Igor, Whats the word on Ranger?

BORG

I understand your point, however if one needs a truck for work a ranger just won't fit the bill, so in the end it is really a secondary vehicle for many of us. We opted for a F350 DRW diesel for work which on trips has netted a bit over 20mpg and is averaging nearly 16mpg according to the computer in the truck. So the "way better" mileage is somewhat overblown. Our Focus averages between 27 an 29 mpg and the LS averages 22 to 24.........so if mileage is the only criterion then personally, I see little advantage in a Ranger. My point is that for the amount of work a Ranger can do when compared to it's bigger sibling makes the small price advantage negligible..

I regret selling our 1996 Ranger Supercab with the 4 liter V6 in late 1999, trouble is that todays Ranger is essentially no different than that years model with no integral improvements. One gets the feeling that most of the options are afterthoughts with little integration. Seemingly just placed randomly with little concern as to ergonomics.....I most certainly do not want the Ranger to be dropped at all, it just needs some rethink to not open the niche to other manufacturers. There is a point when streamlining and product offerings reach a point where a diminishing return accentuates a downward spiral. While certain divestitures make sense, narrowing the product line too deeply can eventually lead to a dearth of product choice, further alienating loyal customers.......

In any case I wish Ford the best. Have been a loyal Ford Customer since 1964-1/2 with the first 289 Mustang. since then only one non-Ford product was ever in our stable.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know what you mean regarding the Ranger. We have a 2001 4x4 with 100,000 on it and will probably be looking for a replacement this year. It has for the most part been a great truck. Although the gas mileage is not what I would like. We traded a 1994 GMC version of the S10 with 4 wheel drive for the Ranger. The GMC was a great truck also and with the 4.3 we got better mileage then with the 4litre in the Ranger. We are looking at either a Chevy, Dodge or preferably the new F150 with the Chevy Colorado an option.

I don't really need a full size truck but they probably get almost as good as our Ranger does.

I sure like our Ranger and hate to sell it really, I'm not really interested in another Ranger for a couple of reasons, (1) the gas mileage (2) just ready for someting different.

I complain about the mileage but I'm sure it is as good as a Toyota Tacoma and the Dodge small truck.

The Ranger has sure been handy, even if you can't haul and tow like a full size, it has been handier then a shirt pocket...

I know what you mean regarding the Ranger. We have a 2001 4x4 with 100,000 on it and will probably be looking for a replacement this year. It has for the most part been a great truck. Although the gas mileage is not what I would like. We traded a 1994 GMC version of the S10 with 4 wheel drive for the Ranger. The GMC was a great truck also and with the 4.3 we got better mileage then with the 4litre in the Ranger. We are looking at either a Chevy, Dodge or preferably the new F150 with the Chevy Colorado an option.

I don't really need a full size truck but they probably get almost as good as our Ranger does.

I sure like our Ranger and hate to sell it really, I'm not really interested in another Ranger for a couple of reasons, (1) the gas mileage (2) just ready for someting different.

I complain about the mileage but I'm sure it is as good as a Toyota Tacoma and the Dodge small truck.

The Ranger has sure been handy, even if you can't haul and tow like a full size, it has been handier then a shirt pocket...

The new ranger (when ever it comes out...next few years?) would have better mpg and be bigger. Depends if you feel like waiting lol.

The new ranger (when ever it comes out...next few years?) would have better mpg and be bigger. Depends if you feel like waiting lol.

The ole Ranger is still going strong but I don't know if I want to wait a few years. But the Ranger is paid off and that is one big thing in its favor ! ! The Chevy Colorado looks pretty nice and sticker says 22 mpg for a 4 wheel drive model... It would be difficult for me to sign the papers on anything other then a Ford though, all the ones I have owned have been really good, dependable vehicles

The ole Ranger is still going strong but I don't know if I want to wait a few years. But the Ranger is paid off and that is one big thing in its favor ! ! The Chevy Colorado looks pretty nice and sticker says 22 mpg for a 4 wheel drive model... It would be difficult for me to sign the papers on anything other then a Ford though, all the ones I have owned have been really good, dependable vehicles

Ill let you know if i hear more. What i did hear is that Ford announced it would have all new cars in its lineup by 2012. So maybe well see it in 2010 as 2011 model yr or 2011 at the latest as a 2012 model year?

Ill let you know if i hear more. What i did hear is that Ford announced it would have all new cars in its lineup by 2012. So maybe well see it in 2010 as 2011 model yr or 2011 at the latest as a 2012 model year?

For most of my life I've been a GM guy. When I was a kid my dad had a 1968 Ranchero that was a great vehicle, but he wrecked it and bought a 1971 F250 with a 360 engine. The truck drove and road great but it got terrible gas mileage (11 MPG as I recall) and the engine would spat back through the carburator. It ran terribly and the dealer could never fix it, after that he drove nothing buy Chevys the rest of his life.

I bought my first ford in 1997, it was a 2 door Explorer Sport that I just loved. I drove it for well over 100,000 miles and sold it to my best friend for his daughter and it is still going strong.So I am kind of sold on the Ford product now having bought the Ranger and a Escape

Still when and if I buy a new truck this year I will drive the Dodge and Chevy along with the Ford just to see which I like best. I don't know if I really want to wait a couple of more years, but as I say the Ranger is running good and I enjoy driving it..

I appreciate your passing on anything you hear though

• 2 weeks later...

This is a sketch, highly preliminary, of a Ranger idea I did about 5 years ago....note unibody, Ind. fr and rear susp.. Obviously 2wd but awd with better ground clearance a possibility.....

just food for thought.....

sorry, just thought might stimulate this thread a bit....

post-23998-1204555019_thumb.jpg

The problem with unibody construction in a long off-roading vehicle is that you would need to make the structure overly rigid to keep the bodyside panels from deforming (which is exactly the problem the Honda Ridgeline is having), The separation between cab and box makes a convenient flex point specially for off-roaders.

Is there such a thing as overly rigid? Rigidity is key to handling and is also a necessity for carrying weight and general use. In my opinion the Ridgeline is too large a vehicle for unibody construction without the required panel strength.

I believe it can be built to handle light hauling duties and those who need heavy Duty offroad use should look elsewhere... For me personally , AWD would only be used to get thru our rainy season and slippery clay. The rest is light duty hauling chores and as an RV Tow vehicle.

Everyone has different needs......

Is there such a thing as overly rigid? Rigidity is key to handling and is also a necessity for carrying weight and general use. In my opinion the Ridgeline is too large a vehicle for unibody construction without the required panel strength.

That's my point. In order to make a unibody the size of a Ranger (which really isn't much smaller than a Ridgeline), rigidity comes at the cost of weight, which hurts gas mileage. You don't need the rigidity to carry weight -- proof is in a tractor trailer that carries steel coils -- the bed is crowned so it flattens under the weight.

I believe it can be built to handle light hauling duties and those who need heavy Duty offroad use should look elsewhere... For me personally , AWD would only be used to get thru our rainy season and slippery clay. The rest is light duty hauling chores and as an RV Tow vehicle.
Then you are looking at a vehicle smaller than a Ranger. You remove the offroading capabilities or make the payload smaller and you've neutered it. It wouldn't sell (as a truck). Look up "Ford Courier". While there may be a market for it, it's not what the average Ranger customer needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Courier

Edited by ViperPilot