Why Buy an Explorer 6 Cyl?

I am thinking about buying a new Mountaineer to replace my 2003 Mountaineer. I currently have the V8 that gets...surprise surprise....13MPG around town and 19 on the road, exactly what the new "real world" sticker rating estimates on new Mountaineers. I noticed that the 6 cylinder doesn't get any better mileage. Why is that? Why buy one? Why does Ford even MAKE one if it can't offer better fuel economy with the reduced power?

I am thinking about buying a new Mountaineer to replace my 2003 Mountaineer. I currently have the V8 that gets...surprise surprise....13MPG around town and 19 on the road, exactly what the new "real world" sticker rating estimates on new Mountaineers. I noticed that the 6 cylinder doesn't get any better mileage. Why is that? Why buy one? Why does Ford even MAKE one if it can't offer better fuel economy with the reduced power?

Cheaper when you idle? :shrug:

I've been wondering the same thing and it's been debated here quite a bit, IIRC. I'd think it'd be a smart move to throw the 3.5 in the Explorer until the new model comes. I think a more fuel efficient option would help to slightly spur sales.

So to answer your question, why make one? Right now it seems the only advantage to having a V6 model is price.

I have an '06 V6 Explorer... and average 20-22 mpg with about a 60/40 Highway to City drive. My mother in law has an '06 V8 Explorer and averages 14-16 mpg with the same mix. I don't drive it like I stole it, but I'm no grandpa either. I get the same mileage in the Explorer that I got in my '03 Tribute, with much, much more room.

Why do they make it? It DOES offer better real world economy, especially if you aren't towing and hauling every day.

I have an '06 V6 Explorer... and average 20-22 mpg with about a 60/40 Highway to City drive. My mother in law has an '06 V8 Explorer and averages 14-16 mpg with the same mix. I don't drive it like I stole it, but I'm no grandpa either. I get the same mileage in the Explorer that I got in my '03 Tribute, with much, much more room.

Why do they make it? It DOES offer better real world economy, especially if you aren't towing and hauling every day.

Then why don't the new "real world" EPA ratings bear that out? Are you sure both are all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive vehicles?