2005 Nissan maxima to 2008 Ford taurus !!

coobie

After owning nothing but GM,ford,and dodge the last 35 plus years,we made the mistake of buying a 2005 Nissan maxima.In the first year 2 recalls on for sub frame rusting and the drivers seat might catch on fire.Both rear door wheel wells had rust in them and had to be painted by the dealer.,all this with 31,000 miles on the OD.Needless to say we bought a new 2008 Ford taurus limited this week,very nice car IMHO.coobie

I had a 1998 Nissan Maxima and I absolutely loved it, it was an outstanding car even though I didn't touch it until it had 134,000 miles on it. We sold it earlier this year with 140-something, and it'll probably hit 200 without issue.

That said, the Maximas since they went full-sized look really bloated. I hope they do something to restore its 4-door-sports-car image when it gets redesigned, it'll be a shame if the Altima makes it irrelevant.

Their biggest problem with the Maxima was not making it AWD when the bloated it out. The platform can certainly support it (the Murano exists on said platform). The exterior is not bad looking at all. The first interior was sub par, but, then, so was all of Nissan's efforts at that point. The handling and performance was decent, though, torque steer was a bit of an issue. I was disappointed that the Maxima update for this model year didn't include using the D37 as the engine (for the added torque) and making it an AWD vehicle. That would have restored the sporting character which made the car what it was. The interior redux was nice. The exterior is still good. It just needs more in the powertrain and handling department.

post-19776-1123470371_thumb.jpg

Their biggest problem with the Maxima was not making it AWD when the bloated it out. The platform can certainly support it (the Murano exists on said platform). The exterior is not bad looking at all. The first interior was sub par, but, then, so was all of Nissan's efforts at that point. The handling and performance was decent, though, torque steer was a bit of an issue. I was disappointed that the Maxima update for this model year didn't include using the D37 as the engine (for the added torque) and making it an AWD vehicle. That would have restored the sporting character which made the car what it was. The interior redux was nice. The exterior is still good. It just needs more in the powertrain and handling department.

Hey hey, the D37 belongs to Ford lol, you mean the VQ.

The Maxima has usually had a loyal following. I remember the 90-98 versions were actually quite reliable, from personal observation, then it all went down hill after that. Nissan didn't position the Maxima to be it's savior, it's more of an "executive personal sedan" as I view it, predominately male drivers for the most part. Can't say I like anything with the current generation other than it's engines have always been initially good, cept on the 8-10 year period, they start leaking oil massively, specially with the 10+ yr old ones.

I remember a relative of mine who had a 97, and for the first few years it was bullet-proof, then suddenly it started going downhill. He wouldn't touch domestics previous to that experience, and suddenly he traded that in for a 300C, go figure... ;)

Problem was that the Camry and Accord grew and stole customers looking for a "nice" Asian car. Also, T-H pushed for higher volume, and Nissan got left in the dust in the late 90s, hence the Renault bail out. The cult following didsn't help pay the bills.

The 90's 4DSC may have been nice, but if reintroduced today, would be nearly as small as a Civic.

Edited by 630land