December & 2007 Premium Sedans

waymondospiff

Just as everyone is going crazy over the unitary Explorer America concept

so too will they marvel at the next FWD/AWD offereings and new RWD offereings.

Ford are taking an evolutionary step with Ecoboost that will enable better packaging in smaller vehicles.

As an example, a Mondeo is the same size as a Fusion but has the internal space of a Taurus.

If it were 3" wider, it would near match a long wheelbased a panther.

This is not meant as an attack on the panthers, just a reality check on where Ford is heading.

Edited by jpd80

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just baffled with the opposition to replacing the panther with a modern RWD platform that can be used globally and for a variety of different vehicles.

That's OK, the opposition doesn't buy new Panthers anyway.

Farleys best marketing trick would be to wind the speedos forward 50,000 miles and sell them for half price.

I'm just baffled with the opposition to replacing the panther with a modern RWD platform that can be used globally and for a variety of different vehicles.

I am not against a uni-body, RWD, V8 replacement for the retail Panthers (keep the current Panthers for the fleet business). But, if a retail platform comes to light, AWD is a waste of time. Like I said, the D3 triplets are there for those people who are inept at handeling a RWD car.

Whats next, an AWD Mustang?

Edited by P71_CrownVic

I don't really mind replacing the panthers, I just cant trust ford to do it well. currently nobody is making a decent RWD vehilce for under $50k

making a design do both often means it cant do either well.

I cant understand the outright hatred towards the BOF platform, as all the reasons to do away with it, aren't reasonable

why do we still need a 10 mpg dinosaur?

(it gets 25 city 30+hwy better than most vehicles offered to replace it)

body on frame is so old fashioned, and weighs too much

(current unibodys of close size are heavier, and not as safe. or handle as well, or hold up well)

v-8s are so neaderthal ( the tighter spread between powerstrokes make it smoother, and easier on drivetrains plus power is nice)

fwd is so much better (says who? more expensive to maintain, fix and keep any length of time, plus its pretty low-rent to drive)

fleet and police like it for a reason, its economical to maintain and reliable. the unibody mopars are working on it, but older officers I've spoken with relate them to the diplomats of old, and they eat brakes, and don't work well for pitt maneuvers. the impala? yeah right, brakes every month, and in the shop as long. 100% detective duty

Not for long....

Ford is doing all they can to make sure that happens. The problem is a lot of their customers still like the Panther, which Ford hates to all ends, and it doesn't fit in with their plans on everyone moving over to a cheaper D3 platform. But, since when has the NEW Ford Motor Company cared about what their customers like?

I don't trust the current management to come even close to creating a new design nearly as high quality as the current Panther. Sure, a lot of people buy cars as a disposable fashion item, but not all. Maybe Ford thinks they cannot compete with the Toyota's and Honda's of the world who look for durability and longevity in a new car.

Other than rear wheel drive, Ford offers very little that you cannot get at any other dealership in town. However, since Ford is broke and desperate, they will try to replace the Panther on the cheap with something cobbed off of a platform they already have in the closet.

It's hard to believe if it wasn't actually happening - throwing out their best products to copy what everyone else is doing.

I'll believe it when I see it. We just past the full 3 year mark with the D3s and so far they have yet to outsell the Panthers for a year. The Panthers have about 50K units on the D3s since 2005.

Not for long........within 7,000 sales.

For 2007:

Panther:

CV 60,901

GM 50,664

TC 26,739

TOTAL: 138,304

D3:

Taurus 33,032

500 35,146

Sable 10,366

Montego 10,755

Taurus X 18,345

Freestyle 23,765

TOTAL: 131,409

MKS and Flex/Lincoln Flex will put D3 over the top of panther - that's the turning point.

If you combine sales from both platforms it's nearly 270,000/year.

Edited by jpd80

Are you that naive to think that the reason the Explorer is not selling is because it is BOF?

What's funny is that the Edge is a unibody and it's a porker, so I doubt there will much weight savings, and no matter what people say around here, the Explorer still sells way better than the Taurus X that they are bastardizing it into..