Kansas City to go idle 6 months?

fordtuff

Read an article in Detnews.com that Kansas City will go idle for 6 months later this year to redesign the escape. Anyone from KC know what is up?

i work there have not heard anything about that, as of yet,loosing the mazda for awhile at the end of april, an a couple of 8 hour weeks in march for some small retooling thats all i know

Read an article in Detnews.com that Kansas City will go idle for 6 months later this year to redesign the escape. Anyone from KC know what is up?

I dont know what is going on in KC but i do know you guys are going to be getting a whole lot

of Atlanta's body shop management team.

I dont know what is going on in KC but i do know you guys are going to be getting a whole lot

of Atlanta's body shop management team.

Good, maybe they will get rid of Osoma. ;)

BTW, don't believe the shit the press writes.

Remember they also said Wixom was safe. :blink:

I don't see the SUV side of KC going idle for that long. 6 months is a little rediculous.

The local put out a bulletin saying that this is false. There is no downtime for the suv as far they know...

Peeps

Well Peeps knowing that you have not been at KCAP long, word of advice, Mr. Jenkins does not always tell the truth, (ask truck body) besides lately managment has been quick to try to answer any rumors with Ford. Does anyone else who has been around awhile think that this is odd?

From The Desk Of Jim Jenkins:

To: All KCAP Employees

Today's edition of the Detroit News featured an article entitled "Ford Readies Escape for Extreme Makeover". The article states that the Kansas City Assembly Plant SUV system will be idled for six months later this year in preparation for the new U377 Escape and Mariner launch.

This statement is false. We have no intentions of shutting down production to prepare for our upcoming launch. In order to support our U377 launch efforts, we will pull ahead our 2007 model year production of the Mazda Tribute to allow us the flexibility to adjust our manufacturing processes.

We do not understand how this misinformation came to be printed. Our Public Affairs department will be in contact with the Detroit News directly to address this issue. It is important that we do not allow this to be a distraction, as we continue to build our current SUVs and prepare for a successful U377 launch.

Jim Jenkins, SUV Lean Mfg. Manager

Kansas City Assembly Plant

PH: 816.459.1204

FX: 816.459.1165

From The Desk Of Jim Jenkins:

To: All KCAP Employees

Today's edition of the Detroit News featured an article entitled "Ford Readies Escape for Extreme Makeover". The article states that the Kansas City Assembly Plant SUV system will be idled for six months later this year in preparation for the new U377 Escape and Mariner launch.

This statement is false. We have no intentions of shutting down production to prepare for our upcoming launch. In order to support our U377 launch efforts, we will pull ahead our 2007 model year production of the Mazda Tribute to allow us the flexibility to adjust our manufacturing processes.

We do not understand how this misinformation came to be printed. Our Public Affairs department will be in contact with the Detroit News directly to address this issue. It is important that we do not allow this to be a distraction, as we continue to build our current SUVs and prepare for a successful U377 launch.

Jim Jenkins, SUV Lean Mfg. Manager

Kansas City Assembly Plant

PH: 816.459.1204

FX: 816.459.1165

I guess that answers that! :bowdown:

Well Peeps knowing that you have not been at KCAP long, word of advice, Mr. Jenkins does not always tell the truth, (ask truck body) besides lately managment has been quick to try to answer any rumors with Ford. Does anyone else who has been around awhile think that this is odd?

What does the length of time that peeps has been at KCAP have to do with her ability to read? Might not have been in that plant very long but does have more seniority than half of the plant, so I would say that entitles Peeps to give an opinion or share with this message board information that she has read in the plant without you critiquing it. Not often, in any plant, that a plant manager or assistant plant manager will put their name on a plant wide bulletin if they do not know it to be true. Hang in the Peeps, but remember, Mr. sparks will fly has been in that building a little longer than you have so, whatever the hell that means, respect it, If it makes him feel better. Perhaps that combined with a couple of Cambells soup labels will get him a free haircut or something. Be good!

Edited by slapshot2

I'm just curious, is there a great deal of resentment towards the transferred people? Are they being accepted? Are they being represented? I'm sure their union dues are being accepted. On a personal note, I know Peeps from OHAP. She's a fantastic worker, doesn't cause any problems and is very willing to work. Peeps, we miss you here. You were always very supportive and protective of your fellow workers and I'm sure that hasn't changed. I'm glad to here that you love the community you've moved your family to. To all our brothers and sisters who moved out there, I hope all is going well. To those of you at KCAP who have welcomed the folks from Ohio, thank you. Your acceptance has really helped them through some difficult transitions.

What does the length of time that peeps has been at KCAP have to do with her ability to read? Might not have been in that plant very long but does have more seniority than half of the plant, so I would say that entitles Peeps to give an opinion or share with this message board information that she has read in the plant without you critiquing it. Not often, in any plant, that a plant manager or assistant plant manager will put their name on a plant wide bulletin if they do not know it to be true. Hang in the Peeps, but remember, Mr. sparks will fly has been in that building a little longer than you have so, whatever the hell that means, respect it, If it makes him feel better. Perhaps that combined with a couple of Cambells soup labels will get him a free haircut or something. Be good!

