are beyond reproach.

Those who have driven it have told me it drives exactly like a premium full-size sedan should. Controlled in turns, perfectly isolated from harsh bumps, quiet as a bank vault, and very speedy.

Safety equipment is hard to argue with. 5-stars all around, all the electronic driving aids, and all-wheel drive would lead me to believe it's virtually impossible to lose control, and if so, you're protected against practically anything.

Price is also hard to argue with. $24,000 to start (still plenty well equipped in base form), with reasonably priced options.

I have a few issues. Where are the projector/xenon lights? Why does the top storage compartment feel chintzy (only interior flaw)? Why is there no handling/sport package?

Other than that, I have no argument or issue with the car. It's perfect in every way, and its handful of shortcomings list far few than its competitors. Can anyone possibly explain to me why this is not the best in class? Avalon, Maxima, Lucerne, Impala, and V6 Charger/300?

The consumer needs a reason to leave the current brand they have.

The consumer will normally return to the same product if everything is O.K. with their current product. Very few will change companies if the current product meets their needs.

As such, the inverse of the noted problem is the issue. "It's hard to gain new customers, but easy to lose old customers."

And that is what happen to the Big 3 sales. The consumer flock went to a different field of grass during the '70 - '90s period.

Some of the reasons consumers switch to a different product or company are:

Product reliability issues

Poor dealership issue

Company ethics

Safety

I'm sure we can all agree that the Big 3 has had issues with all four.

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota is at least trying to help. Even with the media's efforts to stifle Toyota's recall woes, the company is having so many that its becoming notable. Of course, Honda will be willing to greet many with open arms.

Taurus has dumped any resemblance to the visual cues of a rental car image. It has one of the best interiors in it class. Competitive top-end engine and a good price. What does it lack? Consumer confidence is indeed one thing. However, I'm not sure the public is distinguishing this car from its Five-Hundred predecessor. They look a lot alike except from the front and the Five-Hundred left people chilled.

I think the public would look at Taurus, but you have to remember that we are in a small minority in that not every car buyer is up to date on what is available out there. It will take a little while for people to even realize there is a new Accord out now. Its going to take some time to get people familiar with the new Taurus...that is unless Ford aggressively advertises and markets it.

Bullshit! I've owned several FWD Ford vehicles and never had a problem with any of them.

I now own a 2005 Montego, and except for one Chevy Lumina I had as a company car, I've driven nothing but Ford products, even when for company cars I had other choices. Furthermore, as far as the DN5/D186/DN101 Taurus/Sable, from November 1985 to July 2005 (when I got the Montego), I had a 1986 Sable, a 1990, 1992 and a 1996 Taurus. Personally, you can go stuff your "Bullshit" comment. As much as I loved my Tauruses and Sable, a bigger POS I never drove. The '86, '90, and 92 all had their transmissions fail around 60,000 miles. The '86 had one foot wide sections of paint peel off the front bumper, despite the fact that it was expertly detailed. Then the '86's alternator went out at 70,000 miles without warning. Idiot light should have went off to give warning that the alternator failed, and the dealer could not determine what was wrong with the warning light circuit. On the '86, '90, and 92, they would eat brake pads every 18,000 to 24,000 miles. Then there's the four cassette /radios that the '86 had changed under warranty. The cruise control quit at 17,000 miles, necessitating a computer replacement.

The '96? Let's start with the buzzing noise from the A pillars, that resulted in three times having the front door gaskets replaced under warranty. Brakes and transmission were drastically improved over the previous models, but then the idler pulley went out and killed the serpentine belt shortly after the serpentine belt was changed around 60,000. Then engine computer failed at 70,000 miles. The last straw was when the air bag computer failed.

So please don't tell me that customers haven't had a legitimate beef about quality. I'm happy as heck with my '05 Montego, but if I hadn't been a bit of a captive customer for the last two decades, I would have defected to Toyota or Honda a long time ago.

TomServo92 hit the nail right on the head when he said that the apperance of a dyfuntional relationship between management and labor scares some customers off, because it's very true.

Man, did you have a lot of Taurus Troubles, Len. Our '94 had front brakes replaced at 60K and that is the only brake repair/replacement ever needed. The rear shoe are original. Ours has 101K on it and maybe the fact that my wife drove it for all these years made a difference. It's been a very reliable and long lasting car. Only a water pump, idler and tensioner pulleys needed replacing (above normal maintenance). Paint is near perfect too.

i currently have 30k in my 06 500. it's a great car. i think it needs a more sophisticated interior and seats with more lateral supports and a console that cuts less into your leg. the center stack needs to lose the brick.

overall, i love my car and it gives unmatched safety, utility, value in the sedan segment. for so many reasons.

alas, the styling is a let down for so many people.

i tested an 08 taurus. it is improved in many ways and they attempted to clean up the looks. i think it comes down to looks and 'ford's old rep'.

but then why have my 3 new fords all been totally reliable (95 tbird, 99SHO, 06 500)? And the 89 SHO I bought used was reliable except for having to replace clutches. The engine was bulletproof.

Ford needs to get drivers into this car. Everyone who sits in my car says 'wow, nice car' and then is shocked when i tell them its a Ford.

Ford needs big promotions to get people into these cars and once they do, i think the solid virtues will have to come out.

I passed on a Maxima to get my 500. The Maxima was sportier but had an evil interior and felt cheap. The taurus now outlcasses so many cars in the sedan segment in many ways its sick . People just cannot get past the unresolved styling I think is what is hurting it now.

I would recommend a taurus to everyone I possibly could.

Edited by regfootball