Are TINSMITHS a dying craft?

TN_TINMAN

I am a Tinsmith in Nashville....we have 7 Tinsmiths in our plant, which all of you know has been sold. I am trying to find out how many Tinsmiths we now have in each plant and how many are in GEN, JSP. Also, if any were offered trasfers anywhere.

The tinsmith/sheetmetal trade have job offers at KTP , KCAP , and CAP posted in Atlanta . We have one tinsmith here .

The tinsmith/sheetmetal trade have job offers at KTP , KCAP , and CAP posted in Atlanta . We have one tinsmith here .

We were offered the same at Nashville Glass, I signed up for KTP. Do you happen to know if your tinner signed up to transfer to the places offered? Also, do you know the senority of the tinner?

I came from the Rouge Complex 11 years ago. There were about 47 Tinsmiths there. Now there are only about 23 and they are not replacing the ones that leave. Why? I could RTBU, but I would much rather go to KTP.

Edited by TN_TINMAN

Yes. I can't understand why we weren't combined into another trade (millwright) the way the hydraulic guys were with pipefitters. In my opinion we were royally boned on that one. In my plant we currently have 11 tinners in my building and we've been told our RTO is 6. When we finish the project we are currently working on... I have heard that in plants without tinners all tin work is bought on the outside and installed by millwrights or just contracted outright. Our problem is that we are a small trade and thus have very little pull with our own union.

Yes were dead. when i was at the rouge 22years ago we had 75 tinners. now they have 17 with 5 of them in gen (jsp). only the glass plant has closed , they had 6 tinners. the tinners at the rouge now do not fabricate 99% of their material . they buy every thing they can. by doing this they also have forced welders into gen. i do not know if its plain lazyness or bad supervision why this has happened. the millwrights only want to be tinners on overtime. if we are listed as one of the 22 core trades, we should be represented in every plant, not just a few.in michigan ductwork, exhaust systems , hvac ,and refrigeration equipment, and all gas piping is to be permited by licensed mechanical contractors. many of the tinners in michigan have that license. all tinsmiths even the out of state guys should contact frank ketts at rawsonville, he is in charge of trade license to up grade the trades just like the electrician license program that fords set up.

I am a Tinsmith in Nashville....we have 7 Tinsmiths in our plant, which all of you know has been sold. I am trying to find out how many Tinsmiths we now have in each plant and how many are in GEN, JSP. Also, if any were offered trasfers anywhere.

we have 4 tinners here at ktp and the rumor is they only want one by the end of year

As long as there are millwrights, we will be a dying trade. Here at kcap we have 6 Tinners.

Yes were dead. when i was at the rouge 22years ago we had 75 tinners. now they have 17 with 5 of them in gen (jsp). only the glass plant has closed , they had 6 tinners. the tinners at the rouge now do not fabricate 99% of their material . they buy every thing they can. by doing this they also have forced welders into gen. i do not know if its plain lazyness or bad supervision why this has happened. the millwrights only want to be tinners on overtime. if we are listed as one of the 22 core trades, we should be represented in every plant, not just a few.in michigan ductwork, exhaust systems , hvac ,and refrigeration equipment, and all gas piping is to be permited by licensed mechanical contractors. many of the tinners in michigan have that license. all tinsmiths even the out of state guys should contact frank ketts at rawsonville, he is in charge of trade license to up grade the trades just like the electrician license program that fords set up.

I totally agree with you. We should be in every plant. I thought for sure during the last contract negotiations that they would combine us with millrights. What their reasoning not to is my guess.

Yes. I can't understand why we weren't combined into another trade (millwright) the way the hydraulic guys were with pipefitters. In my opinion we were royally boned on that one. In my plant we currently have 11 tinners in my building and we've been told our RTO is 6. When we finish the project we are currently working on... I have heard that in plants without tinners all tin work is bought on the outside and installed by millwrights or just contracted outright. Our problem is that we are a small trade and thus have very little pull with our own union.

