4 Door Vs. 2 Door

I have noticed many threads on this forum about Ford doing Fusion coupe. I have mixed feelings about this. I think the new Accord coupe is much better looking than the 4 door Accord. On the other hand, the Pontiac G6 coupe is ugly and not near as good looking as the 4 door G6. I think the looks of the new 4 door Focus are equal in looks to the 2 door Focus. Also, the Camry is much better looking than the 2 door Solara. And Nissan did a pretty good job on the new Altima coupe. So potentially I think Ford could do cool looking Fusion coupe.

When we go to sales figures though, the case for a coupe makes much less sense. Especially for a company like Ford that is so stressed right now. Reportedly, the Solara run will be ending soon because of low sales. Honda has not had much luck selling coupes sales wise. I doubt if the ugly G6 coupe will be around much longer either. I think the new Altima and Accord coupe have the potential to sell well first couple years, but not long term. Four door vehicles are just so much more popular and practical. They make so much better sense. And in many ways they are better looking on most models save for a few. You also feel like you get more car for the money. Mustang is the exception, but not many others to point to. Monte Carlo days are over. Celica gone. Hard to make case for even sport coupe. You have to wonder how long the new Camaro will be around. Never has made it long term before. Ditto for Challenger. Mustang is the only sport coupe to survive long term. Maybe when Ford is healthy again, it can "experiment with coupe, but coupes are so iffy when it comes to sales and not worth the effort and money. I would much rather see Ford do a sport sedan before any coupe. A Fusion ST with 275 hp+ would float my boat. Not a coupe with tight back seat that is useless.

While not likely in the same volumes as before, there will be a market for cars like the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger just because they aren't your typical coupe. Other kinds of coupes are Accords, Solaras, Altima coupes, etc. have a much smaller market for mainstream. However, I don't see pony cars fading away.

Most manufacturers have a coupe version of their mid-sizers, Nissan just joined the fray with an Alitma coupe. There is a market there, which surprises me! I don't think the market for mid-size coupes are the same people looking at the Mustang, they strike me as wildly different breeds of car. The Mustang is retro funk luxury, a car that lives on its heritage (kinda like a Harley) and is used primarily as a toy in the family fleet. The mid sizer is more trendy and current, appealing more to young people or working professionals who don't have families and want the latest and greatest in technology. Ford may still produce a Fusion coupe, but not with the current generation since the company is very sick right now and doesn't have the resources to do it in a fiscally sound way. In fact, all indications are that Ford did have plans for a Fusion coupe but canceled it and a performance version of the sedan.

Edited by BORG

Wow, the four-door G6 isn't ugly by any means but I'm in love with the coupe, which got good reviews for styling as far as I could tell. The most recent Solara is hideous, though.

All in all I think a coupe helps the whole line as much as it drives its own sales, especially for a company that needs to bring a sporty perception back to its midsizers. A Fusion coupe would also stand out from the crowd because the other mid-size coupes--the G6, Solara, Altima, etc--are of the swoopier variety. Something hard-edged and high-belted like the Fusion would be an interesting shakeup in that market.

All in all I think a coupe helps the whole line as much as it drives its own sales, especially for a company that needs to bring a sporty perception back to its midsizers. A Fusion coupe would also stand out from the crowd because the other mid-size coupes--the G6, Solara, Altima, etc--are of the swoopier variety. Something hard-edged and high-belted like the Fusion would be an interesting shakeup in that market.

I agree with your viewpoint.

I wish that all cars had a coupe option. There are those of us who are not family oriented, and have no use for a back seat, given a trunk will do. My Civic is a coupe, and IMO looks quite a bit better (especially the rear end) than the sedan. I also agree that the new Accord coupe looks quite a bit better than the sedan.

I'd be interested to see how Ford would execute a Fusion coupe, it could be really cool. Tune the suspension, throw in a six-speed manual with the new V-6, and let the good times roll.