OAC News

otp

OAC-labelled.jpg

OAC-labelled2.jpg

Old OAP Paint is not being used for production at the moment, but is a path for units to make it back to the main plant.

I tried doing a Google Earth on STAP and it wasn't very clear. We had a guy a few years ago that that had an aerial photo of the plant. The aerial view of the two plants are completely different. Our plant is all enclosed, it looks like vehicles would have to be conveyed from building to building at OAC.

Anyway thanks for the info folks..

I tried doing a Google Earth on STAP and it wasn't very clear. We had a guy a few years ago that that had an aerial photo of the plant. The aerial view of the two plants are completely different. Our plant is all enclosed, it looks like vehicles would have to be conveyed from building to building at OAC.

Originally, OTP was self contained (body/trim/chassis/final on the main floor, paint on the second floor) building trucks, as OAP was building Temp/Topaz (immediately preceding the Windstar).

OAP's paint shop was built for the Windstar, and part of the main truck plaint was annexed to build the sliding doors for the Windstar (that green square on Old OTP). A tunnel carries the doors to closures in OAP.

The OTP Body and Paint shops were built for the (IIRC) 1997 F150, parts started in OTP body, went through a tunnel to paint then another tunnel to OTP main plant.

For the Edge/MKS, they have consolidated paint operations in the newer OTP paint facility with the Freestar painting.

I don't know what STAP's square footage is, but from roughly what I know about the layout of each facility (number of floors) and using the aerial shots to calculate, the whole OAC floor space runs around 6,300,000 square feet, excluding office space and the square footage of the transfer tunnels.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

More product for OAC.

"As The Detroit News first reported in June, the new family hauler will be based on the Fairlane concept that was unveiled at the 2005 Detroit auto show to wide acclaim.

A Lincoln version of the vehicle, which is based on the same platform as the Ford Five Hundred sedan and the Ford Freestyle crossover utility vehicle, is also planned. Both versions, known internally as the D471 and D472, respectively, will be assembled in Oakville, Ontario."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../609120382/1148

Edited by Bluecon

More product for OAC.

"As The Detroit News first reported in June, the new family hauler will be based on the Fairlane concept that was unveiled at the 2005 Detroit auto show to wide acclaim.

A Lincoln version of the vehicle, which is based on the same platform as the Ford Five Hundred sedan and the Ford Freestyle crossover utility vehicle, is also planned. Both versions, known internally as the D471 and D472, respectively, will be assembled in Oakville, Ontario."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../609120382/1148

Thats good more product for us now the question still stands when is it going to start fall 07 or spring 07 when the freestar goes???

Thats good more product for us now the question still stands when is it going to start fall 07 or spring 07 when the freestar goes???

Methinks the Freestar is on its last legs...probably be done with it before spring of '07 so as to concentrate

on Edge and Lincoln production. Just my meagre two cents worth. :shrug:

Anyone heard about a large fleet order of freestars?

From what I was told, there is no order. There was a recent article in the Detroit news and last weeks Globe and mail that Ford will stop producing the Freestar in April 2007. What it also said was that the Sterling Heights plant in Michigan that produces the tranny (not sure exactly what part or the whole thing) will stop production in November 2006. So, it may be sooner rather than later. The same plant will be producing the new tranny or part for a "new" model starting in January 2008. I wonder if that could be the Fairlane? :shrug:

From what I was told, there is no order. There was a recent article in the Detroit news and last weeks Globe and mail that Ford will stop producing the Freestar in April 2007. What it also said was that the Sterling Heights plant in Michigan that produces the tranny (not sure exactly what part or the whole thing) will stop production in November 2006. So, it may be sooner rather than later. The same plant will be producing the new tranny or part for a "new" model starting in January 2008. I wonder if that could be the Fairlane? :shrug:

I was hoping that the fairlane came sooner than that!!!

By "On the lots yesterday", I mean I wish Ford would stop dragging their feet and bring some new product to market. If they are already building Edge's, why not speed the launch up? Ford has been working on re-designs for the 500, Escape/Mariner, and Foci for awhile now. Why wait? Even if the launch is slow so suppliers can ramp up, big deal. The plants are seeing downtime anyway.

Bringing a new vehicle to the market is an astronomically complex endeavour. Lately, many vehicles that Ford has brought onto the market have been trashed by unscrupulous "auto analysts" trying to make a name for themselves. Ford is taking its time on this one. Personally, I like it, and am thinking of buying one.

Edited by Trimdingman

While I agree that taking thier time has resulted in exceptional quality, my point is that Ford takes too long to launch a vehicle. From the point the vehicle program is approved, to the time the vehicle is on the lot is on the lot is unnaceptable.

