Igor, Whats the word on Ranger?

BORG

Don't get me wrong, even with how current Rangers are I still love those trucks. I still think the look is okay even. Deanh, the problem is that getting 4WD on a Ranger jacks the price really high. I considered one for my first car when I was 16 but couldn't afford one with 4WD and I needed it in Michigan. If I could find a nice 2003-2005 4WD with under 75k miles I'd be really tempted to spend up to $8k for it as a 2nd vehicle.
FWD on ANYTHING adds a 3- 4k premium........one cannot have ones cake and eat it too.....as far as the Ranger goes the ONLY 4x4's i have seen have been high-line 27k models.....

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much is he selling it for?

He's not selling it right now, but he's trying to get into a new vehicle that is a suitable successor. He also burns Ethanol so that's something he would have to lose with a new Ranger. I know he has his heart set on an Escape but he doesn't want to loose the hauling capabilities, which I'm using extensively these days to help renovate the house you see in the picture ;).

Edited by BORG

same reason...they were losing money selling them for the prices the public deemed fair..........and thus eventually they got tossed on the "fleet" heap......

Do you have a spare copy of the spreadsheet Ford gave you that details what they make on each car? I lost mine and need another copy.

Do you have a spare copy of the spreadsheet Ford gave you that details what they make on each car? I lost mine and need another copy.

I can get a Vincent report and you'd be surprised how much money the dealership makes on a car. They made $6,000 on the sale of my LS back in 2005.

I can get a Vincent report and you'd be surprised how much money the dealership makes on a car. They made $6,000 on the sale of my LS back in 2005.

Nah. Could care less what a dealer makes on them. I need a copy of the paper dean is referencing what Ford makes on each vehicle.

Nah. Could care less what a dealer makes on them. I need a copy of the paper dean is referencing what Ford makes on each vehicle.

invoice.....holdback, FDAF and finance reserve.......sometimes Ford gives stairstep bonus's to the dealer in the form of dealer cash....usually on products they want to push for either "leadershipstatus"..ie F-150's or for lack of sales....2008 Focus???? LOL!

So......do I get a copy of that sheet or not? :shrug:

not really a sheet...just a factoery invoice...when trying to get your best deal most will show it if necessary...BUT...and this is a huge BUTT ( LOL ) ...it doesn't mandate that they sell you the vehicle at a certain price....that is vehicle dependent...ie seeing a factory invoice on a GT500 means ???????????

Edited by Deanh

My Dad is on his 3rd Ranger and needs to trade it in for a new one, but the current Ranger is no different than his 2003 Tremor. He doesn't know what to do because the F-150 comparatively equipped is still substantially more on the MSRP. Looking at it from his perspective, a next gen Ranger seems to make sense.

Has he considered the Sport Trac? My sister had a last gen and she really loved it. The current one seems really nice. If Ford wouldn't have cancelled the SVT Sport Trac Adrenaline, it would be in my driveway right now.

ford%20sport%20trac%20adrenalin%208925.jpg

not really a sheet...just a factoery invoice...when trying to get your best deal most will show it if necessary...BUT...and this is a huge BUTT ( LOL ) ...it doesn't mandate that they sell you the vehicle at a certain price....that is vehicle dependent...ie seeing a factory invoice on a GT500 means ???????????

I don't want a factory invoice. I want a copy of the sheet you have that details what Ford Motor Company profits from each sale of each model.

I don't want a factory invoice. I want a copy of the sheet you have that details what Ford Motor Company profits from each sale of each model.

can't tell you what ford as such makes...I would LOVE to know on a $27000 CARGO van...all my knowledge applies to is what the dealer itself makes, THAT applies directly to my income so its a necessary evil....

I don't agree with that at all...there is an un-tapped market there for sure...we sell a BUNCH of Rangers...usually work trucks or loaded Supercabs for the youth market....

I could not agree with you more-for small business's they do not need or want a large truck-even if it is the same price. Most dealer's only have a few RAnger's in stock-and check their resale value-they don't depreciate any where near a large truck.

:headscratch:

Ford wasn't/ isn't making diddly on Rangers, thus they stopped developing ANYTHING.....problem was the price kept going up, customers wouldn't pay what Ford was asking THUS the only way they were selling was with rebates AND financing...more losses....not a huge money maker from the dealership standpoint either........if Ford had kept up developement the price would have been justifiable from a customers standpoint and incentives would not have been as necessary......domino effect......

Has he considered the Sport Trac? My sister had a last gen and she really loved it. The current one seems really nice. If Ford wouldn't have cancelled the SVT Sport Trac Adrenaline, it would be in my driveway right now.

ford%20sport%20trac%20adrenalin%208925.jpg

The biggest problem with the Sport Trac is that the vestigial bed is too small to be useful for real truck work. The two biggest problems with the Ranger is that you cannot seat 4 comfortably and that there isn't a diesel or at least a more fuel efficient/powerful engine available. I have a new '08 Ranger in my driveway. I'm happy with it. But mine's a well-equipped FX4 4x4 and I got it at a good price (A-Plan plus CAW discounts plus $1000 delivery allowance plus 5yr./0% financing). But it's also my 3rd vehicle, so I only have to transport 4 people in it occasionally.

If you really want the Ranger to succeed you need address the current one's shortcomings. 1) to be able to fit 4 people plus have a usable bed because not everyone can afford to keep 3 vehicles. 2) Better fuel efficiency (gas, or offer a diesel). There's no way that a truck that much smaller than an F150 shouldn't achieve better mileage.

Style-wise, I think it's a great-looking truck. But great looks doesn't mean much if it doesn't fit what you need it for.

I remember back in 97 I believe, where there was federal mandate that all cars, or probably vehicles had to have standard dual airbags. Same year the Aerostar, Aspire, Probe, Tbird were dropped.

So yeah because of this I dont doubt Ford will drop the Ranger instead of complying...

I remember back in 97 I believe, where there was federal mandate that all cars, or probably vehicles had to have standard dual airbags. Same year the Aerostar, Aspire, Probe, Tbird were dropped.

So yeah because of this I dont doubt Ford will drop the Ranger instead of complying...

They are dropping it. They are closing the St Paul plant and selling the land.

"in 97 I believe, where there was federal mandate that all cars, or probably vehicles had to have standard dual airbags. Same year the Aerostar, Aspire, Probe, Tbird were dropped."

FYI: The MN12 cars had dual airbags from 1994-97.

Probe was to be dropped anway, the FWD Cougar was originally to be the next Probe. Aerostart was ancient and losing $$$.

Anyway, the only brand new Rangers I ever see are fleet trucks. The youth market of 1986-97 that loved mini-trucks has grown up and today's 20-somethings are not interested. [Who still thinks that 90's era anything is in style?] I never see any brand new compact trucks driven by under 40 y/o people. In fact, it is rare to see ANY new compact/mid size truck [licensed and owned], period.

Edited by 630land