protect your Canadian dealers!

Financeman68

I really hope that Ford USA reads this post and responds with some immediate action.

I work at a small dealership here in Canada and we sell around 25 units a month.

Since the Canadian dollar has risen many of our customers are now talking with brokers to buy imported vehicles from the USA.

Years ago when our dollar was low, Ford made all of us aware of the fact that we were NOT allowed to sell a vehicles to anyone who intended to sell that vehicle to an American. Many dealerships were caught selling these vehicles to the USA brokers and there were huge fines given to Canadian dealers.

Now the DSSA that is in place for us is different than US dealers and they can sell as many vehicles into Canada as they see fit. While larger metro dealerships might be able to absorb losses of 3-5 units a month, rural dealerships are going to be hard pressed to survive with our customers taking vehicle profit southward.

I love this company and I love my dealership, so I am telling you that we are going to need some help.

Unless there is something done, you will find small dealerships like ours closing and THAT is not an exageration. Worse yet is the exodus of talent leaving small dealerships for more stability. I am fully expecting a 30% pay cut this year and my family is more important to me than this brand.

Lower our prices to a level we should be at, quit gouging the Canadian consumer, do what is right...PLEASE!

I hear all the time about how we started this industry, it would be nice to be leading the changes that are needed.

Our very survival depends on your actions.

you'll make your money off service when they realize Ford of Canada won't honour the warranty or recalls on a US car.

And as a finance guy, I'm sure you know there is more money in that than the sale of a new car.

Really. How much will you make on bad Freestyle brakes? New crusie control modules. Burned out power window motors.

Don't cut off your nose...

I really hope that Ford USA reads this post and responds with some immediate action.

I work at a small dealership here in Canada and we sell around 25 units a month.

Since the Canadian dollar has risen many of our customers are now talking with brokers to buy imported vehicles from the USA.

Years ago when our dollar was low, Ford made all of us aware of the fact that we were NOT allowed to sell a vehicles to anyone who intended to sell that vehicle to an American. Many dealerships were caught selling these vehicles to the USA brokers and there were huge fines given to Canadian dealers.

Now the DSSA that is in place for us is different than US dealers and they can sell as many vehicles into Canada as they see fit. While larger metro dealerships might be able to absorb losses of 3-5 units a month, rural dealerships are going to be hard pressed to survive with our customers taking vehicle profit southward.

I love this company and I love my dealership, so I am telling you that we are going to need some help.

Unless there is something done, you will find small dealerships like ours closing and THAT is not an exageration. Worse yet is the exodus of talent leaving small dealerships for more stability. I am fully expecting a 30% pay cut this year and my family is more important to me than this brand.

Lower our prices to a level we should be at, quit gouging the Canadian consumer, do what is right...PLEASE!

I hear all the time about how we started this industry, it would be nice to be leading the changes that are needed.

Our very survival depends on your actions.

absolutely correct......i am a ford employee living in canada and would love to purchase a new vehicle....but there is no way i will buy the vehicle in canada right now until the price is the same as the american pricing....i will either wait until they price it fairly or not buy at all.....maybe even go over the border to buy when the time comes.buying over the border would be 9k cheaper even after the taxes.if ford wants my money they better do something about this problem soon....i will remain loyal to my company and only buy ford....but i will not buy until the pricing is fair.simple as that.

absolutely correct......i am a ford employee living in canada and would love to purchase a new vehicle....but there is no way i will buy the vehicle in canada right now until the price is the same as the american pricing....i will either wait until they price it fairly or not buy at all.....maybe even go over the border to buy when the time comes.buying over the border would be 9k cheaper even after the taxes.if ford wants my money they better do something about this problem soon....i will remain loyal to my company and only buy ford....but i will not buy until the pricing is fair.simple as that.

does this mean you'll stop buying food, clothes, gas, home heating, electricity, music, cable TV, computers, electronics, building supplies, etc?

I'm so sick of this US pricing argument. It isn't just Ford. Toyota, Honda, BMW, GM. All cars are in the same boat. And it isn't just cars people. It's EVERYTHING!

Wake the fuck up.

Edited by J-150

does this mean you'll stop buying food, clothes, gas, home heating, electricity, music, cable TV, computers, electronics, building supplies, etc?

