Chevrolet Impala - 17,800 - 311,128

Pontiac Grand Prix - 3,499 - 87,622

Chrysler 300 - 9,950 - 120,636

Dodge Charger - 11,115 - 119,289

Dodge Magnum - 2,278 - 30,256

Toyota Avalon - 5,694 - 72,945

Nissan Maxima - 4,047 - 52,574

Hyundai Azera - 1,597 - 21,948

Kia Amanti - 125 - 5,522 (Has the Amanti been cancelled? The volume seems to indicate it has been...)

Well, as far as large FWD sedans based on a chassis designed in the last decade - the Taurus is the sales leader for December.

Scott

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taurus/Taurus X sales seem to finally be picking up, Taurus outsold Crown Vic this month, which it didn't do last month, IIRC.

well since the CV is fleet only, I would hope so. stupid move, but hey...

eh, still glad to see those old man panthers are going away.

that event will likely the the event that pushed ford into oblivion, and the reason I sold my stock BEFORE it went to $7

that event will likely the the event that pushed ford into oblivion, and the reason I sold my stock BEFORE it went to $7

If Ford fades into oblivion there will be many, many reasons and the very, very, very LEAST of them will be the phasing out of the Panthers. That particular event will not even merit a footnote in the obituary.

eh, still glad to see those old man panthers are going away. :lol:

You apparently haven't noticed what's driving these Freestyles and Taurus X models. I swear about 95% of them (which don't account for a lot) are being driven by 50+ grandmother types. I don't think I've seen but one guy driving a Freestyle on the interstate with his wife. Taurus and Sable may be mostly retail, but its the old man car by a larger margin because Grand Marquis is really the only one selling retail in significant numbers. Most Crown Victorias you see are police, sheriff or highway patrol cars driven by from 20+ year old cops or a taxis driven by a large age range.

No, Ford has definitely succeeded in their efforts in developing the new geriatric mobile because you won't see any law enforcement driving them and very few taxis. Those buying them are mostly seniors that are not ready to buy a Buick yet.

Edited by Traveler

No, Ford has definitely succeeded in their efforts in developing the new geriatric mobile because you won't see any law enforcement driving them and very few taxis. Those buying them are mostly seniors that are not ready to buy a Buick yet.

And the important thing is they are lucky if they're breaking even on D3's versus averaging $8K-$10K per unit on Panthers...

guinnessB11.jpg

BRILLIANT!

I see the ancient Panthers are still kicking the very new D3s ass...

Yup. The almost totally retail Taurus/500 and Sable/Montego gave up a whopping 834 sales to the fleet-only Vic and 55%-fleet Marquis! Almost 10% of 8532 sales!! Vs 7698!!!

/sarcasm

Um, please give us your definition of "kicking ass" again.

If you didn't notice, Taurus sold more than Crown Vic for the month of December.

The Taurus and Taurus X did show a little life in December and that was nice surprise. Btw, the Taurus is attracting mostly older drivers for good reasons, but the Taurus X at least in SE MI is attracting younger people with young kids. Almost every Freestyle/Taurus X I see and I see a lot of them on road has younger woman driving them. The Taurus is a great car for an older person...easy to get into, roomy, good fuel mileage, you sit upright about 4 inches higher than other cars, and it's safest car on market. Also add in its great visibility which is big help to older person.

Yup. The almost totally retail Taurus/500 and Sable/Montego gave up a whopping 834 sales to the fleet-only Vic and 55%-fleet Marquis! Almost 10% of 8532 sales!! Vs 7698!!!

/sarcasm

Um, please give us your definition of "kicking ass" again.

111,565 Panthers > 89,299 Five Hundred/Montego/Taurus/Sable

And when I was in school, 111,565 was a bigger number than 89,299

Nice to see the Taurus gaining some traction in a rapidly disintegrating segment.

Yeah, the Taurus outsold the Avalon in December. But CAP certainly needs more product in order to keep it busy, and it will need more than MKS to do it. Ford spent a lot of money on CAP, and need to bring it up to at least 90% capacity to get its investment back. Capacity right now is probably only 50% or so and won't increase much from building 2,000 MKS's/month. It needs more product! Where is the new product?

You have zero proof that Ford is or is not making a profit on the car

Well, common sense says they aren't.

What does it cost to introduce a whole new platform 1 Billion or so?

And what was the cost in changes two years after the introduction 1 million? 5 million? 10 million?

How much profit has Ford really made on a few hundred-thousand cars?

If they are making money on them, great...pump some of that money into advertising it. I, however, think they are still paying for the Five Hundred/Montego's.

Well, common sense says they aren't.

What does it cost to introduce a whole new platform 1 Billion or so?

And what was the cost in changes two years after the introduction 1 million? 5 million? 10 million?

How much profit has Ford really made on a few hundred-thousand cars?

If they are making money on them, great...pump some of that money into advertising it. I, however, think they are still paying for the Five Hundred/Montego's.

Platform is far from new... it's from Volvo. You're dreaming if you think D3 cost more than a billion to bring to market.