Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld - possible American Top Gear candidates

SVT_MAN

An existing NBC relationship with known automotive enthusiast Jay Leno, and the fact that his current Tonight Show contract expires in 2009 could make Leno a front-runner. Actor and Porsche collector Jerry Seinfeld also has a lasting NBC relationship as evidenced by his guest stint on NBC's 30 Rock and heavy rotation of Bee Movie promos that also aired on the network. We wouldn't "bee" surprised to see him in the running as well.

I really, really hope the show doesn't end up being lame. They need to find hosts that have the same chemistry that Clarkson and company have on the British version. I love Jay Leno and would love to see him as the host, but he would need others to balance out his personality. Much the same as Clarkson has James and Richard.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124569

Edited by SVT_MAN

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really, really hope the show doesn't end up being lame. They need to find hosts that have the same chemistry that Clarkson and company have on the British version. I love Jay Leno and would love to see him as the host, but he would need others to balance out his personality. Much the same as Clarkson has James and Richard.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124569

hopefully they offer good info about cars instead of their personal opinion, like saying the Mustang is slow when they used a V6 version.....thats lame

How about they save a lot of money and effort and just show us Top Gear! I don't want an Americanized version, I want to see the same show people in Europe get to see. I don't know why this is so hard for television executives to figure out, right now people have to download the show off the net, if it's not Hammond, Mays, and Clarkson, it's not Top Gear.

hopefully they offer good info about cars instead of their personal opinion, like saying the Mustang is slow when they used a V6 version.....thats lame

You should know that Jeremy just enjoys hounding on American cars by now. Always take everything he says with a grain of salt. He loved the Roush version of the Mustang.

How about they save a lot of money and effort and just show us Top Gear! I don't want an Americanized version, I want to see the same show people in Europe get to see. I don't know why this is so hard for television executives to figure out, right now people have to download the show off the net, if it's not Hammond, Mays, and Clarkson, it's not Top Gear.

Big whoopidee doo. Suddenly we won't be able to download the British version of the show? As I said, I enjoy the British version of the show, but most Americans simply won't. A lot of people won't understand the show and what it is about. If I show my friends Top Gear, they're always like "huh? wha?" unless they are showing some supercar or something that everybody knows about. When they test British cars or cars only sold in Europe, they aren't relevant.

I love the British version of the show, but they have to cater to American tastes and values. Most Americans would be put off with Clarkson's flippant remarks and rude comments towards America.

Edited by SVT_MAN

There must be a BBC America that shows it. I know we get it on BBC Canada.

There must be a BBC America that shows it. I know we get it on BBC Canada.

They actually just started showing it on BBC America last year, so far they've shown about 6 old episodes, repeated about 50 times each, which has kept my DVR box busy. I don't know why they don't show new episodes..

I'm not looking too forward to the US version, I must admit. I think it's going to end up being an hour-long ad for the car company that paid the most that week.

Jay Leno's garage is kind of like that since it is sponsored by GM. It would be nice if they did the show on public broadcast television instead so we didn't have to endure commercials.

They actually just started showing it on BBC America last year, so far they've shown about 6 old episodes, repeated about 50 times each, which has kept my DVR box busy. I don't know why they don't show new episodes..

I've never seen it, but what would really be nice is to get an HD version of it ... so for that to happen, we probably need NBC or a major network, which it sounds like we will be.

Edited by SVT_MAN

That's a ridiculous idea but coming from you it actually doesn't surprise me. You can find just about every episode of Top Gear on the net and I believe they sell it on DVD here. It would be utterly pointless to air Top Gear here to an American audience. Many of the cars they review are not even available on the American market. There should be an American version that reviews cars for sale on the North American market. I couldn't give a shit about a Top Gear review of Skoda or a Peugeot or some obscure Fiat. Jay Leno seems a good choice for the show as well.

