dual mode hybrid and cylinder deactivation

2003tsport

Not sure if someone has posted something similar I'm sure they have but could Ford get by with a basic dual mode hybrid system similar to the new malibu and cylinder deactivation system that Dodge currently uses in their "hemi" engines? Wouldn't that help create the needed improvement for fuel mileage based on current Cafe standards? I'm not saying combine the three companies systems, which might not be a bad idea to help with costs and bring the American market share back to what it was, but use similar systems if they want to keep it to themselves. Just a thought going through my head. Oh, yea, hello everyone, i'm new here, as if your couldn't tell

post-30583-1198944411_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2003tsport

Not sure if someone has posted something similar I'm sure they have but could Ford get by with a basic dual mode hybrid system similar to the new malibu and cylinder deactivation system that Dodge currently uses in their "hemi" engines? Wouldn't that help create the needed improvement for fuel mileage based on current Cafe standards? I'm not saying combine the three companies systems, which might not be a bad idea to help with costs and bring the American market share back to what it was, but use similar systems if they want to keep it to themselves. Just a thought going through my head. Oh, yea, hello everyone, i'm new here, as if your couldn't tell

Welcome!

Welcome to BON!

And the mild hybrid isn't worth the wieght gain or investment in the resources to manufacture such a system. There aren't enough savings to make up the difference. Dual mode, cylinder deactivation...blah, blah, blah! The Toyota and Ford systems are worth while, you just have to drive the thing for like 200K miles to get your money back.

Welcome!

Thanks for the Welcome just doing a little brainstorming. Isn't the Ford hybrid system in the Escape leased technology from toyota or am I off again? True they are good systems unless most people lease new vehicles to get them on the market it is way to expensive to purchase leading to the 200k break even point

Holy cow a new guy that had something interesting to say. Way to go buddy.

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums! I hope you enjoy your time here!