December & 2007 Premium Sedans

waymondospiff

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you that naive to think that the reason the Explorer is not selling is because it is BOF?

The market is changing to crossovers and car based utilities - that is why they aren't selling as much anymore, BOF in Explorer is not needed.

It is naieve to think all the panthers and Explorers need is refreshening.

Edited by jpd80

The market is changing to crossovers and car based utilities - that is why they aren't selling as much anymore, BOF in Explorer is not needed.

Maybe/maybe not, but it sure as hell needs to be on a beefy RWD platform, not some old FWD car chassis.

Maybe we can call it the Ridgeplorer..

whatever phord cobbles together to replace the panther, will do two things, piss off whatever retail customers the dealer network has been able to keep loyal,

and two, piss off fleet customers who pay the bills for all the other cars ford is pushing down our throats.

and third, if its any size at all, it will be heavier and more cumbersome than what we have now, (its currently 624 lbs heavier than a mustang)and since I haven't heard much rumor about an 8 cylinder ecoflush, I assume it will be a v-6 turd as well. all wonderful selling points if you are Ralph Nader.

whatever phord cobbles together to replace the panther, will do two things, piss off whatever retail customers the dealer network has been able to keep loyal,

and two, piss off fleet customers who pay the bills for all the other cars ford is pushing down our throats.

and third, if its any size at all, it will be heavier and more cumbersome than what we have now, (its currently 624 lbs heavier than a mustang)and since I haven't heard much rumor about an 8 cylinder ecoflush, I assume it will be a v-6 turd as well. all wonderful selling points if you are Ralph Nader.

:rolleyes: is that before, or after you pick up the pieces of Europe.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Putting words in one's mouth is not the way to win an argument. But, what ever makes you feel secure.

Those words have been uttered on these boards many times by panther supporters.

It's OK for you to insinuate I'm naieve I can take that on the chin.

We replaced Explorer down here 5 years ago successfully with Falcon based Territory CUV.

'Nuff said.

Maybe we can call it the Ridgeplorer..

Good one!

I was hoping it was RWD myself as we're due for a Territory replacement in 2010.

Maybe you can call it Territory and retire the Explorer name.

It was registered in the US by Ford last year by the way, I checked.

Edited by jpd80

I guess that would make the Suburban a "fuller" size SUV.

It really doesn't matter, the sales decline of the Explorer has nothing to do with the frame that is under the body. It may have something to do with Ford letting it go stale...

Tahoe is to Chevy what the Expedition is to Ford. Suburban = Expedition EL

You don't see people calling Expedition a midsize SUV do you?

By your figures that affects 30,000 retail customers (50% of Grand Marquis is fleet)

That replacement RWD platform would be the the one Ford AUS and Ford NA are working on.

And the V6 turd you're talking about is in fact a 400 HP version of the Ecoboost.

There's are also the 5.0 version of the Jag V8 and the 6.2 liter DOHC V8

But go ahead and wallow in self pity.

Edited by jpd80

a 400 hp v-6 isn't near as smooth or torquey as a 400 hp v8. my grand national was a great car, but if I dropped a 455 in, it might have been a better car. I like torque, not a 4000 rpm replacement for it.

and I have no self pity, I'm happy with what I have, I'm just disappointed that I cant ever have a new one again, but then ford is saving me a fortune in missing car payments.

my TC does everything I ask of it, I'm happy. when its too slow, the Marauder does what I want very well, sweeping curves at 135? no problem, when that not enough, hook up the programmer, and I have more at the touch of a button.

when both are too tame, I have a 429CJ that idles smooth as glass, and will make my neck hurt. and my fleet of trucks each with its own calling and duties.

too bad my kids will only have limited choices and mabey even driverless cars to look forward to.

a 400 hp GTTDI V6 should be very smooth. BMW has a very nice TT I6.

I can tell you from first hand experience that's a very nice engine (the 300-hp TT I6), placed in a very nice car.

They also are debuting a 4.4L Twin-Turbo V8 engine in the X6 xDrive 50i. It produces 400-hp w/ 450 lb-ft of torque.

I can tell you from first hand experience that's a very nice engine (the 300-hp TT I6), placed in a very nice car.

They also are debuting a 4.4L Twin-Turbo V8 engine in the X6 xDrive 50i. It produces 400-hp w/ 450 lb-ft of torque.

Shhh, your making me salivate. I would love to have a 2008 535.

a 400 hp v-6 isn't near as smooth or torquey as a 400 hp v8. my grand national was a great car, but if I dropped a 455 in, it might have been a better car. I like torque, not a 4000 rpm replacement for it.

That was then, this is now.

Smoothness, should be about the same, but with turbocharging and direct fuel injection and variable valve timing, it's a whole new game.

Check the torque curves for the Eco-Boost I-4 and V-6 on that video posted elsewhere.

Seriously, from what looks like 1,500 rpm, the torque curve is flatter than Utah. Never seen anything like it.

I like torque, not a 4000 rpm replacement for it and I have no self pity, I'm happy with what I have, I'm just disappointed that I cant ever have a new one again, but then ford is saving me a fortune in missing car payments.

340 lbft between 2,000 and 5,000 from 3.5 liters sounds rather torquey to me.

I'm sure Ford has even more great engines coming but hey, by all means live in the past.