F-250 5.4L 4.10 vs. v10?

jabby

I'm hoping someone can point out some differences for me and help me make a final decision. I'm ordering a 2008 F-250 SD XLT 4x4, and need to figure out which specs to go with. I definitely want to stay with gas, not diesel. So it's between the 5.4L 4.10 (not the 3.73) and the V10.

I'm coming from a 2004 F-150 5.4L Triton 3.55. I tow a travel trailer at about 7000 lbs. About 80% of my driving is daily, and about 20% is towing.

Obviously, I want enough truck to pull the trailer easily, but I won't be upgrading the trailer anytime soon, and I don't want more truck than necessary, since I have to think about gas costs, etc.

Opinions I've gotten so far are really extreme - either love the V10 and hate everything else, love the V8 and can't imagine going for more, or hate all things gas and try to talk me into a diesel. I'm still gathering all opinions - extreme, gray area, and anything else. Thanks!

I'm hoping someone can point out some differences for me and help me make a final decision. I'm ordering a 2008 F-250 SD XLT 4x4, and need to figure out which specs to go with. I definitely want to stay with gas, not diesel. So it's between the 5.4L 4.10 (not the 3.73) and the V10.

I'm coming from a 2004 F-150 5.4L Triton 3.55. I tow a travel trailer at about 7000 lbs. About 80% of my driving is daily, and about 20% is towing.

Obviously, I want enough truck to pull the trailer easily, but I won't be upgrading the trailer anytime soon, and I don't want more truck than necessary, since I have to think about gas costs, etc.

Opinions I've gotten so far are really extreme - either love the V10 and hate everything else, love the V8 and can't imagine going for more, or hate all things gas and try to talk me into a diesel. I'm still gathering all opinions - extreme, gray area, and anything else. Thanks!

Personally, I would think you would be fine with the 5.4 and 4.10 as far as towing power if the 7000 lbs you mentioned for your travel trailer is when it is loaded. You won't have a lot of spare power however. I tow a travel trailer that weights about 6000 lbs loaded with my 2005 5.4 F150 and 3.73 with no problems. However, the F250 will weigh quite a bit more, but does have a tow mode and a better towing tranny than the F150. If your 7000 lbs is unloaded, I would definitely go with the V10.

My guess is that the fuel economy is probably about 1-2 MPG better with the 5.4 while unloaded, but probably 1-2 MPG worse when loaded down. Plus, you could probably go with 3.73 with the V10 instead of the 4.10 and narrow the unloaded gap (if the 3.73 is available with the V10).

In the long run, I think you would probably be happier with the V10. Could you get by with the 5.4? Yes, but you may be wishing you had gone with the V10.

If you weren't happy with the 5.4 and 3.55s in a F-150, I doubt you will be happy with the 5.4 and 4.10s in a F-250. The gears aren't going to make that much of a difference in a truck that is quite a bit larger and less aerodynamic. The V10 is an absolute beast. I think the V10 is the way to go. Fuel economy obviously isn't your number one priority since you are ordering the 250. If it was, I would say some mods to the 150 would be the way to go (like one of the Roush superchargers).

Jabby:

I had the same problem as you. I loved the F250 and wanted one really bad, although I was only going to tow an 18ft trailer and tractor 3-5 times a year. I drove a F250 with a 5.4L. It was a dog. It would not move out of its own tracks. It would not slip a wheel on wet pavement. So I drove a second F250 with the 5.4L, same diagnosis, total lack of power. I can not comment on the V10. I then drove the same truck except with a diesel. (NOTE: All three trucks were at the same dealer, and test drives were on the same day.) What a difference the diesel made, lots of power.

My current research indicates that the MPG on the F250 with a 5.4L will be about 11 to 13 MPG mixed driving with no trailer. Towing will be a lot less with a 7000 lb trailer and the V10 will fair no better than the V8

I Got a F150 5.4L. It will do…

I am on my second V-10 F-250. I had a 2002 V-10 F-250 Regular cab with a 3.73 out back and automatic transmission. I loved the way it towed anything it wanted to. I have a 20 ft enclosed car hauler and a 18 ft landscape trailer. The only complaint with the 2002 V-10 I had was is it could not decide which gear to be in when towing. But I think that had something to do with the 3.73 and no tow haul mode on the transmisson. The new truck (2008 F-250) I have yet to really tow hard with but I have the V-10 again and 4.10's this time. I also have a manual trans. so I can choose what gear I want to be in. I think this truck will pull even better with the new gears and motor. The only thing I do not like is the rpm's traveling in the truck with nothing hooked up in 5th gear. In my opnion they are about 500 rpms too high. A times it feels like it wants another gear to go to. I have drove a 2004 XLT F-250 extended cab with the 8ft bed and 5.4L V-8 and I thought that the truck was a dog compared to my 2002. I would have loved the Diesel in my truck but everyway I ran it I could not afford it. The V-10 is over kill for you right now but if you were to upgrade what you tow you are more than covered. Get the V-10 you will be happy you did.

