Ford Performance Vehicles

mlhm5

Uh, you're opinion is wrong, Maybe if that thing had a big torquey V8 like the G8, but it doesn't, and it's too small, and it's fugly.

The G8 has the roomiest back seat I've sat in short of a limo, it offers effortless acceleration, looks great, and costs 10k less than that kraut burner.

Which is why it kicks MAJOR ass and is nowhere near "exhaustingly bland" as some here mistakenly thing.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, the G8 looks like unsalted cream of wheat next to the 300C and Charger, which are its two competitors.

Why would you buy the G8 over the 300C?

Because it's NOT a Chrysler...and it is much bigger.

and this:

its faster than the 300C, gets better milage and is cheaper maybe?
Edited by P71_CrownVic

Because it's NOT a Chrysler...and it is much bigger.

How does not being a Chrysler help? BTW. It costs about as much as a Charger R/T.

Also, I have no idea where Pontiac's interior volume numbers came from. They assert 124.5 cu. ft. of passenger space, which makes no sense whatsoever, when you consider that the Town Car L has 116 cu. ft, the Mercedes S-Class has 109, and the BMW 750L has 111 cu. ft.

WB and overall length make that figure appropriate. If the G8 were a station wagon.

How does not being a Chrysler help? BTW. It costs about as much as a Charger R/T.

fair enough. its only $1500 less (base)with a proper LSD, more HP, better fuel economy, better handling, braking, acceleration and a better drivetrain. (LS engines + 6spd auto > Hemi)

Umm...no. A fully loaded Charger R/T costs: MSRP $41,4xx and net $38,4xx. A fully loaded G8 GT costs $32K.

and it still looks like it tastes like boiled potato.

And how many G8 GTs have you driven?

What's the Charger 5.7L Hemi model then? The Daytona?

I didn't mean the 6.1L Hemi, I meant the $30k 5.7L Hemi

I know. I went to www.dodge.com...clicked on Charger R/T and went to town.

They have like 7 different models of the Charger. And my price figures are off...as I only used RWD...not the AWD model (but the G8 does not offer AWD, so that comparison is fair).

But, looking again...the RWD only modes is much more expensive when optioned out than the AWD model.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

People won't drive it, if it won't make them look cool.

Believe me...you would need much more than a G8 GT, or Ferriari, or Veyron, or Ford GT to make you look cool.

Oh, and I just checked.

The Charger R/T is $30k. It's the SRT-8 that's the big dollar:

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/model/overv...=3?modelId=5548

And even then, it's only $37k ish.

Yeah...starting price. The fully loaded G8 GT is only 32K...with EVERY option.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

People won't drive it, if it won't make them look cool.

Oh, and I just checked.

The Charger R/T is $30k. It's the SRT-8 that's the big dollar:

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/model/overv...=3?modelId=5548

And even then, it's only $37k ish.

'only' 37K?

The G8 with everything is just over 32K. Sunroof, 19 inch wheels, leather. I personally dont like sunroofs, and I cant reson paying for 19 inch tires so the only option iw ould want is the leather seating which was around 31.3K i think. Its only about 2/10th off of the SRT-8 in the 1/4 IIRC for about 4K less. (topped out G8 versus BASE SRT8 at that.) Id still much rather have the LS engine over the Hemi. Hell, the LS engine is what i wish Ford had for a V8. (lets face it, its the best modern volume production V8 out there)

The G8 is just a better buy BY FAR. I just wish it was a Ford product.

Believe me...you would need much more than a G8 GT, or Ferriari, or Veyron, or Ford GT to make you look cool.

Oh, but I'm not buying either a G8 or a 300C.

I mean the 300C looks like a rip off of a Bentley.

The G8 looks like a rip off of a Pontiac Grand Prix.

I can tell you right now that both the Charger and 300C look waaaayyyyyy 'cooler' than the G8, and that will make a difference.

Granted, Pontiac's import schedule expects the 300C and Charger to outsell it, but IMO, Pontiac will struggle to fill its allotment without heavy incentives, simply because the car is just so gal-durned boring in its appearance.

Just like the GTO.

