1997 F-150 with 4.2 engine

kb5zvs

In the last few momths my pickup has not slowed down when I took my foot off gas. I have to take it out of drive and kill the engine to get to slow down. I can put on the brakes and it will stop, but not very fast. Tonight I pulled into my car port and almost ran into the back of my other car. I had to kill it 3 times before it would idle. It only has 61500 miles on it, I bought it new. What can Ford do for me about this?

Thank You

Roy Hall

Edited by Old 1stSgt

In the last few momths my pickup has not slowed down when I took my foot off gas. I have to take it out of drive and kill the engine to get to slow down. I can put on the brakes and it will stop, but not very fast. Tonight I pulled into my car port and almost ran into the back of my other car. I had to kill it 3 times before it would idle. It only has 61500 miles on it, I bought it new. What can Ford do for me about this?

Thank You

Roy Hall

Sarge you're talking about a 9 year old truck with 62k miles on it so unless you've got one heck of an ESP contract on it the only thing i can see Ford doing for you is fixing the problem at one of the Ford dealerships. I don't see any way Ford should be expected to pay for this repair unless you have an Extended Service Plan

And the above poster was correct get it fixed quickly, not only for your safety but the safety of others.

• 2 weeks later...
Sarge you're talking about a 9 year old truck with 62k miles on it so unless you've got one heck of an ESP contract on it the only thing i can see Ford doing for you is fixing the problem at one of the Ford dealerships. I don't see any way Ford should be expected to pay for this repair unless you have an Extended Service Plan

And the above poster was correct get it fixed quickly, not only for your safety but the safety of others.

[/quo

I took it to a local Ford dealer and since it didn't set a code they can't fix it. Since it only happens once in a while there isn't any thing they can do but start replaceing parts.

are you in a cold area?

there was a recall on 97s and 98s back in 98 or 99. There was an issue with cold weather 4.2s having the throttle body develop ice and freezing open.

If this recall has never been done on your truck, I would look at that first.

are you in a cold area?

there was a recall on 97s and 98s back in 98 or 99. There was an issue with cold weather 4.2s having the throttle body develop ice and freezing open.

If this recall has never been done on your truck, I would look at that first.

Thanks, but I live in Oklahoma and it wasn't one of that recall. I have been told that it may be the throttle body sticking. I guess I will look at that.