At $4 A Gallon, Will We See A Ford Diesel Car

It is only a matter of time befor we get diesels here in large volumes. We have barley scrapred the surface as far as improving combustion ignition engines. The industry has only really started to look more closley at them in the last 15 or so years. Whiel gasoline engines have had decades of research poured in to them. Both at the Manufacturing leval and the Racing leval.

And Diesel fuel prices vary across NA here it is on average 40 to 70 cents cheapr a gallon than regular gasoline.

We already have $4 a gallon gasoline here. Has it affected what people buy to a massive degree? Not at all it does make people think about thier purchases more but it is not like there is a swarm to 45MPG econobox's .

We will be seeing gen 2 ULSD in a few years with even lower Sulphur content. And as the U.S increases Synthetic Crude consumption the sulphur content in Diesel becomes a non issue.

It is only matter of time be for we see disels on much largeer scale as the power plant of choice.

For any manufactuere not be keeping abreast of the compition in this area is stupid and they will pay for it eventually.

Matthew

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For any manufactuere not be keeping abreast of the compition in this area is stupid and they will pay for it eventually.

See, this is the part that makes me wonder why anyone is complaining about Ford's efforts in diesels. It's not like Ford doesn't make or sell any diesels ANYWHERE. They sell them all over the world, and spend quite a bit of R&D on them. It's not like the advances made by international divisions can't easily be applied to engines destined someday for the US market. Ford is going forward with diesels in their light duty trucks in the US, which I think is the perfect place to start. Going much beyond that at this point would likely be a waste of time, considering the progress being made in their hybrid programs, which are going to pay off much sooner. Leave the small displacement diesel development to FoE for now. They can handle it.

See, this is the part that makes me wonder why anyone is complaining about Ford's efforts in diesels. It's not like Ford doesn't make or sell any diesels ANYWHERE. They sell them all over the world, and spend quite a bit of R&D on them. It's not like the advances made by international divisions can't easily be applied to engines destined someday for the US market. Ford is going forward with diesels in their light duty trucks in the US, which I think is the perfect place to start. Going much beyond that at this point would likely be a waste of time, considering the progress being made in their hybrid programs, which are going to pay off much sooner. Leave the small displacement diesel development to FoE for now. They can handle it.

Exactly. As long as Ford is keeping thier eye on it things will be fine they be able to react in a short enough time to to be competitve. But as always it is better to lead than compete. That is the big question. Will Ford be once again be a late comer by not being ont he leading edge with the others. This has burned Ford in the past.

Matthew

Going much beyond that at this point would likely be a waste of time, considering the progress being made in their hybrid programs, which are going to pay off much sooner. Leave the small displacement diesel development to FoE for now. They can handle it.

No, it wouldn't. They are going to have to do it sometime, and God forbid Ford actually be ahead of the 8-ball and introduce a small vehicle (Focus) with a diesel well before GM and Chrysler.

The only reason that the hybrids exist is because it is good PR. Autoweek did a comparison between diesel and hybrid models and, taking into account the extra costs with each technology, diesel had a MUCH sooner payoff in terms of mileage than hybrids.

Hmmm, looks like someone painted that with latex house paint and a brush. :-)

Personally, I agree with Nick. Ford isn't going to be left behind with diesels, they've got the goods/technology and I think that not jumping the gun is good thinking. I imagine that most of us realize that we need to make the transition from fossil fuel to renewable fuel sources sooner or later and that diesels are only part of the answer.

Ethanol will be one of those answers too, it just takes a little time to get the ball rolling in the right direction. For instance, currently we can produce 354 gallons of ethanol from an acre of corn. Brazil produces 662 gallons of ethanol from an acre of sugar. Switchgrass can yield 1150 gallons of ethanol per acre. It can be grown in Canada, the Dakotas, the Southeast and the Southwest (and everywhere in between). It really doesn't need irrigation or fertilization, can be grown on unproductive (food crop wise) land and can be harvested typically twice a growing season/year. Once planted, it grows, is harvested (cut), and then it regrows. It doesn't need to be replanted like sugar or corn.

Someone (farmers) will figure it out and begin growing it. I imagine that there is some rancher somewhere that borders on government lands (marginal) that is planning to "lease" that government land (for next to nothing like they do for grazing) and grow switchgrass and make a ton of money. All you basically have to do is plant it, cut (harvest) it twice a year and sell the cellulose to a refinery. 1,150 gals/acre twice a year? Without all the trips up and down the fields on the tractor plowing, , disking, tilling, spraying herbicides, planting, fertilizing, herbicides, irrigating, etc., etc, harvesting (only to have to start all over next year). It would be a no-brainer. Just need that refinery set up to refine it.

No, it wouldn't. They are going to have to do it sometime, and God forbid Ford actually be ahead of the 8-ball and introduce a small vehicle (Focus) with a diesel well before GM and Chrysler.

The only reason that the hybrids exist is because it is good PR. Autoweek did a comparison between diesel and hybrid models and, taking into account the extra costs with each technology, diesel had a MUCH sooner payoff in terms of mileage than hybrids.

Yes, Ford may have to do diesels in NA sometime. So what? By the time they decide to, they'll be ready. Like I said, is there some magical law that prevents Ford from applying the diesel tech it has developed for other markets to the US market? Ford is not just resting on its laurels in foreign markets with diesels. They are developing them to be cleaner and more efficient, likely with the US market on their radar. What if Ford DID unleash a diesel Focus before GM and Chrysler? That's no guarantee it would do anything for the company. You mentioned hybrids being good for PR -- that's exactly my point. Hybrids are the "it" thing right now. Something tells me a hybrid Focus would sell a hell of a lot better than a diesel Focus anytime in the near future. When that focus in demand changes, Ford will more than likely be ready to bring diesels to the US market.