Which plant do you work at?

I would think that since they are rebuiling some lines in your plant, that they are looking for more tinners for that operation. What do you think?

i talked with a tinner today and he said they want only one tinner in the plant by the end of the year.i don't know what kind of senority they have i do know that they aren't that old.

doesn't the plant have to have a opening before you can transfer?

The Union told us that KTP wouldnt know that they are getting Tinners until a couple of weeks before we are sent. But, from what they told us, is that anyone that signed up to go, would go. I already have my paperwork in and they said they would give me a date of transfer during the month of March.

I am trying to find out how many Tinsmiths we now have in each plant and how many are in GEN, JSP. Also, if any were offered trasfers anywhere.

About 6-9 months ago, we at SRP had paperwork on every Ford plant in the U.S. It listed prod/trades totals, and it also listed every trades classification in each plant. And I mean even bricklayers,roofers,etc(no disrespect intended). I thought we got it off of pdf's someone posted here on BON, but I'm not positive. I will check to see if we still have the papers, though they won't be too recent.

The Union told us that KTP wouldnt know that they are getting Tinners until a couple of weeks before we are sent. But, from what they told us, is that anyone that signed up to go, would go. I already have my paperwork in and they said they would give me a date of transfer during the month of March.

Fred, get your head out of your ASS. Frank Keatts stood up at the hall and said that all PRODUCTION would be relocated. He very clearly stated that Skilled Trade would be limited. He also said that the company would have to wait till after the company wide buyouts to see what openings would be where. He also made the comment that he wasn't really for sure why KTP was even on the list. I think Chicago needs some TinSmith's. Pack your bags.

Fred, get your head out of your ASS. Frank Keatts stood up at the hall and said that all PRODUCTION would be relocated. He very clearly stated that Skilled Trade would be limited. He also said that the company would have to wait till after the company wide buyouts to see what openings would be where. He also made the comment that he wasn't really for sure why KTP was even on the list. I think Chicago needs some TinSmith's. Pack your bags.

What the Hell are you talking about. I talked to Frank Keats personally during the meeting, after the meeting, and on the phone just recently. So, dont be talking shit that you don't know about. You aren't even skilled trades so you talk about your trade and I will talk about mine.

Seems funny to me that your PRODUCTION and trying to tell me what I know :hysterical: Keep your nose in your own bussiness. Kentucky is not on the list ( FOR YOU ) :stop: I was told personally if I signed to go to ktp that I would be going there, also if I wanted to go to dearborn I could go there. ( Hummmmm !!!! that wasn't on the sign up sheet ) That's because there are things :read: U DON"T KNOW.

" Please keep head up own azz" If anyone is going to chicago it will be you. :finger: (or) good luck with bob. I know some of you boys never been out of davidson county :runaway:

Seems funny to me that your PRODUCTION and trying to tell me what I know :hysterical: Keep your nose in your own bussiness. Kentucky is not on the list ( FOR YOU ) :stop: I was told personally if I signed to go to ktp that I would be going there, also if I wanted to go to dearborn I could go there. ( Hummmmm !!!! that wasn't on the sign up sheet ) That's because there are things :read: U DON"T KNOW.

" Please keep head up own azz" If anyone is going to chicago it will be you. :finger: (or) good luck with bob. I know some of you boys never been out of davidson county :runaway:

Fred, I have 25.5 years in and I will be taking the 50 and 10. So therefore, I won't be going anywhere. You're right, I have never been out of Davidson County and don't plan on it. I knew I would get a rise out of you (Ha,Ha).

Edited by ngp roots

Fred, I have 25.5 years in and I will be taking the 50 and 10. So therefore, I won't be going anywhere. You're right, I have never been out of Davidson County and don't plan on it. I knew I would get a rise out of you (Ha,Ha).

Then tell me why you have been asking so many questions about KCAP? "is it a good place to live, work, and raise a family?"

If your taking the 50 and 10, then what is it to you?