What to do, what to do ?

piper87C

:stats:

OK, I am at a loss as to what to do.

I have a 2001 Ranger with 105,000 miles that is running just fine. I have been looking at new trucks and had planned on waiting for the new F150, but then the $4.00 a gallon gas hit. Plus I saw an absolutely beautiful 2008 F150 at a dealer in Findlay Ohio which is about 300 miles from where I live. It is a fX4 bright red, black leather seats, etc. I enquired on line and they gave me a great deal, a little skimpy on my truck $4,000, but overall an amazing deal. Then I stopped by my local Chevy dealer who has great service after the sale. They gave me a great deal on a new Silverado, not quite as good as the F150 deal but very good. I drove the truck and I like it, but the bright red FX4 is sharp. I negotiated a bit online but will admit to dragging my feet a bit. I would respond to their emails trying to be honest, but they just quit emailing. I was in the area a couple of weeks ago and the truck was still there. I am so tempted to just call up the local Chevy place and tell them I will take their truck, but my heart is with the F150, then just around the corner is the new F150. The Ranger runs great and gets decent mileage.... There is no way I could get such a deal on a 2009. What to do, what to do??

I don't understand...The salesmen at the Ford Dealer after giving you a great deal stopped calling you to push the sale and you are so disappointed at that you would buy the other truck (which is not your hearts content, not the better deal, and not your brand of choice) out of spite?

:censored: , I wish all salesmen would give me a great deal and leave me the :censored: alone.

Seriously though, you described the Ford like a favorite Ice cream flavor and all but skipped the Silverado except to mention that they (Chevy Dealership) Do a good job of fixing the vehicle after it breaks.

Will there be another FX4 in the next model year available like the one you have seen? If so. Dragging your feet wont matter. Buying the wrong truck will, deal or no deal.

:stats:

OK, I am at a loss as to what to do.

I have a 2001 Ranger with 105,000 miles that is running just fine. I have been looking at new trucks and had planned on waiting for the new F150, but then the $4.00 a gallon gas hit. Plus I saw an absolutely beautiful 2008 F150 at a dealer in Findlay Ohio which is about 300 miles from where I live. It is a fX4 bright red, black leather seats, etc. I enquired on line and they gave me a great deal, a little skimpy on my truck $4,000, but overall an amazing deal. Then I stopped by my local Chevy dealer who has great service after the sale. They gave me a great deal on a new Silverado, not quite as good as the F150 deal but very good. I drove the truck and I like it, but the bright red FX4 is sharp. I negotiated a bit online but will admit to dragging my feet a bit. I would respond to their emails trying to be honest, but they just quit emailing. I was in the area a couple of weeks ago and the truck was still there. I am so tempted to just call up the local Chevy place and tell them I will take their truck, but my heart is with the F150, then just around the corner is the new F150. The Ranger runs great and gets decent mileage.... There is no way I could get such a deal on a 2009. What to do, what to do??

Edited by PhantomBantam

Dude, what else do you want?

- Great offer, no bullshit

- No pressure buying

I am even wondering why you are even looking at the Chevy dealer. Are you going to throw the "I might by a Chevy unless you take another grand off." card? Sounds like ultimately you don't want a payment.

Dude, what else do you want?

- Great offer, no bullshit

- No pressure buying

I am even wondering why you are even looking at the Chevy dealer. Are you going to throw the "I might by a Chevy unless you take another grand off." card? Sounds like ultimately you don't want a payment.

I want to thank the last two guys for replying.

I was surprised they just dropped me too. I don't buy a lot of cars so it is always a huge deal for me. I had planned on waiting for the 09 but then saw the 08 on the lot. I was dragging my feet so they probably just said " the heck with this guy"

In the past I was more of a chevy guy but the last three vehicles I have purchased have been Fords, and I have grown to really like them.

I know the salesman at the local chevy dealer and they are local. The Ford is 300 miles away so that is giving me pause.

The Ranger is paid for and runs great and gets decent mileage so I keep telling myself I should keep the money in my pocket and drive the Ranger for another couple of years. I will say this though. DO NOT get out of your 100,000 mile car and test drive a new one, it give you the fever...

Isn't there a closer Ford dealer to you? If there is go to them give the qoute the other dealer gave you to them and have them dealer trade for that truck, then you have the truck you really want and you are staying local.

Thanks for replying.

Yes there is a local dealer, and I know one of the sales staff. I have considered asking them about getting the truck but they have a horrible reputation for service. The dealership has traded hands over the years but it doesn't matter who own it, the serive is reputed to be terrible.

The Fords we do have were purchased at a dealer about 50 miles from where I live. My wife used to work about midway way between our home and the dealership and they were great about picking the car up for service. she has changed jobs so that is no longer available.

The Ranger is paid for and runs fine so I may just keep it. Plus the chevy has been sold so that particular truck is out of the picture..

Thanks for replying.