Where in the world did I say my proposed limited run performance model of the Fusion had a 3.7L v6, or an ecoboost 3.5L, or GDI, or anything more than a premium tune on the run of the mill D35? I didn't. The J/V and the Aisin unit can both handle around 275-290 lbs of torque. And, lest we forget, there is an AWD Volvo XC90 with a v8 engine that puts out around 300 lbs of torque as well, and its got an auto. Where'd they get that unit from? Volvo also has some AWD S80/V70 models across the pond with hi-po turboed 3.0L engines that are producing that much torque.

So, I mean there certainly IS. Got THAT?!?! Or do I need to repeat it slowly for you. Ford is a global company, right? If one unit can source the part, so can another. A premium tune on a run of the mill D35 will get you into the 270-280 lbs of torque market. That's about where the CX-9 is with its 3.7L with 6 speed AWD. I wasn't asking for a street scorcher, just something a damned site sportier than an appearance package for the Fusion with the barest minimum of suspension tweaks.

So, ed, I've got a lot of respect for you, but don't get on your soap box and lecture me like I'm a baby over what you think I meant. Yes, Ford doesn't have a hi-po AWD tranny. Almost all of us know that. But they do have a very competent setup that can handle a lot more fun then they're throwing at it in the vehicles that could use the most fun.

I mean there certainly isn't.

Got that? Let me repeat for all you hard-of-thinking types: Ford doesn't have an AWD transverse-mount transmission that can handle 300+ ft-lb. of torque. Even a low-buck performance variant of the 3.5 will get beyond that, maybe close to 400 ft-lb.

The Aisin and the JV transmissions can't take "hi-po" torque, without electronically retarding engine power, to keep the 3.5 from turning the planetary gear sets into rubble. 270 hp seems to be the limit, but the 3.5 is capable of way, way more. An aggressive intercooled Eco-Boost 3.5 with an SVT tune and goodies could do close to 500 hp, maybe more.

There might be a manual that could take it, but most people want auto-shift, even in performance vehicles.

But transmissions are coming from the Ford/Getrag JV, they're just not here, yet. The first is a low-power unit for the Fiesta, but higher-power units should be coming, because the twin-clutch design is inherently more fuel-efficient than an epicyclic/planetary automatic, and CAFE will force Ford to use them.

Memo to Mull: have the production gang over for a chat and see if they can pull the pickle out. This transmission problem is really holding up the show.

So, ed, I've got a lot of respect for you, but don't get on your soap box and lecture me like I'm a baby over what you think I meant. Yes, Ford doesn't have a hi-po AWD tranny. Almost all of us know that. But they do have a very competent setup that can handle a lot more fun then they're throwing at it in the vehicles that could use the most fun.

Old Fairmont, my apologies; all I can say is, too much P-71 gets me a little impatient, sorry. Yours was the latest in a series of people wondering why there were no hi-po AWD Ford vehicles.

You're right, and I had forgotten about the Volvo V-8 transmission, whatever it is. That just adds to the point, that Ford should pull the pickle out and get a transmission here ASAP, even if it gets replaced with the Ford/Getrag units a year from now.

Here we go again with the argument based on looks. As was said in many threads about the Focus, looks are subjective. I personally prefer the looks of the G8 to the LX cars. In fact, I wish they had one available with a flat hood. Oh nooo! Im making it even plainer!!

"One looks way more expensive than it is, the other looks cheaper than it is."

In this case, the one that looks more expensive IS priced higher than its newer, faster, more efficient, and better looking (IMO) direct competition.

Hey, if looks didn't matter...................................

We'd all be driving these:

01-1975-amc-pacer-x.jpg

i thought i made it clear that i dont like red cars, nevermind the red X's :D.

I never said looks dont matter. In fact I used my preference of the G8's looks to back that up.

i thought i made it clear that i dont like red cars, nevermind the red X's :D.

I never said looks dont matter. In fact I used my preference of the G8's looks to back that up.

Oops. They axed it.

This is what I meant:

800px-1975_AMC_Pacer_base_model_frontrightside.jpg

G8, IMO, like the GTO before it, just isn't going to stand out enough to draw the premium price it commands.

I mean when you're selling something as a performance car at a price where you have definitely passed over other models that would suit your needs for space & economy better, you need to have some hook, and IMO, a V8 & RWD just ain't enough.

Of course, I also think that Ford pulling 300 horses and 315lb-ft of torque out of a 4.6L V8 warrants some consideration for =it= as the best mass produced V8...... So on that too we differ........ :P