That's a ridiculous idea but coming from you it actually doesn't surprise me. You can find just about every episode of Top Gear on the net and I believe they sell it on DVD here. It would be utterly pointless to air Top Gear here to an American audience. Many of the cars they review are not even available on the American market. There should be an American version that reviews cars for sale on the North American market. I couldn't give a shit about a Top Gear review of Skoda or a Peugeot or some obscure Fiat. Jay Leno seems a good choice for the show as well.

Well if you weren't such a ignoramus you'd know that Top Gear is loved around the world by car enthusiasts, the only thing it would have in common with Top Gear is the name. There's nothing ridiculous about showing one of the best shows on the planet over here, you probably just don't like it because it's from Europe... :finger:

Well if you weren't such a ignoramus you'd know that Top Gear is loved around the world by car enthusiasts, the only thing it would have in common with Top Gear is the name. There's nothing ridiculous about showing one of the best shows on the planet over here, you probably just don't like it because it's from Europe... :finger:

I actually do enjoy it. I can't stand Jermey, but other than that I think it's a cool show. But again, airing Top Gear from BBC on American television is pointless. While it may seem to you that it has a large following that is likely only because you tend to only associate with people who are into the whole car culture. It's the old "Can't see the forest for the trees." problem. The nation as a whole? In that respect if you're going to air a Top Gear to Americans it better have cars that are available on the American market or the whole thing is pointless.

Top Gear may very well be one of the best shows on the planet. I'm not going to debate that to be true or untrue. But, as Blackhorse and I said before: It doesn't matter. The show will only have niche appeal if they bring it over "as is." Why do you think that BBC America has such limited airings of the show? BBC is a niche channel in and of itself.

The majority of Americans don't know or care about Top Gear. No offense. As Blackhorse correctly pointed out, your perception of the show's popularity in America is skewed because you more than likely hang out with primarly car guys. A lot of car guys out there don't even know about Top Gear. Heck, a lot of America doesn't even know what top gear is on a car because no one here drives stickshifts. I bet if you polled Americans, most would NOT think of Jeremy Clarkson when they heard Top Gear.

You have to go back to the broadcast network's goal: to drive ratings up. If they aired the British show, which undoubtedly would only have a limited niche appeal, they aren't going to have that happen. If they bring in Jay Leno or some other famous guy who the American people can already associate with, maybe they'll have a hit. Someone like Jay Leno already has a huge audience and following as well. I personally feel like Jay's retirement from the Tonight Show in 2009 is a perfect indicator that he is going to be handed Top Gear's leading role ...

The unique thing about Top Gear in the UK is that it is intriguing enough that it has a lot of originally non-car-enthusiast types who watch the show. It's one of BBC's most popular shows, yet we know not EVERYBODY is a car guy who watches it. Do you really think BBC's show would be such a hit if they showed primarly cars from other markets? Probably not. I think it's nice that they test American cars occasionally, but that isn't why people watch the show. Then again, it could be argued that Top Gear sells drama more than anything since the reviews are usually fluffy and opinionated.

I don't see what is so wrong with having an American version of the show to complement the English version. It seems like the best of both worlds to me.

To me, bringing Top Gear over here and selling it "as is" here would be like Ford's attempt to bring the Mondeo over here back in the late 90s: a failure. Product globalization does not mean you sell an identical product to every market you sell in ... changes are not a bad thing as long as they are appropriate.

Edited by SVT_MAN

A V6 Mustang is fast??? I think I beat a few in my :redcard:.

Somebody obviously doesn't know the the Top Gear episode that is being specifically referred to and thus probably should have kept quiet about it.

And frankly the current V6 Mustang is quite a quick car, it has respectable numbers. Some would even say it's fast.

umm....wow

i really doubt that....the V6 Mustang does 0-60 in the high 6's

your :redcard: does it in about the mid 7's

unless of course you have done stuff to your :redcard:

It tested at 6.5 seconds to 60. I think it was C&D that had a test of cars below 20K. The Mustang was the quickest.

