Expeditition 25.88 MPG!

bucky

Well I went on my first road trip the other day and got 25.88 MPG! Here are the particulars. I had the cruise set on 59 MPH, had 300 pounds worth of passengers and 100 pounds of gear. This was all highway with the exception of about five miles which was city driving. The vehicle is a 2008, 2wd, XLT, regular length with the 3:31 rear gear (No towing package) and 18" tires. According to the "Cat Scale" I put it on the other day, the vehicle weighed right at 6,000 pounds with me in it and a full tank of gas. (That's with no gear).

My Expedition uses quite a bit more fuel in the city which of course is no surprise. It takes a lot of energy to get that 6,000 pounds moving. Also my MPG gauge seems to be fairly accurate. I think it read 26.1mpg when I filled up with fuel and my hand calculations showed 25.88mpg. The original leg of the trip showed 26.7 so I am certain I could get 26mpg out of it without much problem. I know that 59 mph is not 75 mph but you can't have your cake and eat it too. I forget the RPM reading at that speed but it is pretty low... something like 1600 RPM but don't quote me on this...

As they say... You're mileage may vary..... ;)

Well I went on my first road trip the other day and got 25.88 MPG! Here are the particulars. I had the cruise set on 59 MPH, had 300 pounds worth of passengers and 100 pounds of gear. This was all highway with the exception of about five miles which was city driving. The vehicle is a 2008, 2wd, XLT, regular length with the 3:31 rear gear (No towing package) and 18" tires. According to the "Cat Scale" I put it on the other day, the vehicle weighed right at 6,000 pounds with me in it and a full tank of gas. (That's with no gear).

My Expedition uses quite a bit more fuel in the city which of course is no surprise. It takes a lot of energy to get that 6,000 pounds moving. Also my MPG gauge seems to be fairly accurate. I think it read 26.1mpg when I filled up with fuel and my hand calculations showed 25.88mpg. The original leg of the trip showed 26.7 so I am certain I could get 26mpg out of it without much problem. I know that 59 mph is not 75 mph but you can't have your cake and eat it too. I forget the RPM reading at that speed but it is pretty low... something like 1600 RPM but don't quote me on this...

That's good. I got 18.5mpg or so on a 400 mile road trip doing 80-85 into a head wind half way and up and down hills. Pretty good I thought.

WOW! That's amazing MPG! :drop:

How many miles was the trip, and was it pretty flat or hilly?

a 2008, 2wd, XLT, regular length with the 3:31 rear gear (No towing package) and 18" tires
That is exactly the configuration of the Expy I have on order, except for 17" tires. I don't think I could drive only 59mph on the highway - I stick to right aound 70. Best I've gotten in my similarly configured 2004 Yukon is 21.5mpg, but usually more like 19.5-20.5 (a little worse in winter). Edited by Rob052067

The trip was from north Dallas to Austin. Texas. My mileage meter read something like 26.7 when I got to Austin but I didn't have the time to fill up and hand calculate the mileage. On the way back I stopped around Waco and filled up and then drove back north of Dallas which was about which is about 125 miles. When I stopped to fill up (after a few miles of city driving) the mileage meter read around 26.1 if I remember correctly and my mileage hand calculated showed 25.88mpg. Next time I go on a road trip hopefully it will be longer. I'm wondering if I could possibly get 27mpg. That's pretty doggone good mileage for a 6000 pound vehicle although a 2002 Dodge diesel I had (7200 pounds) with a six speed stick once got a hair over 27. That was really babying it though. More typical was 25 straight highway. It never ever got less than 20 except when I hooked a 5000 pound trailer onto it once and the mileage dropped to 18. I would love a diesel Expedition with a six speed stick.

I wanted the 17 inch wheels too but took what came with the vehicle.

One more thing.... The girlfriend has a Nissan Versa which I call "The Lunch Box" (Remember those metal lunch boxes from years ago?) gets 33 mpg highway she says. She says it has a four star front crash rating which is probably fine unless you have a head on collision with a butterfly... ;)

The trip was from north Dallas to Austin. Texas. My mileage meter read something like 26.7 when I got to Austin but I didn't have the time to fill up and hand calculate the mileage. On the way back I stopped around Waco and filled up and then drove back north of Dallas which was about which is about 125 miles. When I stopped to fill up (after a few miles of city driving) the mileage meter read around 26.1 if I remember correctly and my mileage hand calculated showed 25.88mpg. Next time I go on a road trip hopefully it will be longer. I'm wondering if I could possibly get 27mpg. That's pretty doggone good mileage for a 6000 pound vehicle although a 2002 Dodge diesel I had (7200 pounds) with a six speed stick once got a hair over 27. That was really babying it though. More typical was 25 straight highway. It never ever got less than 20 except when I hooked a 5000 pound trailer onto it once and the mileage dropped to 18. I would love a diesel Expedition with a six speed stick.

