Video Exclusive: Pontiac G8 361 HP in snow

jpd80

For too long people have been comparing modern up to date FWD cars with their RWD predecesors.

This video helps dispell the old concepts that RWD cars are inferior to FWD in snow driving.

A modern RWD car with 50/50 weight distribution, traction control, dynamic stability control and

proper snow tyres is every bit as good as its FWD countrepart.

Pontiac should play this thing on a loop in their dealerships:

Let the fun begin.

Bah, those roads have been cleared. This video proves nothing. :rolleyes:

Sure the roads have been cleared but I bet there's still some slippery stuff there as well.

To hear some speak on the forums. you'd think RWD cars can't be sold in snow areas.

I don't advocate RWD over FWD - there's room and a market for both.

Edited by jpd80

Sure the roads have been cleared but I bet there's still some slippery stuff there as well.

To hear some speak on the forums. you'd think RWD cars can't be sold in snow areas.

I don't advocate RWD over FWD - there's room and a market for both.

I agree with you.

The argument that is usually had is that some here say that FWD is inherently better in the snow. I can get with that due to the fact that most of the weight in the car is already over the driven wheels.

The RWD-only crew comes back with "well, if I put weights in the trunk and snow tires on, I can handle just as well as anyone out there." That may be true, but it argues nothing against the qualifier "inherently" in the FWD argument. Now, if all RWD cars were also rear-engined, then there'd be no debate -- both work.

I drove exclusively RWD growing up and didn't regularly drive a FWD vehicle until my wife (then fiancee) got her Intrepid and then (as my wife) her Maxima. I have nothing against either.

My preference? 4WD/AWD. :shades:

Good post,

Agree AWD / 4WD is best in the snow, if the weather is that bad, maybe it's best not to go out.

"Aussie Detroit" has two brilliant examples of how to a Modern RWD, I'm glad you get at least one.

The new Falcon shades the Commodore/G8 and fuel efficient Turbo 6 is a precursor to ecoboost!!!

I can see two identical Taurus vehicles sharing the showroom - one FWD/AWD, the other RWD.

GM missed a perfect opportunity to do with the Impala - their loss!!

I have never had anything but RWD, even when I lived in Chicago. The annual ritual every November was to go buy 2 huge bags of kitty litter and put it in your trunk. It not only helped with putting more weight on the rear but could also come in handy if you got caught on ice :P

FWD is indeed much better in the snow. Just a matter of people's preference. I'd still buy rwd if I were still in Chicago.

Besides - you haven't lived until your Mustang GT starts fish tailing on Lake Shore Drive in the middle of rush hour. Such fond memories. :o

The roads were pretty dry for most of the vidieo, the first min or so were on slush covered side streets. That deep heavy slush is about the worst shit to drive in. I'll take glare ice over that any day. Not only do you have the traction issue in that crap but you have to deal with hydroplaning as well.

For to long RWD has gotten a bad rap in the winter. When FWD forst hit the market it was far superior than most all the RWD's out there for winter driving. But it is not the late 70's any more. The cars are far better in every manner better balanced with way better suspensions and much better brake bias. Gone are the softly sprung nose heavy barges that all came with open diffs had poorly balanced brakes and understeered at the slightest hint of agreesive driving.

Todays modern RWD cars are more capable than FWD's in basically all condtions. Throw current Traction and stability control in to the mix and in most cases they are far far superior.

I do know a thing or 2 about winter driving with basically 5 to 6 months of it here. Hell Calgary got nearly a 1ft of the white stuff just this week. This has been a long very cold winter longest and coldest for many many years. Global warming my ass.

Matthew

I have never had anything but RWD, even when I lived in Chicago. The annual ritual every November was to go buy 2 huge bags of kitty litter and put it in your trunk. It not only helped with putting more weight on the rear but could also come in handy if you got caught on ice :P

FWD is indeed much better in the snow. Just a matter of people's preference. I'd still buy rwd if I were still in Chicago.

Besides - you haven't lived until your Mustang GT starts fish tailing on Lake Shore Drive in the middle of rush hour. Such fond memories. :o

Great post! I was fortunate enough to own 4x4's for years during times when gas was under a dollar.

I also drove a Mustang during many winters here in Illinois. I also KNOW what it is like to get stuck with RWD in the snow at a stop sign or when a traffic light turns green and the car just starts slidding off to one side.

RWD is just horrible in an unplowed alley after the snow has rutted up.

I really don't get stuck with my Taurus and it is not uncommon to drive in deep snow that hits the front fascia.

I had a retired 96 Crown Vic Police interceptor that was good in the snow but only with a bag of salt in the trunk. Getting stuck between two packed snow ruts really sucks when you are in a 4,000+lb car.

For too long people have been comparing modern up to date FWD cars with their RWD predecesors.

This video helps dispell the old concepts that RWD cars are inferior to FWD in snow driving.

A modern RWD car with 50/50 weight distribution, traction control, dynamic stability control and

proper snow tyres is every bit as good as its FWD countrepart.

Pontiac should play this thing on a loop in their dealerships:

Let the fun begin.

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FWD is for people who don't know how to drive in the snow.

FWD is for people who don't know how to drive in the snow.

Well, everyone has a choice.

Although I have always said that if a person can't drive a Mustang GT with a manual, whether in ice, sleet or snow, they shouldn't own a Mustang. :shades:

Edited by 96 Pony

Don't know the physics or the mechanics, but I seem to do better in snow the more primitive the car is: When I had my '62 Falcon (8 or so years ago), I remember pulling up our steep hill with a good accumulation of snow on the road - right past a FWD Impala stuck in the ditch, and making it home. More recently, with my '02 T-Bird, 50/50 weight distribution, traction control and all, I got stuck on the same hill in similar conditions. The traction control kicked in - I think it works by braking the slipping wheels, because as my speed was approaching zero, I could smell something burning. Wasn't pretty. I backed into a nearby alley and walked the rest of the way home.

I remember waaay back ages ago in my '61 Plymouth (slant 6, 3-on-the-tree, and bald bald tires), I could pull up anything in any conditions, as long as I could get one side on the gravel shoulder. None of that works with new tech. At least not for me. Perhaps I am a dinosaur.

I'm not saying RWD is better than FWD/AWD, just that newer RWDs aren't as bad as some make out.

Given enough weight in the back and all weather tyres, your hills would be worth a try.

I'm sure a couple of panther guys have some tails they will undoubtly unload on you now......

I'm not saying RWD is better than FWD/AWD, just that newer RWDs aren't as bad as some make out.

Given enough weight in the back and all weather tyres, your hills would be worth a try.

I'm sure a couple of panther guys have some tails they will undoubtly unload on you now......

Back in the day a typical RWD car was a full framed beast like the 79 Lincoln Towncar I drove my senior year of high school. Cars are getting much lighter making traction a bigger deal than before.

One snowy night my girlfeind called to say she could not get the Cobra home and she was scared. So I picked up a used Taurus for her and she was shocked at how well it went through the snow.

I've always driven trucks. My last vehicles in order where, an 88 BroncoII, 95 Bronco, 92 F-250 4x4-HD reg-cab, 05 F-150 4x4, and currently 06 Ranger 4x4 XLT ex-cab. The three full size trucks went through snow well in two wheel, but the Ranger sucks in 2wd in almost any depth snow because it is too light. The Bronco II was alright but it was lifted and had 32"'s on it.

I miss my big Bronco.

MVC-025S.jpg

Edited by 8A4RE