I'm so sick of this US pricing argument. It isn't just Ford. Toyota, Honda, BMW, GM. All cars are in the same boat. And it isn't just cars people. It's EVERYTHING!

Wake the fuck up.

Prices on those things are dropping, time to pass the no-doze

As far as warranty goes, the sales department in dealerships don't get paid from service. If we sell less vehicles we get paid less....period.

Be leaders Ford, don't wait for the other guy.

post-16288-1125282844_thumb.jpg

post-16288-1125282925_thumb.jpg

post-16288-1125283050_thumb.jpg

post-16288-1125283214_thumb.jpg

Edited by Financeman68

Wake the fuck up.

No this means that if they absolutely have to buy they will eventually buy from a competitor who offers a fair price. Ford's decision to inflate the prices in Canada will cost them market share in the long run. If they didn't know better Ford could easily get away with it, but Canadians live on the same continent and can see for their selves the price disparity with one simple drive across the Windsor bridge! The fact is they know what is going on and the louder the cry gets, the more it will cost Ford in the long run! I have two questions. Is it better to sell a person one car or several over a period of time? What happens when a customer feels like they have been screwed?

Edited by Furious1Auto

riiigghhhhttt

sure they are.

So you are saying that because you are being screwed by the cost of one commodity, you should be happy when others try to screw you! J-150 Your position is alienating a loyal customer. I work at Ford and want people to be happy, We need to give them a quality vehicle at a fair price! It's funny that all I here about is this global economy, why can't they give continental pricing?

I feel screwed anytime I buy anything. I don't see any prices coming down, anywhere on any product in any category.

That's not what I asked you. If a customer gets a bad taste in their mouth then, the car we could have sold them once they have paid off their current one (or have returned on a lease) will go to a competitor. We then would be lucky to see them return after a 2 or 5 year period, and during that time may lose their family and friends based recommendation!

That's not what I asked you. If a customer gets a bad taste in their mouth then, the car we could have sold them once they have paid off their current one (or have returned on a lease) will go to a competitor. We then would be lucky to see them return after a 2 or 5 year period, and during that time may lose their family and friends based recommendation!

No.

I understand the argument.

What I don't understand is why Ford is being centered out.

All the manufacturers are doing it. All other companies are doing it too. Fine don't buy a Ford. Go buy a Candian Toyota that is still priced too high as well. Or a Honda or a Nissan or a BMW and the list goes on.

I don't understand how "Ford" is screwing customers when all the automakers are guilty of the same thing.

Anyone that skips Fords town to buy a Toyota that has also not come down in price is not a loyal customer to begin with. They are just as likely to buy a Toyota because they don't like the turn signal stalk in their Taurus.

All day long I read posts of people that are supposed to be loyal customers. Truth is, they are not. They just happen to have bought Fords and like to bitch and moan.

I also stand by the logic that if one stops buying a Ford because of the currency difference, they better plan a hippy lifestyle as there is a whole lot of product out there that has not come down in price. I don't hear any Canadians telling me that they will stop buying from Loblaws, Sobeys, Metro or Safeway because prices haven't come down.

It also isn't stopping people from buying big screens at Best Buy because prices haven't come down.

So like I said. There are a lot of people full of shit out there.

So you are saying that because you are being screwed by the cost of one commodity, you should be happy when others try to screw you! J-150 Your position is alienating a loyal customer. I work at Ford and want people to be happy, We need to give them a quality vehicle at a fair price! It's funny that all I here about is this global economy, why can't they give continental pricing?

I agree 100% Furious.

But read my post above this one. Yes people in Canada are paying too much. But centering out Ford is assinine. Yes they are guilty. But find me a carmaker (of everyday cars) that isn't guilty. Truth is, they can leave Ford. But they won't be finding any cars from the others that have come down in price.

This kind of disgruntled customer is likely to leave anyway and spend too much on a Toyota out of spite. That kind of customer can't be retained. Not if they only buy the cheapest or what's on sale.

Ford has a whole lot of other areas that need to be addressed first. Like continued quality improvement, better designs, class leading powertrains, better warranty coverage, better customer service relations and a 100% turnaround of the dealer network and how they treat retail customers on the front line.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I do not want Ford to suffer either. I want them to recover and reclaim some of the glory they had in the 90s when they almost surpassed GM. In fact, I would love for Ford to gain to reclaim position #2 again. Maybe a few years later, surpass Toyota to be #1. Ford has proven time and time again that when they need to do it, they can pull it off and put out the class leader that makes all the other automakers shit their pants (97 F150, 2004 F150, first gen Taurus, etc)

No.