I wanted the 17 inch wheels too but took what came with the vehicle.

One more thing.... The girlfriend has a Nissan Versa which I call "The Lunch Box" (Remember those metal lunch boxes from years ago?) gets 33 mpg highway she says. She says it has a four star front crash rating which is probably fine unless you have a head on collision with a butterfly... ;)

Try pumping the tires up 5psi more than listed. Also, check when cold. I checked mine and they were 35 when I thought they were at ambient, checked them again in the morning and they were at 30.

Try pumping the tires up 5psi more than listed. Also, check when cold. I checked mine and they were 35 when I thought they were at ambient, checked them again in the morning and they were at 30.

So the more psi the better MPG??? I don't know why but I have never heard that. I do know that if they are low you will get bad mpg!!! Hmmm maybe I will pump mine up a little...

So the more psi the better MPG??? I don't know why but I have never heard that. I do know that if they are low you will get bad mpg!!! Hmmm maybe I will pump mine up a little...

Too a point. Harder the tire the less rolling resistance. Try 5 psi more and see how it goes. If you don't like the ride quality, go back to the normal psi.

:stop:

Overinflating your tires may provide a small MPG bump, BUT you risk pre-mature or uneven tire wear, and more importantly could alter the quality of the vehicle's ride and handling which could affect the safe operation of the vehicle.

It's best to follow the pressure recommended by the vehicle's manufacturer. The figure on the sidewall of the tire is the maximum safe inflation pressure for the tire, as recommended by the tire's manufacturer. The tire pressure recommended by the vehicle's manufacturer is specific to your vehicle and takes into consideration how your vehicle was designed and is based on it's size, weight, suspension, etc.

Keep in mind that the max pressure (PSI) found on the sidewall of the tire may not be the same as the recommended PSI indicated by the vehicle manufacturer (see sticker found on the driver's door jam or see owner's manual).

Edited by Rob052067

I am going too, I am not to picky about my ride quality as long as it isnt jumping all over the road.

Tiffany, that picture of the mustang gt convt. and the expedition limited in the driveway nice and clean backed in the driveway wowoowowow i'm so jealous thats not my driveway! I love loyal Ford customers more than anything especially ones like you who realize your early 07' EL which had some issues doesn't mean all expes' do....glad you are getting an 09'

Tiffany, that picture of the mustang gt convt. and the expedition limited in the driveway nice and clean backed in the driveway wowoowowow i'm so jealous thats not my driveway! I love loyal Ford customers more than anything especially ones like you who realize your early 07' EL which had some issues doesn't mean all expes' do....glad you are getting an 09'

Thank you!!! I love cars, better yet ford cars/trucks!!! I do know that there is always gonna be a lemon in a bunch. I always get excited when I see loyal ford people like myself. My kids are already becoming Ford fans!!! I take a lot of pride in what I drive and I think I take better care of my cars then my house!!! :ohsnap:

Can't wait to get an 09!!!

Thank you!!! I love cars, better yet ford cars/trucks!!! I do know that there is always gonna be a lemon in a bunch. I always get excited when I see loyal ford people like myself. My kids are already becoming Ford fans!!! I take a lot of pride in what I drive and I think I take better care of my cars then my house!!! :ohsnap:

Can't wait to get an 09!!!

being that I am only 21 I can only hope I have a wife as into buying and taking care of Ford vehicles as you are.....i've started the process with my current girlfriend shes coming around to the blue oval more and more everyday

being that I am only 21 I can only hope I have a wife as into buying and taking care of Ford vehicles as you are.....i've started the process with my current girlfriend shes coming around to the blue oval more and more everyday

:hysterical: That is how I met my husband, at the ford dealer. I used to be a service adviser right till we got married so I am definitely into cars. But I got it from my Mom who has worked for a ford dealer since her 20's. :)) Good luck with getting your girlfriend on board!!