Yes there is a local dealer, and I know one of the sales staff. I have considered asking them about getting the truck but they have a horrible reputation for service. The dealership has traded hands over the years but it doesn't matter who own it, the serive is reputed to be terrible.

The Fords we do have were purchased at a dealer about 50 miles from where I live. My wife used to work about midway way between our home and the dealership and they were great about picking the car up for service. she has changed jobs so that is no longer available.

The Ranger is paid for and runs fine so I may just keep it. Plus the chevy has been sold so that particular truck is out of the picture..

I have no idea of your situation: family size, miles driven, finances, etc....but I would wait unless you are "on fire" to buy something new. The positive would be that your trade in won't be worth any less, and maybe even more should gas continue to go up. There will also be more information out there on the upcoming F-100 and Ecoboost engines due in 2010 and 2011. On the other hand, there are some big incentives right now to buy a new F-150: A-Plan pricing, cash back, free two-year maintenance contract, and even Ford loyalty money in some markets. I just think that the state of the economy and the prospect for $5/gal gasoline make things a little too "iffy" right now to consider trading a good-running, paid-for truck for a known gas guzzler.

I have no idea of your situation: family size, miles driven, finances, etc....but I would wait unless you are "on fire" to buy something new. The positive would be that your trade in won't be worth any less, and maybe even more should gas continue to go up. There will also be more information out there on the upcoming F-100 and Ecoboost engines due in 2010 and 2011. On the other hand, there are some big incentives right now to buy a new F-150: A-Plan pricing, cash back, free two-year maintenance contract, and even Ford loyalty money in some markets. I just think that the state of the economy and the prospect for $5/gal gasoline make things a little too "iffy" right now to consider trading a good-running, paid-for truck for a known gas guzzler.

I agree with everything you've said. It sure is a good time to purchase as far as the price goes. It is a shame I see all those nice well built trucks from Ford, GM, and Dodge sitting on the lots and think about the trouble the copanies are in and all the jobs that have been lost and will be lost. It is just too bad gas has taken such a jump so quickly that no one could react.

I know I have sure cut out quite a bit of un-needed driving. Thank goodness I have a motorcycle,I'm riding the wheels off of that thing.

I agree with everything you've said. It sure is a good time to purchase as far as the price goes. It is a shame I see all those nice well built trucks from Ford, GM, and Dodge sitting on the lots and think about the trouble the copanies are in and all the jobs that have been lost and will be lost. It is just too bad gas has taken such a jump so quickly that no one could react.

I know I have sure cut out quite a bit of un-needed driving. Thank goodness I have a motorcycle,I'm riding the wheels off of that thing.

How about a F150 Reg Cab, short or long bed with a 4.2 V6 with a manuel or Auto tranny? It still do as good as a ranger with a 3.0 or 4.0 V6. But V6 F150's might be harder to find because everyone is switching to V6 powered trucks rather than the V8, V10 or Diesel powered trucks.

Now I'm reading that Dodge will introduce their new 2009 pickups with 0% interest for up to 72 months. Desperate as it might be, Ford will probably have to match it in order to sell trucks, so if the mileage numbers for the 3V 4.6 w/six speed auto are good, it might be a reason to wait until October or whenever they hit the lots.

Now I'm reading that Dodge will introduce their new 2009 pickups with 0% interest for up to 72 months. Desperate as it might be, Ford will probably have to match it in order to sell trucks, so if the mileage numbers for the 3V 4.6 w/six speed auto are good, it might be a reason to wait until October or whenever they hit the lots.

Dodge has said that is not true...but in any event the Ram is #3 and the F-150 is #1. #3 will never dictate the market to #1...expect GM to do it before Ford.

Dodge has said that is not true...but in any event the Ram is #3 and the F-150 is #1. #3 will never dictate the market to #1...expect GM to do it before Ford.

Did I hear correctly that toyota is ceasing production of the tundra and sequia temporairly? Switching all tundra production to San Antonio and making RAV4 at the princeton, IN plant???

Did I hear correctly that toyota is ceasing production of the tundra and sequia temporairly? Switching all tundra production to San Antonio and making RAV4 at the princeton, IN plant???

Well, the search is over. I signed the papers for a new Chevy 1500 extended cab 4x4 today. It is a very nice truck with good incentives.

If I had been asked a year ago if I were going to purchase a Ford or Chevy I would have said Ford. The dealer in Findlay Ohio that had the Ford truck I wanted just quit replying to my emails. I had asked what their final out the door price was and never heard back. since they are over 300 miles away I couldn't just drive over there. I did contact my local Ford dealer through Ford.com to ask if they could find me an Fx4 like I wanted. I received a automatic response that said I would hear from them in 24 hours and never heard a word. Now I realize I could have stopped by but I figured if they didn't care anymore then that about selling a vehicle they probably wouldn't care about servicing it either. My last three vehicles have all been Ford and have all been great.. I actually feel a little guilty about purchaing another brand.

Anyway. the search is over.......

Well, the search is over. I signed the papers for a new Chevy 1500 extended cab 4x4 today. It is a very nice truck with good incentives.

