How good a deal is X Plan?

hlritter

I'm a new Forum member and I'm planning to order a new F350 Diesel Crew Cab short bed 4WD. It's been a few years since I've bought a domestic vehicle, and the 'plan' system is something I'm :banghead: trying to understand in terms of what it really accomplishes.

My dealer tells me that he can get me an X Plan price on the vehicle ($53,262 on a $59,045 sticker/$53,338 invoice), that there's no dickering on this price, and that the X Plan price is better than the lowest price they'd ever sell one for on an off-plan purchase.

Are these statements correct?

Are there any little-known rebates or other opportunities I should know about before agreeing to a price?

Thanks for your help, everyone.

--hlritter

I'm a new Forum member and I'm planning to order a new F350 Diesel Crew Cab short bed 4WD. It's been a few years since I've bought a domestic vehicle, and the 'plan' system is something I'm :banghead: trying to understand in terms of what it really accomplishes.

My dealer tells me that he can get me an X Plan price on the vehicle ($53,262 on a $59,045 sticker/$53,338 invoice), that there's no dickering on this price, and that the X Plan price is better than the lowest price they'd ever sell one for on an off-plan purchase.

Are these statements correct?

Are there any little-known rebates or other opportunities I should know about before agreeing to a price?

Thanks for your help, everyone.

--hlritter

Hi hlritter. :D In general, the X-Plan will get you a better price than you can negotiate on your own, except for very few exceptions. The exceptions include vehicles that a Dealer is absolutely dying to get rid of (previous years leftovers, oddball option/model combos, etc etc).

What I normally recommend to those who are wondering about pricing is the following: Get your X-Plan price on a vehicle you are interested in. Note all options, option packages etc. Go to another Dealer (or two or three, according to how much time you have to waste) and try to negotiate your best price without the X-Plan.

Keep in mind that when negotiating your own price (without the X-Plan), the Dealer is free to add fees and charges which are forbidden on the X-Plan. Therefore, when you negotiate you need to get the "Out the Door" price, including every last dollar, fee, charge and so on, that they are going to charge you on the Final Sales Contract.

The Dealer never tells you about these charges up front, as they like to surprise you when you are signing the final paperwork. They like to make it seem as though these extra charges are "required".

Once you go through all of that trouble, you will most likely find out that the X-Plan gives you the best price. So, in the end, I would recommend that you do not waste your time, and you just use the X-Plan.

Hope this was not too confusing.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 weeks later...
Go with the X-plan it is worth the savings. Make sure you get the rebates if there are any out there. I got a $42000 truck for $34,000 because of rebate and X-plan. This was in December.

I'm curious how does one go about getting an X-plan?

I'm curious how does one go about getting an X-plan?

You either work for a Ford Partner company or you go to the X plan pin forum in the Employee section and request one from a Ford employee. They're allowed anywhere from 4 to 8 per year to give out to family and friends.