I agree with you Ford takes way too long, it seems like other companies announce a product and within a year they are in production, over at Ford they is always a 2 year delay. They announced the Fairlane has the approval 4 months ago but we seen pics and prototypes at the car show (detroit) a year and half ago and although they working on it, it probably still won't come out until late 07 or early 08.

Greater minds than yours or mine decide these things. Trust is all that we have. Many people trust in God. I don't.

Do you trust in Ford? I do.

Ford has been under attack lately. They really need to disassociate themselves from Wall Street. They already know that. They are using Wall Street. I had better shut up.

I have more trust in god than the engineers at Ford!!!!

Does anyone think tomorows announcement wil involve us???

The announcement actually contains good news for the Canadian Employees unless you work in Windsor of course but everybody already knew that plant was going to be cut anyway after the "Wayforward 1" announcement:

The massive restructuring plan includes closing its Essex engine plant in Windsor, Ont., in 2007, a move that will eliminate about 600 jobs in that city.

The company, however, announced it will shift production of the Lincoln Town Car to St. Thomas, Ont., and begin assembling a new seven-passenger family vehicle at the Oakville, Ont., plant in 2008.

In its news release, Ford said it is cutting 10,000 more salaried jobs and expanding its buyout offer to all U.S. employees

The job cuts are in addition to 4,000 salaried positions eliminated in the first quarter of this year. This will reduce the automaker's white-collar workforce by one-third.

Ford is offering buyout packages for all 75,000 of its U.S. workers, offering up to $140,000 US to employees who agreed to give up other benefits due to them in retirement.

"These actions have painful consequences for communities and many of our loyal employees," Executive Chairman Bill Ford said in the restructuring release.

"But rapid shifts in consumer demand that affect our product mix and continued high prices for commodities mean we must continue working quickly and decisively to fix our business."

Friday's announcement speeds up the agenda Ford announced in January, which involves closing 14 factories -- including seven assembly plants -- and cutting 30,000 jobs in North America by 2012.

The cuts result from a declining market share, lower sales and tough competition.

Ford said it is now shooting for a much smaller share of U.S. auto sales, about 15 percent going forward, starting in 2007.

The new target would likely put it permanently behind Toyota for the No. 2 market share position.

Ford's July sales in the U.S. trailed Toyota for the first time ever.

The Big Three American auto companies -- General Motors, Ford and DaimlerChrysler -- have all lost market share to foreign rival automakers like Toyota and Honda, but Ford has suffered the worst.

"It's not the end of Ford by any means," Joseph D'Cruz, an auto analyst and management professor at the University of Toronto, told CTV Newsnet.

"What it is doing is alighting production with demand, and position itself to move forward in the future.

Ford also admitted it will not be able to return its troubled North American auto unit to profitability before 2009, rather than the 2008 target date previously given.

The company hopes to reduce its operating costs $5 billion US by the end of 2008, and the company is dumping its quarterly dividend.

With files from The Associated Press

Unfortunately, unless the trim shop at OAC goes to the 3 shitfs (and that simply isn't required given the sales projections of the Edge which can easily be accomodated by running 2 shits) then the people on layoff won't be back anytime soon......likely late 2007 if the "Fairlane" is not slated for release until 2008. If anything it supports what I've said before......there will be more temporary layoffs at OAC once the Freestar is put out to pasture which in all likelihood will be before the target date of April 2007.

Edited by WTF????

No not really the only thing they said was the "Family people mover" fairlane concept was going to be built at our plant but until 08.

Actually the announcement says that the "Family people mover will go on sale in 2008".

So it will go into production sometime in 2007. And of course, the sooner the better!

Unfortunately, unless the trim shop at OAC goes to the 3 shitfs (and that simply isn't required given the sales projections of the Edge which can easily be accomodated by running 2 shits) then the people on layoff won't be back anytime soon......likely late 2007 if the "Fairlane" is not slated for release until 2008. If anything it supports what I've said before......there will be more temporary layoffs at OAC once the Freestar is put out to pasture which in all likelihood will be before the target date of April 2007.

I don't know where you work WTF but in trim we are short manpower since spa's started(which don't stop) and once we ramp up (which we are no where near ) we will be even worse. Now saying that obviously there is no way that all 300+ will be back but I think somewhere like 40 to 50 will be back soon once ramp up comes. And also I stated before I thought I read in the 707 reporter that ford and CAW came to some sort of a agreement to have no layoffs come the end of freestar!!