Chrysler's Press sees market for small trucks

rmc523

Well the Contour was a rebadged FOE Mondeo, and along with the Probe, the 2.5 V6 was VERY expensive to repair. After most were a few years old, people would often dump trade out of them when they needed a large repair. Mondeo was a decent car, but wasn't much more then a compact as the Focus is larger so it was moot to keep it around when the Focus came to town. It was a compact car at midsize pricing.

The problem with the Colorado was GM simply grabbing another vehicle from the SA market and dumping it in the US. With most being small diesels in Brazil, they kinda forgot a V6 wouldn't fit, making for the oddball I5. The H3 based on it is the most horrific piece of junk I have seen in some time. Underpowered, all plastic from the windshield forward(even the brush bar is plastic), and the re-introduction of leaf springs to mid sized SUV's, ugh, although GM must make 50% profit on one. I think I see Colorado/canyons on the road with maybe 1 in 10 not having an Enterprise sticker on them. They were released to market outdated.

The Contour I had was a 4 cylinder model. It had no balls, it was comfortable and handled well. It took a new gas tank and the trans was acting up. The suspension was bottoming out in the rear and I abandoned it with 115,000 miles on it to buy a PTCruiser. The car was very expensive to repair. I was in a Mondeo in Scotland, it was a taxi and it sounded hoary. Junk. The Colorado with an I-5. What was that all about? Hummer? No comment.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem with the probe was its Mazda MX-6 lineage. That little 2.5L Mazda v6 was already strung all the way out in that application. IIRC, it shared its lineage with the tiny 1.6L v6 in the MX-3.

The colorado/canyon is not a horrible vehicle, certainly no worse than the ranger in many aspects. They do have one key advantage over most of the rest of the market. You can get a Colorado crew cab with a 4 cylinder and an automatic transmission. That recently upsized to 2.9L 4 banger gets decent gas mileage, has reasonable power, and makes the truck a decent city truck for light duty work that can double as a sedan in a pinch. I'm not saying that its perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but, its definitely workable.

The Colorado is Ugly......UGLY.......

The problem with the probe was its Mazda MX-6 lineage. That little 2.5L Mazda v6 was already strung all the way out in that application. IIRC, it shared its lineage with the tiny 1.6L v6 in the MX-3.

The colorado/canyon is not a horrible vehicle, certainly no worse than the ranger in many aspects. They do have one key advantage over most of the rest of the market. You can get a Colorado crew cab with a 4 cylinder and an automatic transmission. That recently upsized to 2.9L 4 banger gets decent gas mileage, has reasonable power, and makes the truck a decent city truck for light duty work that can double as a sedan in a pinch. I'm not saying that its perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but, its definitely workable.

Heh, when I bought my RX7TT, I helped my GF get the MX3 with the down payment. That little 1.6 was a friggin hoot to rev up. I'd love to put that motor in a Caterham 7 kit car. Although a JR Supercharged SVT Ztec will put a C7 in the 11's in the 1/4(0-60 in 3 flat)....

Edited by kevinb120

:cry: What did I do to you?

:tease: UGLY!!

Now here's a vehicle with style!

ford_ranger.jpg

:hysterical:

I like them both to be honest with you. I just don't like that there's no crew cab ranger and they should probably update the body style. The ranger and colorado are both trucks with enormous untapped potential as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by BlackHorse

I like them both to be honest with you. I just don't like that there's no crew cab ranger and they should probably update the body style. The ranger and colorado are both trucks with enormous untapped potential as far as I'm concerned.

The underlined word above should be removed, then your statement would be right.

I think if given the right engines, feautres, and capabilities, as you said, the Ranger and Colorado have a huge potential.