GM to merge Zeta, Sigma platforms

jpd80

GM to merge Zeta, Sigma platforms

In order to cut cost, General Motors will merge the rear-wheel drive Zeta and Sigma platforms, a new report finds. The Zeta platform currently underpins the Pontiac G8 and the upcoming Chevrolet Camaro, while the Sigma platform is exclusively used for the Cadillac brand (CTS, SRX and STS).

According to Motor Trend, the first car to bow on the merged platform will be the 2011 Cadillac STS/DTS replacement. Following that car's launch, the new platform will underpin several other models.

Despite the semi-revival of the rear-wheel drive car, don't expect the Chevrolet Impala to make the switch from its current front-wheel drive setup. Although the Impala shares the sales floor with the hot-selling Malibu sedan, it continues to be one of Chevrolet's top sellers. Instead, the Impala will likely move to the Epsilon II platform that will underpin the next-generation Buick LaCrosse.

More here:

Courtesy of leftlanenews.com.

Well, GM must be feeling the pinch.

I know some here on BON will question the wisdom of having such a comprehansive range of vehicles on the one platform.

I guess it's a bit like GM's version of the Ford DEW platform vision - so I wonder if they can pull it off or will history repeat itself?

True but I'm not convinced that is happening here as the weighty Zeta body has to go.

I'm thinking the lighter Sigma Body will be use and made with more flexibile with the Zeta's suspension used on low series.

In that instance, it would be more like a DEW Lite, a reach down from an expensive platform.

Maybe this is a pointer to the Ford global RWD platform, same floorpan/frame but different suspensions for low/high series cars.

That way Mustang and a "Maverick" could have Mac Strut/SRA/IRS and the High Series RWD uses Falcon suspension.

In a quirky way, maybe the rudiments of the system are staring us in the face and all divisions lose nothing and gain everything.

Edited by jpd80