Edited by mach14604

We also have a camper that weighes 7300 lbs and we have a F150 5.4 V8 with the 3.55 gears and it tows okay on flat land but going up hills is murder. My dad regrets buying a F150 and he wished he bought the F250 V10. If you go with the 250, get the V10 because the 250 weighes more than the 150 and the 5.4 will have a hard time moving it.

Thanks for the solid advice, everyone! Have to say, it's refreshing to get honest and practical advice and opinions from people instead of having someone bark at me to do this or do that (not on these forums, on others I was reading before I found this). We decided to go with the F250 V10 4.10 (wanted the 3.73 but it isn't available with the V10 anymore). We might have a little more power than we need for everyday stuff, but at least we know there won't be any problems with towing and will be a lot more comfortable going into the mountains, etc. The only bad thing is that no one in about a 300 mile radius of us has a truck that even remotely matches what we're looking for - and we're not even being all that particular. So we've ordered a truck (with the x-plan) and now have to play the waiting game. Sure am psyched about it though!

Ditto that! :happy feet:

I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Enjoy!!

I have had my V-10 for 6 months now, also with a 4.10 rear and Torqueshift tranny. I sold my 2002 7.3 and have never looked back. This is the smoothest running and best laid out truck I have ever owned. It has all of the power one needs for towing. I am getting 11 mpg which isn't much less than the new 6.4 diesels. My wife's LT with a 3.73 is getting 14 mpg. I would not change a thing on this truck; the change to a gasser was a good choice for me, especially with the difference in gas/diesel prices these days.

I have an 04 Excursion with the old 2V V10 and 3.73's Just last week we made a trip to Jasper pulling a 29ft holiday trailer. Power with the 3.73's was not an issue even pulling up to Obed summit about 3800Ft above sea leval. We had no issues keeping up to the in laws 2002 chipped 7.3 F250 pulling a 29ft 5th wheel.

For occasional towing the 3.73's are ideal. To bad they dropped them. Maybe the 5 speed has a higher ratio overdrive to make up for the lower gears. The 04 has the old 4spd auto.

The fuel milage towing was horrendous though about 6MPG. We burned over twice as much fuel as the inlaws oil burner. I do about 11.5-12 MPG at 75-80 MPH on the hyway unloaded. I still have to put a cold air induction kit on and Chip the truck, so I should see some gains once that is done.

Matthew

I have an 04 Excursion with the old 2V V10 and 3.73's Just last week we made a trip to Jasper pulling a 29ft holiday trailer. Power with the 3.73's was not an issue even pulling up to Obed summit about 3800Ft above sea leval. We had no issues keeping up to the in laws 2002 chipped 7.3 F250 pulling a 29ft 5th wheel.

For occasional towing the 3.73's are ideal. To bad they dropped them. Maybe the 5 speed has a higher ratio overdrive to make up for the lower gears. The 04 has the old 4spd auto.

The fuel milage towing was horrendous though about 6MPG. We burned over twice as much fuel as the inlaws oil burner. I do about 11.5-12 MPG at 75-80 MPH on the hyway unloaded. I still have to put a cold air induction kit on and Chip the truck, so I should see some gains once that is done.

Matthew

You have the older V10 i think with 305-315 hp... You might now have the current V10 with 362 hp and you still pull the trailer well? V10 must be a workhorse.

• 2 weeks later...
Same deal here, I ordered a f-350 v-10 with the 4.30's on 2-4-08 and I am still waiting but I hope its getting close. I can't take $4.29 a gal. for diesel for much longer... Congrats to the new ride!

Don't worry about waiting too long. I put my order in for the F-250 V-10 around the first of March. Took delivery last night. Apparently they're not building to many trucks these days. Timing couldn't have been better either. 4.25% financing at the credit union, $4500 rebate from Ford, and $500 more in rebates just for using the X-plan. That made this beast really affordable. Maybe now I'll be able to afford to put gas in it. Enjoy, I think you'll love it.

• 4 weeks later...
You have the older V10 i think with 305-315 hp... You might now have the current V10 with 362 hp and you still pull the trailer well? V10 must be a workhorse.

i think the old v-10 was around 340 hp.cant remember for sure.i have one in a 03 f250 and it is a beast. its done everything ive asked and no problems.i was in the fla. keys when my truck was still pretty new,at the gas pump next to a guy pulling a big ass boat with a v10.it was a big cabin cruiser.he said he liked the truck and the engine.i asked if he had any problems and he said not so far."so far" was 130000 miles mostly pulling that cabin cruiser all over fla.fords v10 was designed by cosworth. it is a monster and a very durable and dependable engine.