Fuel price and Taurus residual value.

battyr

Demand for the Taurus is up because people are now looking for large vehicles with good fuel efficiency. I am assuming that the residual value of used leased Taurii are up to? This combined with the fact that Ford didn't use advertising to over sell them, could this be giving Ford a profit lift on leasing Taurii and help hedge against lease losses on F-150's.

Edited by battyr

I just can't resist this opportunity. Although I generally prefer driving performance cars, many of you know how highly I regard my wife's 2005 Montego Premere with 6 spped auto....as a superb people mover....for it's purchase price.

So another gas mileage story.

This past Friday, I drive her car on a 360 mile round trip from Central Florida to Ft Myers and back. About 10% city driving and the balance highway driving, with 4 adults and about 50 lbs of coolers and stuff in trunk (outside temp in mid 90's all the time). After filling up when I got back, I computed gas mileage at about 27.6 while computer had it at 28.1 (zero'd it out at start). Not bad for a day trip with considerable city driving around Ft Myers and in and out of Orlando.

I believe these cars are amazing, very well build and roomy, and a little ahead of their times obviously. A used one would be a geat buy. I would avoid the CVT version myself.

The new Taurus/Sable with their improvements would make a great family hauler. With huge truck, fold down rear seats, fold down front passenger seat, etc, I can haul most of what I would haul with Explorer size vehicle.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Actually that is simply amazing, you use to have to do that with a Lincoln.

I am not aware of any recent Lincoln that could achieve that MPG in combined city/highway driving normally....with AC compressor running all the time, with 650 lbs of passengers and load. Good mileage while easy cruising yes....but then the Montego gets over 30 MPG doing that. Give it up. The Panther days are over.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Great news Ralph but please don't judge RWD by the outdated panthers.

Our Aussie boards are full of Falcon stories with excellent fuel economy similar to your Montego.

Actually, I prefer a RWD sedan. But do like to give Ford credit for doing an excellent job with their recent large sedans. They are excellent people movers, very efficient. It's good to see the new Taurus/Sable finally get some good press. As people movers....and maybe that's what the market needs these days....they are far superior to the old large RWD sedans sold here in the states. But hate to start this panther argument again. I have owned a Crown Vic a couple years ago, so know how solid and reliable they are.

Edited by Ralph Greene

I am not aware of any recent Lincoln that could achieve that MPG in combined city/highway driving normally....with AC compressor running all the time, with 650 lbs of passengers and load. Good mileage while easy cruising yes....but then the Montego gets over 30 MPG doing that. Give it up. The Panther days are over.

i quoted the part about carrying 4 people in the trunk

Actually, I prefer a RWD sedan. But do like to give Ford credit for doing an excellent job with their recent large sedans. They are excellent people movers, very efficient. It's good to see the new Taurus/Sable finally get some good press. As people movers....and maybe that's what the market needs these days....they are far superior to the old large RWD sedans sold here in the states. But hate to start this panther argument again. I have owned a Crown Vic a couple years ago, so know how solid and reliable they are.

Understand perfectly and no disrespect intended to the panther owners.

It's just that we have this drop dead brillint RWD car......

until linked to the Mustang it stays tantalisingly out of reach.

Turbo 6 does the standing quarter mile in 13.3 - with an automatic!

Edited by jpd80