Igor, Whats the word on Ranger?

BORG

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what is going on with Ranger? When is it dead, are there plans for a replacement?

Ford mentioned they may cancel a few factory shutterings in exchange for a better UAW contract, could this save Ranger?

I've heard here that it can't accept side airbags, which will become mandatory in 2009 model year. I think we are supposed to get the global ranger in not too long.

I've heard here that it can't accept side airbags, which will become mandatory in 2009 model year. I think we are supposed to get the global ranger in not too long.

The Thai Ranger won't solve the eroding market problem, not sure why Ford would bother with it, it's not a very good product as is.

The Thai Ranger won't solve the eroding market problem, not sure why Ford would bother with it, it's not a very good product as is.

Small trucks are just out of style. When you could get a base F-150 XL for $16k after rebates it kind of destroyed the Ranger market. That and the Ranger was so old. But I have a ton of good memories of the Ranger and hope they bring back something worthy of the name.

Small trucks are just out of style. When you could get a base F-150 XL for $16k after rebates it kind of destroyed the Ranger market. That and the Ranger was so old. But I have a ton of good memories of the Ranger and hope they bring back something worthy of the name.

I don't agree with that at all...there is an un-tapped market there for sure...we sell a BUNCH of Rangers...usually work trucks or loaded Supercabs for the youth market....

My Dad is on his 3rd Ranger and needs to trade it in for a new one, but the current Ranger is no different than his 2003 Tremor. He doesn't know what to do because the F-150 comparatively equipped is still substantially more on the MSRP. Looking at it from his perspective, a next gen Ranger seems to make sense.

How hard is it in getting seats that have the side airbags bolsters built into it ?

Could be several factors. Vehicle may not be wide enough to accomodate bolsters that have enough room to deploy airbags. Could be the shapes of the doors. Who knows....in either case, I see the problem as more of a benefit than a loss. Ford will finally be forced to retire the old dog and bring us something more competitive. Unfortunately, Ford should have seen this come plenty long ago to rectify the situation before it came to this.

I don't agree with that at all...there is an un-tapped market there for sure...we sell a BUNCH of Rangers...usually work trucks or loaded Supercabs for the youth market....

Frontier, Dakota, Colorado/Canyon sales are all down as well. But I think a well designed and executed Ranger would hit an un-tapped market. Build a nice truck for $15k-$19k and it will sell very well. Just make 4WD standard because a 2WD Ranger is a deathtrap in the snowbelt.

Could be several factors. Vehicle may not be wide enough to accomodate bolsters that have enough room to deploy airbags. Could be the shapes of the doors. Who knows....in either case, I see the problem as more of a benefit than a loss. Ford will finally be forced to retire the old dog and bring us something more competitive. Unfortunately, Ford should have seen this come plenty long ago to rectify the situation before it came to this.

Ford and pre-emption never go together ;)

Frontier, Dakota, Colorado/Canyon sales are all down as well. But I think a well designed and executed Ranger would hit an un-tapped market. Build a nice truck for $15k-$19k and it will sell very well. Just make 4WD standard because a 2WD Ranger is a deathtrap in the snowbelt.

Thats because they ALL suck...now is an opportunity to bring something more "trendy" and desirable to the market.........and4wd standard...HUH?....why would I like to pay 3k more for something YOU need and not I???????.....styling and novelty are what would bring customers in this segment.NOT the current faceless shameless trash that now occupies it.......

A Ranger price like an Escape would be perfect for his needs. He's looking for a capable daily hauler that has good economy but doesn't look like a cheap-ass pickup. The Ranger fits that bill for him, it's small and relatively fuel efficient but is stylish instead of cheap. Try getting an F-150 at the same price and you get a truck you're not proud to drive, even if it's an F-150 (it's still the lesser F-150).

Probably because they can ignore them with no real downside.

There's little downside now because they already lost all of the significant market share they once held. Had they treated them properly and kept them up to date, they wouldn't have lost that market share and would still be VERY significant in their lineup today. The Ranger used to be one of their best-sellers, I believe 4th only behind the F-series, Explorer, and Taurus. Now where is it?

There's little downside now because they already lost all of the significant market share they once held. Had they treated them properly and kept them up to date, they wouldn't have lost that market share and would still be VERY significant in their lineup today. The Ranger used to be one of their best-sellers, I believe 4th only behind the F-series, Explorer, and Taurus. Now where is it?

Ford blew it by doing NOTHING except cosmetic crap......and then it became WAYYY to expensive,,,,,I remember selling std cab work trucks for 9k.......today they are 14ish dependent on rebates etc...

Edited by Deanh

A Ranger price like an Escape would be perfect for his needs. He's looking for a capable daily hauler that has good economy but doesn't look like a cheap-ass pickup. The Ranger fits that bill for him, it's small and relatively fuel efficient but is stylish instead of cheap. Try getting an F-150 at the same price and you get a truck you're not proud to drive, even if it's an F-150 (it's still the lesser F-150).

Don't get me wrong, even with how current Rangers are I still love those trucks. I still think the look is okay even. Deanh, the problem is that getting 4WD on a Ranger jacks the price really high. I considered one for my first car when I was 16 but couldn't afford one with 4WD and I needed it in Michigan. If I could find a nice 2003-2005 4WD with under 75k miles I'd be really tempted to spend up to $8k for it as a 2nd vehicle.

same reason...they were losing money selling them for the prices the public deemed fair..........and thus eventually they got tossed on the "fleet" heap......

Pretty much. I'd say the fleet market for midsize sedans just happens to be a heck of a lot larger than the fleet market for compact pickups, or the Ranger would still probably be selling in pretty substantial (albeit profitless) numbers.