VW's one-litre 282 mpg concept car is going into production

Ford Jellymoulds

VW's one-litre car could be a big noise

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 29/09/2007

Volkswagen could be about to revive its amazing, one-litre concept car for production.

The project, which was instigated in 1998 by former VW chairman Dr Ferdinand Piëch, was unveiled to the world in 2003 (see our driving impressions in Motoring, July 5 2003).

That carbon-fibre tandem two-seater had a noisy 300cc, 8.5bhp single-cylinder diesel engine capable of delivering 282mpg and cutting the average British motorist's fuel bills and carbon dioxide emissions by up to 90 per cent.

Daily Telegraph............

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.j.../mnlitre129.xml

VW's one-litre car could be a big noise

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 29/09/2007

Volkswagen could be about to revive its amazing, one-litre concept car for production.

The project, which was instigated in 1998 by former VW chairman Dr Ferdinand Piëch, was unveiled to the world in 2003 (see our driving impressions in Motoring, July 5 2003).

That carbon-fibre tandem two-seater had a noisy 300cc, 8.5bhp single-cylinder diesel engine capable of delivering 282mpg and cutting the average British motorist's fuel bills and carbon dioxide emissions by up to 90 per cent.

Daily Telegraph............

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.j.../mnlitre129.xml

282 mpgs !!?!? thats crazy.

umm, 1 liter should be more than 300 ccs. If my memory serves me, that should be much closer to 1000 ccs, right?

yes - cc-cubic centimeter - liter is cubic decimeter = this engine is a 0.3l L 1 cylinder engine.

the mileage is in MILES per gallon - and it impressive .

Igor

here is more on the car:

http://www.cartype.com/page.cfm?id=934&amp...All&dec=All

what I do not understand is how 8hp gets any car moving ... that is crazy.

here are some numbers:

HP to Weight Ratio :: 79.9 LB / HP

HP / Liter :: 26.7 BHP / Liter

Weight :: 639 lbs | 289.9 kg

what is the usual Lb/HP ratio?

Igor

Edited by igor

That makes no sense with regards to HP to weight. I ride a Honda Ruckus scooter. It's 194 lbs. It's 5hp stock. Top speed is 42mph stock. I get about 90mpg.

All of that considered, just don't see how a much heavier car can get 282 mpg.

Diesel engine, aerodynamics & transmission design.

Scooters & Bikes are horrible when it comes to drag, and their gearing typically favors performance.

That said, I doubt that this VW would return 282mpg in ANY real world test. Maybe 120 -150mpg.

I think it would be possible. I currently have a snowmobile, a 2005 Yamaha that has a 3 cylinder 972cc engine which puts out 120HP. Snowmobiles get terrible fuel economy however, but an engine like this, tuned right, with an efficient transmission and light weight would do very well on fuel. Not like the VW, however at least it would have enough power to move itself and probably still get over 50MPG. Maybe a modern day Metro.

Remember the Geo Metro??? Those things were amazing on fuel.

Edited by 2005Explorer