AOL Autos review of the '08 Focus

Mark B. Morrow

Wow - that was one of the better reviews I've read in a long time.

No stupid attempts to be clever or snarky or funny, just a very objective, imformative review that even compared it to a direct competitor without mereley paper racing or comparing stats.

Aside from one quick personal gripe about the fender vent, even the styling was acknowledged as at least a welcome change from the 7-year old design. A reviewer seldom remains more objective than that. I have gone on record here as hating it. From this review you don't know if the writer loves hates or remains indifferent, and on a subjective matter, that's exactly as it should be!

The carry-over power train is mentioned, but compared favorably to more modern competitors. Interior revisions are praised as justly as the old one is slammed.

it's important to recognize that the new Focus is more than mobile housing for the latest Microsoft offering
< That might be the most important line written about this car, by anyone!

Who knew that AOL knew how to review cars? This is how it should be done - just the facts in relevance written in plain english.

Maybe because this reviewer realized that most of America doesn't give a shit about the differences between our Focus and C1.

+1 You speak for me and frankly most people who have driven an older focus knows the platform it is on, has excellent driving dynamics. All of you who bash the current platform have you driven it back to back with the shit other manufacturers sell? My parents have one (110k 1 dealership trip) my girlfriend has one (22k in a year no problems) and I rented one last week while my mustang was getting serviced, and the cars are FUN to drive for such a cheap car.

I love the redesign, refresher, whatever you want to call it, people will think it is new and they will buy it.

I don't understand why people here want Ford to put the most powerful, most fuel efficient motor, coupled to the best transmission, with the best driving dyamics, style, NVH, and interior, along with the best price in class. Seriously the car is a compact, and for what you get it is a great price...end rant.

"Proving that it's necessary to physically compare vehicles before you make a commitment, the Focus and Corolla feel dramatically different on the road. The Focus is quieter and more responsive -- certainly more of a driver's car. The Corolla rides more softly. We prefered the Ford Focus due to its nicer ride, fresh interior and advanced SYNC option.

To our hands, the 2008 Focus made the Corolla feel like a tired rental car."

Edited by range

I stopped in and looked at one of these at the local dealer. . . two door black. It really is not a bad looking car at all. . . it just seems a bit "fat" in the quarter panels under c-pillar or something. Other than that, I don't think it's a bad looking car at all. Goofy dealer had added pin stripes, though, with "Ford" ovals at back edge of stripe--tacky.

I dunno. . . some aftermarket rims and this car isn't bad, IMO.

That car is no better in many of the areas stated, if any.

Please. Our Focus cannot lift it's rear wheel in the rain...unless you use the jack. Oh wait, since our Focus does not have a spare tire, it probably does not have a jack.

GM can import cars here (GTO, G8, Astra...to name a few)

VW can do it with the GTI

Why can't Ford do it? Especially when it is sold in MEXICO!

Edited by P71_CrownVic

Please. Our Focus cannot lift it's rear wheel in the rain...unless you use the jack. Oh wait, since our Focus does not have a spare tire, it probably does not have a jack.

Fact: Cars without spare tires must completely suck.

The sedan comes with a spare tire, and the coup has it optional. I know we see people lining up at VW dealerships, and the GTO sure sold like hell :hysterical:

Ford Can't do it because there is no reason to do it now with the platform about to be replaced.

Drive the new Focus before such rants about the C1 are posted.

I got to rent one the other week (446 miles on it) and was immensely surprised. I still hate the side vents, but everything else was really good - the interior and NVH especially. I was far more impressed than I thought I would be. The dynamics on the new SES feel better than on my SES and much better than on any car in its class that I've driven except the upper level 3s and maybe Civic Si, both of which cost a lot more. Interior was very nice looking. Maybe a little busy, but on par for the course at least and better than many in the class. In person, the exterior wasn't nearly as bad as I feared, but like I said - I still hate those side vents.

If they hadn't made it look so... childish? toyish?... no one would have known it wasn't a C1 when they drove it. Ford could have told us it was a C1 and all the magazines would have believed (until they did some poking around). But its sort of different looks allow to be just that - different, whether you like it or not. It can stand out from the rest of the segment. And Ford needs something distinctive to get people to even consider it. I just wish it didn't have those side vents.

Drive the new Focus before such rants about the C1 are posted.

I got to rent one the other week (446 miles on it) and was immensely surprised. I still hate the side vents, but everything else was really good - the interior and NVH especially. I was far more impressed than I thought I would be. The dynamics on the new SES feel better than on my SES and much better than on any car in its class that I've driven except the upper level 3s and maybe Civic Si, both of which cost a lot more. Interior was very nice looking. Maybe a little busy, but on par for the course at least and better than many in the class. In person, the exterior wasn't nearly as bad as I feared, but like I said - I still hate those side vents.

If they hadn't made it look so... childish? toyish?... no one would have known it wasn't a C1 when they drove it. Ford could have told us it was a C1 and all the magazines would have believed (until they did some poking around). But its sort of different looks allow to be just that - different, whether you like it or not. It can stand out from the rest of the segment. And Ford needs something distinctive to get people to even consider it. I just wish it didn't have those side vents.

Just have the side vents painted body colour. You won't even know they are there.

07_Ford_SD_1_.bmp

+1 You speak for me and frankly most people who have driven an older focus knows the platform it is on, has excellent driving dynamics. All of you who bash the current platform have you driven it back to back with the shit other manufacturers sell? My parents have one (110k 1 dealership trip) my girlfriend has one (22k in a year no problems) and I rented one last week while my mustang was getting serviced, and the cars are FUN to drive for such a cheap car.

My daily driver is an 02 ZX3, the problem with the new car is they've taken all the things out of it that made the original Focus so good.

It's not the platform people don't like, it's the hideous sheetmetal they've attached to it, and the cutting of models (hatches, wagons).

I love the redesign, refresher, whatever you want to call it, people will think it is new and they will buy it.

I don't understand why people here want Ford to put the most powerful, most fuel efficient motor, coupled to the best transmission, with the best driving dyamics, style, NVH, and interior, along with the best price in class. Seriously the car is a compact, and for what you get it is a great price...end rant.

Best style????????????????????????????

That would be the Mazda 3, by leaps and bounds, the 08 focus is one of the worst auto designs ever, and it will always be remembered that way.

There is a huge difference between Arm Chair quarterbacking and actually shopping for a car. I challenge anybody to go shopping for a car like the Focus and see how the prices work out. Value is key in this segment. And I do mean go and price it up, not just compare stickers. The Focus will always be the most car for the money, but it depends how much value the brand has to you that makes the difference.

And it's not just features that make the Focus, it's the refinement. Ford is very good about hitting all the right buttons in terms of NVH, ergonomics, reliability, functionality, durability, etc... You get more style in Mazda, than refinement (or quality). I don't think it's a detriment at all that the new Focus was designed for the domestic market which have certain expectations for their cars. In the end you will have happier customers if not happy journalists.

Edited by BORG

Maybe because this reviewer realized that most of America doesn't give a shit about the differences between our Focus and C1.

Well most Americans don't know about the C1, but one thing is clear, most americans don't give a shit about the focus, its sales numbers are horrendus compared to its japanese competition, or even compare them to when it first launched, but ford let it die on the vine. The focus has to be bargain bin and fleet dumped to move in decent numbers.