I can get 20+ mpg on the highway at around 60 to 70 mph pretty easy with mine (an EL Eddie Bauer with the 20" wheels, not sure of weight, but I'm sure it's heavy with all the baby crap that's always in it...). Around town 14 to 15 mpg seem to be the norm, unless we use the remote start a lot :P . We haven't taken it on any road trips (except for when it's being towed behind our motorhome), but I bet I could get it up to around 22 mpg if I tried.

• 1 month later...
:hysterical: That is how I met my husband, at the ford dealer. I used to be a service adviser right till we got married so I am definitely into cars. But I got it from my Mom who has worked for a ford dealer since her 20's. :)) Good luck with getting your girlfriend on board!!

nice mustang there el lover ! !

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be like you and EL lover loving ford vehicles, but after having two lemon of a trucks from Ford I will never let my wife drive one. I am pretty sure with both of us working we couldnt afford to have another ford in the driveway. Between having to take my expedition to the shop and being with out a vehicle because ford can't get there fixes together for the 6 speeed transmission (multiple trys and have just given up, nothing seems to work), and then I get a letter for two recalls to drop it off and be without the vehicle again...jeez. Does ford not realize people buy new trucks to get rid of old ones that they think they may start having problems with. The last two fords I have owned have been in the shop more times than I can count. After the explorer i figured I just had a bad one from the bunch, then after this expedition I am thinking there are more bad ones than ford wants to admit. Look at the transmission forum for the expedition, almost 140 replies, outrageous. My wife and I are having a baby pretty soon and it is time for her to upsize from a saab to a midsize SUV, I am 100% sure it will not be a ford, I will probably be jumping ship over to Mercedes (there GL SUV is pretty awesome, plus offers a diesel engine or there ML with the diesel is probably what we will be getting) or the Buick Enclave which is really nice as well. We went to the car show recently and looked at all the vehicles. The finish on Ford and Lincoln vehicles didnt seem to match up against the others. For instance.....the Lincoln MKZ looks all nice and such, rear seats fold down at the touch of a button, but they don't fold back up electronically, what bright engineer designed this. It is supposed to be a luxury crossover and it seems to fall short in many areas. Another instance, you pay like $2000 for plastic chrome 20" wheels. They are basically a cheap steel rim with plastic chrome stuck on top, Why should ford and lincoln do this? Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, GM, Chevy, and even toyota doesnt try to cut corners on the wheels, you actually are getting what you paid for. Ford needs to stop cutting corners to make a few bucks on people especially when those people used to be repeat Ford customers.

I used to be like you and EL lover loving ford vehicles, but after having two lemon of a trucks from Ford I will never let my wife drive one. I am pretty sure with both of us working we couldnt afford to have another ford in the driveway. Between having to take my expedition to the shop and being with out a vehicle because ford can't get there fixes together for the 6 speeed transmission (multiple trys and have just given up, nothing seems to work), and then I get a letter for two recalls to drop it off and be without the vehicle again...jeez. Does ford not realize people buy new trucks to get rid of old ones that they think they may start having problems with. The last two fords I have owned have been in the shop more times than I can count. After the explorer i figured I just had a bad one from the bunch, then after this expedition I am thinking there are more bad ones than ford wants to admit. Look at the transmission forum for the expedition, almost 140 replies, outrageous. My wife and I are having a baby pretty soon and it is time for her to upsize from a saab to a midsize SUV, I am 100% sure it will not be a ford, I will probably be jumping ship over to Mercedes (there GL SUV is pretty awesome, plus offers a diesel engine or there ML with the diesel is probably what we will be getting) or the Buick Enclave which is really nice as well. We went to the car show recently and looked at all the vehicles. The finish on Ford and Lincoln vehicles didnt seem to match up against the others. For instance.....the Lincoln MKZ looks all nice and such, rear seats fold down at the touch of a button, but they don't fold back up electronically, what bright engineer designed this. It is supposed to be a luxury crossover and it seems to fall short in many areas. Another instance, you pay like $2000 for plastic chrome 20" wheels. They are basically a cheap steel rim with plastic chrome stuck on top, Why should ford and lincoln do this? Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, GM, Chevy, and even toyota doesnt try to cut corners on the wheels, you actually are getting what you paid for. Ford needs to stop cutting corners to make a few bucks on people especially when those people used to be repeat Ford customers.

Why haven't you lemon lawed your expy?

