MKX Foggy Lenses

BORG

I've noticed that my tail-lamps are prone to fogging. Under the same conditions, my co-worker's MKX will display the same problem. Has anybody noticed this? Should I take this to the dealership or this a design defect that is not treatable?

Fogging is caused by moist air trapped behind the lens. As the air trapped in the lens cools, droplets develop. Most lamp housings (especially headlamps) have small vents that allow moisture to escape as it evaoprates from the heat of bulbs. Sections of the lens that never light up may be a problem. However if it is excessive I would take it to the dealer and complain. There could be a problem with a bad seam allowing moisture to get in.

Fogging is caused by moist air trapped behind the lens. As the air trapped in the lens cools, droplets develop. Most lamp housings (especially headlamps) have small vents that allow moisture to escape as it evaoprates from the heat of bulbs. Sections of the lens that never light up may be a problem. However if it is excessive I would take it to the dealer and complain. There could be a problem with a bad seam allowing moisture to get in.

The moisture problem extends to all 3 enclosed housings so I'm assuming this is normal but I don't think its satisfactory.

The moisture problem extends to all 3 enclosed housings so I'm assuming this is normal but I don't think its satisfactory.

I wouldn't be too happy either. I wouldn't think that should be happening. If you're co-worker's MKX is doing it as well, maybe there's some sort of problem with the seals Ford is using on the MKX's taillights?

Generally the outer lenses are glued to the reflector housing during the manufacturing process. If there is an incomplete closure along the seams it can allow water and moisture to trickle in and get trapped. I have seen many many cars by different makes with this problem over the years. Sometimes it's just the nature of the exact design that was created which cause more moisture to be trapped than normal. I am sure it is something they could somehow improve upon during the manufacturing process if it is common on most vehicles.

I'm fairly certain it's not a manufacturing defect since it's so uniform across all of the enclosed fixtures. It is likely a design deficiency so I'm not inclined to bring it in for repair unless it's visible at all times.

Just so you know, I often see many cars, from all manufacturers with fog in the rear lenses. I think in some cases it can't be avoided.