I understand the argument.

What I don't understand is why Ford is being centered out.

All the manufacturers are doing it. All other companies are doing it too. Fine don't buy a Ford. Go buy a Candian Toyota that is still priced too high as well. Or a Honda or a Nissan or a BMW and the list goes on.

I don't understand how "Ford" is screwing customers when all the automakers are guilty of the same thing.

Anyone that skips Fords town to buy a Toyota that has also not come down in price is not a loyal customer to begin with. They are just as likely to buy a Toyota because they don't like the turn signal stalk in their Taurus.

All day long I read posts of people that are supposed to be loyal customers. Truth is, they are not. They just happen to have bought Fords and like to bitch and moan.

I also stand by the logic that if one stops buying a Ford because of the currency difference, they better plan a hippy lifestyle as there is a whole lot of product out there that has not come down in price. I don't hear any Canadians telling me that they will stop buying from Loblaws, Sobeys, Metro or Safeway because prices haven't come down.

It also isn't stopping people from buying big screens at Best Buy because prices haven't come down.

I just have one question....Whats Metro?

Sorry, you're wrong.

I can attest to it. Seeing that I type this looking at my 60" Sony XBR2 1080p HDTV that I bought in NY last month for $2500. Since even on sale the price here at BestBuy is $4500, saving $2000 (44%) outweighed the feelings of the need to buy locally. The LEER cap for my new Ranger, $1600 in NY as opposed to $2100 here. And the new Goodyear tires for my car, $550 as opposed to $850.

So instead of spending $7500 here, I spent $4700 there and saved $2800. For the exact same product off the exact same assembly line.

NY merchants 3. Ontario merchants 0. It's not the dealer's fault -- Sony, LEER and Goodyear make their money either way. But it's the dealers that lose out. That's what I think the OP is trying to address.

Hey, given a price even close, I'd buy locally in a heartbeat. Don't give me the "buying locally supports your neighbours" shpiel, I don't see too many people locally feeling guilty driving their Hondas or Toyotas or Kias or Hyundais, so I'm not going to beat myself up over it too much.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

Sorry, you're wrong.

I can attest to it. Seeing that I type this looking at my 60" Sony XBR2 1080p HDTV that I bought in NY last month for $2500. Since even on sale the price here at BestBuy is $4500, saving $2000 (44%) outweighed the feelings of the need to buy locally. The LEER cap for my new Ranger, $1600 in NY as opposed to $2100 here. And the new Goodyear tires for my car, $550 as opposed to $850.

So instead of spending $7500 here, I spent $4700 there and saved $2800. For the exact same product off the exact same assembly line.

NY merchants 3. Ontario merchants 0. It's not the dealer's fault -- Sony, LEER and Goodyear make their money either way. But it's the dealers that lose out. That's what I think the OP is trying to address.

Hey, given a price even close, I'd buy locally in a heartbeat. Don't give me the "buying locally supports your neighbours" shpiel, I don't see too many people locally feeling guilty driving their Hondas or Toyotas or Kias or Hyundais, so I'm not going to beat myself up over it too much.

that works for peopls from Hamilton, Windosr etc. But what about Toronto? The trip to NY may be too far. What about those from Barrie or North Bay?

Everyone else is doing it so that makes it right?

No it makes it a cowardly out.

Be the leader, don't follow the sheep!

All we ever hear is how Ford started this and lead that.............good then lead this so I don't have to jump ship for the first company that decides it's dealer strength and reputation is worth more in the long run than the screwing in the short term.

EVERYTHING is depending on this...............and if you think I am exagerating then you guys don't talk to the employees of dealerships.

There are a ton of us on the bubble.

btw J150.....do you work for Ford?....then STFU and let the adults talk for a min would you

Edited by Financeman68

that works for peopls from Hamilton, Windosr etc. But what about Toronto? The trip to NY may be too far. What about those from Barrie or North Bay?

Niagara Falls is less than 90 minutes away from TO and Buffalo is only 15 minutes farther. If you can't be bothered to drive a couple of hours to save 3 grand then you must have way more money than I do.