This has nothing to do with Peeps, just giving her a heads up on the source of the letter in question. Some people need to lighten up and realize not everything is an attack on transfer's. I thought Peeps might need to know about some of the managment she may have to deal with here at KCAP, J.J. is one of worst historically.

I'm just curious, is there a great deal of resentment towards the transferred people? Are they being accepted? Are they being represented? I'm sure their union dues are being accepted. On a personal note, I know Peeps from OHAP. She's a fantastic worker, doesn't cause any problems and is very willing to work. Peeps, we miss you here. You were always very supportive and protective of your fellow workers and I'm sure that hasn't changed. I'm glad to here that you love the community you've moved your family to. To all our brothers and sisters who moved out there, I hope all is going well. To those of you at KCAP who have welcomed the folks from Ohio, thank you. Your acceptance has really helped them through some difficult transitions.

Hi Spring,

Thanks for the kind words...I miss OHAP a lot. Here at KCAP, seniority doesn't mean much if you're from another plant. :shrug: There are some people that have been really nice but far too many that have not been. They won't give us jobs and then say that we don't want to work :shrug: ...it's a whole different world here, for sure.

Even though I think I did the right thing in transferring, I miss OHAP and the nice people there. I hope that soon we'll be accepted. Someone from Edison that transferred here told me that he's been here almost 4 years and he's still treated like an outsider so I don't know.

Have a good one,

Peeps

Thanks for having my back, Slappy! Actually, that is the attitude in the plant as well so I'm getting used to it lol

And uh, follow your own advise about being good, huh?! ;) (Although you're pretty funny when you're bad...)

Peeps

I know I certainly can't speak for anyone other than myself (trust me, the Union would let me know about it if I tried). I for one, have tried to make those transplant people I meet feel welcome. I know that those who transferred would have rather stayed working in their home plants, but things are not always as we would like them to be. If things were the other way, I'd sure want to meet someone like me at another plant. Spring would tell you that I was encouraging as many people from Ohio to come out as possible, helping with links and info and receiving a lot of flak at this end because of it. I don't want to see anyone out of a job, but times are hard all over, and all we have is each other. Solidarity!

I know I certainly can't speak for anyone other than myself (trust me, the Union would let me know about it if I tried). I for one, have tried to make those transplant people I meet feel welcome. I know that those who transferred would have rather stayed working in their home plants, but things are not always as we would like them to be. If things were the other way, I'd sure want to meet someone like me at another plant. Spring would tell you that I was encouraging as many people from Ohio to come out as possible, helping with links and info and receiving a lot of flak at this end because of it. I don't want to see anyone out of a job, but times are hard all over, and all we have is each other. Solidarity!

Kzinti,

I have to tell you, I think it was because you were so outstanding and decent in helping the brothers and sisters here at OHAP that they felt encouraged in coming out to KCAP. If all union members were like you this union would be unstoppable! THANK YOU!

Spring

Kzinti,

I have to tell you, I think it was because you were so outstanding and decent in helping the brothers and sisters here at OHAP that they felt encouraged in coming out to KCAP. If all union members were like you this union would be unstoppable! THANK YOU!

Spring

That's true...I kinda thought that Kzinti's attitude was representative of the attitude at KCAP. Boy was I wrong!!!

IMHO

Please tell me more stories of the separate set of books that Gimpy and the Fishman would keep from J.J. I knew them both in a previous life, and this always confirmed what I (we) suspected. Any story appreciated...This definitely had an adverse impact on your 221 launch back in 03. :idea::idea:

One story I heard was about a couple of Detroit engineers coming to check on a problem. However, the data looked good, not helping the guys at all. One of the inspectors told them to ask gimpy for the real numbers. Reluctantly, they did get the correct numbers from him.

That stuff they pulled back then would be really difficult to do now. All the CMM data goes directly into CM4D. Back then all it took was one SPC guy that collected all the data and could massage it to anything they chose. Some of the times they even presented Perceptron data, which they set tolerances of plus/minus 10mm or more. It sure made the ppk/cpk shine.

The local put out a bulletin saying that this is false. There is no downtime for the suv as far they know...

Peeps

I wrote the article in question (excuse me while I don my Nomex suit) and would like to tell the folks in KC that the memo they received from their local is correct.

The following correction ran in The Detroit News the next day:

"The story should have said production of the Mazda Tribute at a Ford Motor plant in Kansas City will be idled for about six months starting in April. The 2008 Mazda Tribute will be assembled at the plant starting in January 2007. Ford is not scheduled to idle the Kansas City plant to prepare to build the next generation Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner, which share the same platform as the Tribute."

I'm sorry for the confusion this caused at the plant. I know that's easy to say, but I wanted to set the record straight. If any of you would like to contact me directly, just send a message to this account.

Thanks for your understanding.