Still tell anyone who asks, my 07 limited Expedtion is the best vehicle I have every owned. And I have had plenty. 18,000 miles since June and love it! :)

Edited by mcanton40

You've obviously have had some bad experiences, and that really sucks. I've had mostly good luck with all my Ford's that I've had over the the last 17 years (I have only owned Fords since I got my license in 1991). I've had a few problems (like a bad TFI module that was later recalled on a 95 Mustang GT, a 98 Expedition that spit out a spark plug with only 20,000 miles that required a new engine, under warranty, plus problems with the tranny on our 07 Expedition). For the most part, these problems were taken care of. What I've learned in the past few years, is that pretty all manufacturers (except for Toyota, I hate Toyota ;) ) build pretty good vehicles, and if taken care of, will pretty much run well for a long time. What I've also learned is that ALL manufacturers will assemble a lemon or two. You seem to have received two lemons in row. You should probably buy a lottery ticket having that kind of luck. :P My point is, sometimes shit happens. But, it's not what happens that matters, it's how you deal with it...

Side note, I used to think that these "Chrome clad" wheels were a scam. But, after having the chrome clad STEEL wheels on my 01 F150, and having them look brand new almost 8 years later, I was glad that my 07 Expy had Chrome clad ALUMINUM wheels. Easy to clean and really look good when clean with nothing but soap & water.

Edited by NLPRacing

You've obviously have had some bad experiences, and that really sucks. I've had mostly good luck with all my Ford's that I've had over the the last 17 years (I have only owned Fords since I got my license in 1991). I've had a few problems (like a bad TFI module that was later recalled on a 95 Mustang GT, a 98 Expedition that spit out a spark plug with only 20,000 miles that required a new engine, under warranty, plus problems with the tranny on our 07 Expedition). For the most part, these problems were taken care of. What I've learned in the past few years, is that pretty all manufacturers (except for Toyota, I hate Toyota ;) ) build pretty good vehicles, and if taken care of, will pretty much run well for a long time. What I've also learned is that ALL manufacturers will assemble a lemon or two. You seem to have received two lemons in row. You should probably buy a lottery ticket having that kind of luck. :P My point is, sometimes shit happens. But, it's not what happens that matters, it's how you deal with it...

Side note, I used to think that these "Chrome clad" wheels were a scam. But, after having the chrome clad STEEL wheels on my 01 F150, and having them look brand new almost 8 years later, I was glad that my 07 Expy had Chrome clad ALUMINUM wheels. Easy to clean and really look good when clean with nothing but soap & water.

I will stay with ford, i love their products. If i had the money, i would get the Sable Premier.

This is crazy almost 26mpg! Whom ever was driving was driving very well because you don't get that kinda mpg out of a 5,000 truck.

*** Your Mileage May Vary! :shades:

The OP got that great MPG driving on the flat highways of Texas, in warm/dry weather, with the cruise at 59 MPH.

I've had my new Expy for nearly 3 weeks now, and will be taking my first long freeway trip this weekend. The weather is expected to be cool and wet, and the 700 round-trip is anything but flat. I'll be reporting back with my MPG next week.

So far, with my day-to-day commuting, I've been a little disappointed. While my 2004 GMC Yukon normally averaged better than 14 MPG in the winter months and at least 15/16 in the warmer months in city driving, so far the similarly equipped 2008 Expy has been getting only 12/13 MPG. I was hoping for better with the 6-spd trans, but the Expy really seems to guzzle the gas during stop & go driving, especially when the engine is cold. Hopefully, the MPG will improve a bit after the break-in period (I've only driven 260 miles so far).

Edited by Rob052067

*** Your Mileage May Vary! :shades:

The OP got that great MPG driving on the flat highways of Texas, in warm/dry weather, with the cruise at 59 MPH.

I've had my new Expy for nearly 3 weeks now, and will be taking my first long freeway trip this weekend. The weather is expected to be cool and wet, and the 700 round-trip is anything but flat. I'll be reporting back with my MPG next week.

So far, with my day-to-day commuting, I've been a little disappointed. While my 2004 GMC Yukon normally averaged better than 14 MPG in the winter months and at least 15/16 in the warmer months in city driving, so far the similarly equipped 2008 Expy has been getting only 12/13 MPG. I was hoping for better with the 6-spd trans, but the Expy really seems to guzzle the gas during stop & go driving, especially when the engine is cold. Hopefully, the MPG will improve a bit after the break-in period (I've only driven 260 miles so far).

That is closer to real world. I have a 07 limited 4x4 with 18,000 great miles. The best I have done is my trip to Disney from Michigan last July and I got just under 18 MPG highway at about 75 miles an hour for the trip.