Next Gen Mustang Transmissions...

silvrsvt

Well with the current focus on improving MPG out of cars, do you think we'll finally see a 6 speed transmission in the GT and also on the new 3.5/3.7L engines for the base models? I'm assuming that Ford could use the transmission out of the Explorer for the autos, but from what I understand, the 6 Speed in the GT500 costs a pretty penny also...

Unless 6th gear (T56) uses the Viper-Spec .50, I don't see a 6-speed improving MPG enough to make a difference (specific to MPG, but from a strength standpoint I'd choose a T56 all day long). The 3650 in the Mach 1 had a .62 5th gear and so did the T56 in the Cobra. I am not sure what spec the GT500 and newer GT's have for their respective overdrives. I thought the GT's 3650 had a .64 or a .68.

EDIT: Also dependent upon rear axle ratio. Mach's have 3.55, new GT's have 3.31 or 3.55, etc.

Edited by IMSA-XJR9

Well with the current focus on improving MPG out of cars, do you think we'll finally see a 6 speed transmission in the GT and also on the new 3.5/3.7L engines for the base models? I'm assuming that Ford could use the transmission out of the Explorer for the autos, but from what I understand, the 6 Speed in the GT500 costs a pretty penny also...

Word is that Ford is ramping up production of a 6R75 and 6R80 tranny at Livonia.

While either one would work in a Mustang, I think Ford should just standardize

on the 6R80 and 4V4.6V8 as a single "power module". More bang for

the buck for Ford ... and the customer.

Unless 6th gear (T56) uses the Viper-Spec .50, I don't see a 6-speed improving MPG enough to make a difference (specific to MPG, but from a strength standpoint I'd choose a T56 all day long). The 3650 in the Mach 1 had a .62 5th gear and so did the T56 in the Cobra. I am not sure what spec the GT500 and newer GT's have for their respective overdrives. I thought the GT's 3650 had a .64 or a .68.

EDIT: Also dependent upon rear axle ratio. Mach's have 3.55, new GT's have 3.31 or 3.55, etc.

The old F-bodies had a T56 with a high 6th gear and where able to pull down high 20s in Highway milage, I'm lucky to hit 24 MPG with my 06 Mustang GT

The old F-bodies had a T56 with a high 6th gear and where able to pull down high 20s in Highway milage, I'm lucky to hit 24 MPG with my 06 Mustang GT

Yeah, I think the old F-bodies also had the .50 6th gear, but had a 2.66 1st gear vs. a 2.97 1st in the Cobra R T56. I've hit 25 MPG in the Mach on the highway on one trip for a stint, and that's the only time I have ever calculated the Mach's MPG.

Seems a nice combination would be 2.97 first and .50 6th T56 for the '10 Mustang.