The previous gen V6 (99-04) had a 0-60 time of 7.2

In perspective, the original 65 GT350 had a 0-60 time of 6.8 seconds.

I don't get it. How did a thread about Top Gear turn into yet another Panther thread?

Read...

A V6 Mustang is fast??? I think I beat a few in my :redcard:.

umm....wow

i really doubt that....the V6 Mustang does 0-60 in the high 6's

your :redcard: does it in about the mid 7's

unless of course you have done stuff to your :redcard:

I didn't say what year...I believe it was a '94-'96...with a manual. The :redcard:'s aren't slow.

Somebody obviously doesn't know the the Top Gear episode that is being specifically referred to and thus probably should have kept quiet about it.

And frankly the current V6 Mustang is quite a quick car, it has respectable numbers. Some would even say it's fast.

Really? What episode was it? I have them all, so I will be interested to go back and check. If my memory serves me right, TG tested FOUR Mustangs over the years. The first one was in episode 7 of the 5th series. That is the one where the Hamster tested it...it did not go around the track.

The next THREE tests came in episode 6 of the 9th season. Hamster again tested a GT500, and a very similar looking GT390. The GT500 went around the track (posting a laughable time) and then Jeremy sent the Roush Mustang around the track where it killed the GT500.

In NONE of those episodes of Top Gear did they so much as mention a V6 Mustang.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

I think of Top Gear like the WWE for cars. It is mostly for entertainment and provided very little real world information. Basically the formula is to have the car compete against something, do something funny with a car, exotic car segment, and then some driving around talking while inside a car.

I think Jay & Jerry will be entertaining...They need another guy that is not a wealthy celeb though.

I don't get it. How did a thread about Top Gear turn into yet another Panther thread?

I think of Top Gear like the WWE for cars. It is mostly for entertainment and provided very little real world information. Basically the formula is to have the car compete against something, do something funny with a car, exotic car segment, and then some driving around talking while inside a car.

I think Jay & Jerry will be entertaining...They need another guy that is not a wealthy celeb though.

Yeah, I agree. I think they need someone who is young, likes cars, and hasn't graduated from college yet .. :shades: *points to self* Pick me, pick me! lol

Really? What episode was it? I have them all, so I will be interested to go back and check. If my memory serves me right, TG tested FOUR Mustangs over the years. The first one was in episode 7 of the 5th series. That is the one where the Hamster tested it...it did not go around the track.

The next THREE tests came in episode 6 of the 9th season. Hamster again tested a GT500, and a very similar looking GT390. The GT500 went around the track (posting a laughable time) and then Jeremy sent the Roush Mustang around the track where it killed the GT500.

In NONE of those episodes of Top Gear did they so much as mention a V6 Mustang.

There was an episode where he was bashing a Mustang GT for being slow. One of the new style. It was a V6.

Top Gear America. HMM could Work.

My choices for hosts would be. Jay Leno , Tim Allen, and ex race driver would also be a good addtion such as Rusty Wallace. I think you would get enough conflict different opinions and Humour to keep it interesting with those three. Rust Wallace certanly would be able to bag the cars in a big way and he is bit abrasive at the best of times.

All 3 Are big time car guys.

Not Sure if Mike Rowe is a car guy or not but he would work as well. He has knack for telling you some thing is crap with out actually comming right out and saying it. Just look at some of his QVC work.

Also some of hosts on Spikes Power block would do as a junior host.

Lots of choices out there.

So lets hear some others.

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

Chris Titus might work too. He strikes me as a muscle car guy.

Richard Dean Anderson might work. If I recall correctly, he was into racing.

I definitely agree with Leno. Not only is he a huge car guy, but he's a huge motorcycle guy as well.

Shoot, lets throw in the Teutul's for some comic relief. They all seem to like cars.

I'm just lobbing out some ideas. Won't claim they're actually "good"...