It is said that 80% of Canada's population lives within 2 hours of the US-Canadian border. I doubt that the Canadian dealer body can afford to lose that kind of business.

btw J150.....do you work for Ford?....then STFU and let the adults talk for a min would you

when you become an adult, let me know.

let me guess, you deal with your clients the same way. Another typical Ford dealer. Sorry dude. You dealer assholes are losing more customers than any UAW, bad management or bad product.

Niagara Falls is less than 90 minutes away from TO and Buffalo is only 15 minutes farther. If you can't be bothered to drive a couple of hours to save 3 grand then you must have way more money than I do.

It is said that 80% of Canada's population lives within 2 hours of the US-Canadian border. I doubt that the Canadian dealer body can afford to lose that kind of business.

Hey, I'm not saying its right. Im saying that everyone is doing it. So I don't see how Ford is being so evil that they need to be centered out.

Are they wrong for doing it? Yes. 110%!

But let's not center out one company. Ford has been centered out one too many times and has been a sacrificial goat for an iducstry that is equally guilty.

That is my point.

And if someone buys their car from Buffalo, then they better get used to the idea of paying a whole bunch out of pocket as reapirs will not be covered under a Canadian warranty.

when you become an adult, let me know.

let me guess, you deal with your clients the same way. Another typical Ford dealer. Sorry dude. You dealer assholes are losing more customers than any UAW, bad management or bad product.

Very good. I agree with you. There is no reason to single out Ford here. All prices are currently inflated and I would hope that the Office of Consumer Affairs is looking into the problem. Despite being the government trusting person I am, I have my doubts about that.

Hey, I'm not saying its right. Im saying that everyone is doing it. So I don't see how Ford is being so evil that they need to be centered out.

I think you might be misreading the OP's intent or being overly defensive of Ford. The OP works at a Ford dealer. He can't speak for GM or Toyota dealers, he can only speak for Ford dealers. His concern is with the company that he deals through; let the Toyo or GM or Hondas dealers fight their own battles -- I read nothing in his post to seem like he is demonizing Ford at all. Seems like he is imploring Ford to be a leader not a follower.

If Toyota announced tomorrow that it was dropping their Canadian prices to bring them in line with US prices, the media would be doing a circle-jerk praising them; again the consumer would find another excuse for not buying from us and again we look like the horse's ass. Do we always have to be second (or third or fourth) in everything?

Edited by OAC_Sparky

I can see how you snuck the truck cap and tires into the country (just having them installed), but didn't you have to pay duties on the Sony? You can't tuck it under your shirt and sneak it across.

I can see how you snuck the truck cap and tires into the country (just having them installed), but didn't you have to pay duties on the Sony? You can't tuck it under your shirt and sneak it across.

No duties, just taxes. Declared all of it. The prices I listed were pre-tax. The taxes are the same whether you pay at the border or at the store here, only you're paying less tax on a smaller pricetag.

Edit: Just to further illustrate my point:

The cost of my TV in Canada

Price of the same TV at Sears in NY

At the time, you saved an additional $250 if you put it on your Sears card.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

No duties, just taxes. Declared all of it. The prices I listed were pre-tax. The taxes are the same whether you pay at the border or at the store here, only you're paying less tax on a smaller pricetag.

Edit: Just to further illustrate my point:

The cost of my TV in Canada

Price of the same TV at Sears in NY

At the time, you saved an additional $250 if you put it on your Sears card.

I put my old Canadian postal code in to show the comparo OAC is talking about.

From the Brick price list CADWeb Price* $4999.97 (converted to USD$5,146.69 ) tax is 14% which is CAD$700.00

From USA Sears USD$2599.88 (converted to CAD$ 2,526.17 + tax 14% CAD$354.00

Difference of USD$2,546.81 before tax, savings after tax paid is CAD$2,819.80 or USD$2,902.93

OAC could have bought 2 freakin TV's for the price of 1.

There are consumers I know of that drive from Northern Ontario such as Sudbury etc to save a few thousands on high priced items.

The higher the price such as an automobile the higher the savings. I know Subaru Canada is losing many sales to the USA, with the savings so high the consumer is banking the difference, which is more then enough to cover any work that might be covered under the manufacturers warranty. If a consumers saves $7,000-10,000.00 on a new car purchase, this is quite enough funds to cover any work needed over a period of 4 years, unless of course one is unlucky and buys a lemon.

Edited by MKII