If I had been asked a year ago if I were going to purchase a Ford or Chevy I would have said Ford. The dealer in Findlay Ohio that had the Ford truck I wanted just quit replying to my emails. I had asked what their final out the door price was and never heard back. since they are over 300 miles away I couldn't just drive over there. I did contact my local Ford dealer through Ford.com to ask if they could find me an Fx4 like I wanted. I received a automatic response that said I would hear from them in 24 hours and never heard a word. Now I realize I could have stopped by but I figured if they didn't care anymore then that about selling a vehicle they probably wouldn't care about servicing it either. My last three vehicles have all been Ford and have all been great.. I actually feel a little guilty about purchaing another brand.

Good luck with the Chebby! Do you have any specs on the truck?

Only problem I see with this thread, is you didn't go out and get the truck you truly wanted. No matter if the dealer called you back or what not, the Chevy was choice #2. Sometimes you need to be a little more proactive rather than reactive in a situation.

Now it is nice to hear the Chevy dealer is treating you well and hope you got a good deal on the truck. I've had similar bad situations with some Ford dealers, and avoid them like the plague now. But when I look at buying a vehicle, I have never opted for my 2nd choice. I'll simply bite the bullet and go to another dealer that is willing to work with me and provide the deal I want. It has yet to fail me once in 8 vehicle purchases.

Good luck with the Chebby! Do you have any specs on the truck?

Only problem I see with this thread, is you didn't go out and get the truck you truly wanted. No matter if the dealer called you back or what not, the Chevy was choice #2. Sometimes you need to be a little more proactive rather than reactive in a situation.

Now it is nice to hear the Chevy dealer is treating you well and hope you got a good deal on the truck. I've had similar bad situations with some Ford dealers, and avoid them like the plague now. But when I look at buying a vehicle, I have never opted for my 2nd choice. I'll simply bite the bullet and go to another dealer that is willing to work with me and provide the deal I want. It has yet to fail me once in 8 vehicle purchases.

I pick it up tomorrow. It is a nice truck I think. An extended cab short bed 4x4 in a metallic brown. It is the LT1 package with the mid size v8 with active fuel management. It does have the Z81 package also and XM radio. It was odd driving it and seeing it go from 4 cylinder to 8 cylinder, you sure couldn't feel any change.

You are right that my first choice was the Ford Fx4, My goodness that was a beautiful truck, and I will admit to thinking I should have just bitten the bullet even if they had put me off a bit and bought the truck...

The local chevy dealer is really good on service after the sale and the sales manager goes to the same church I do ( when I go),

I live in a small town and it was kind of nice having the owner shake your hand and thank you for purchasing from them.

I'm sure it will be a nice truck and all. The incentives were very good. The list for the truck was 33,500 or so and I had a little over 1,000.00 worth of extras. Bed liner, running boards, pin stripes, put on. With my trade a 2001 Ranger ( great truck) the out the door price including tax, license, and incentives was $19, 117.00. So while it is a bad time for the manufacturers it is a good time to buy a full size truck. I will close by saying my heart goes out to all those folks in the auto industry whose lives are being impacted by the fuel prices.

It seems the domestic companies can't catch a break. Their products are outstanding and equal to their foreign competition, and just when it seemed their might be some light at the end of the tunnel we have this gas thing going on.

I pick it up tomorrow. It is a nice truck I think. An extended cab short bed 4x4 in a metallic brown. It is the LT1 package with the mid size v8 with active fuel management. It does have the Z81 package also and XM radio. It was odd driving it and seeing it go from 4 cylinder to 8 cylinder, you sure couldn't feel any change.

You are right that my first choice was the Ford Fx4, My goodness that was a beautiful truck, and I will admit to thinking I should have just bitten the bullet even if they had put me off a bit and bought the truck...

The local chevy dealer is really good on service after the sale and the sales manager goes to the same church I do ( when I go),

I live in a small town and it was kind of nice having the owner shake your hand and thank you for purchasing from them.

I'm sure it will be a nice truck and all. The incentives were very good. The list for the truck was 33,500 or so and I had a little over 1,000.00 worth of extras. Bed liner, running boards, pin stripes, put on. With my trade a 2001 Ranger ( great truck) the out the door price including tax, license, and incentives was $19, 117.00. So while it is a bad time for the manufacturers it is a good time to buy a full size truck. I will close by saying my heart goes out to all those folks in the auto industry whose lives are being impacted by the fuel prices.

It seems the domestic companies can't catch a break. Their products are outstanding and equal to their foreign competition, and just when it seemed their might be some light at the end of the tunnel we have this gas thing going on.

Sounds like you got a nice and reliable truck. Heck most my friends drive Chevy's, so I don't have anything against them, just prefer Fords and have to give the friends a hard time. I just wonder why Chevy went from having that larger than normal ext. cab in the previous body style to a more normal size ext. cab. Always thought they had a little market all to themselves, but guess that extra size either was too costly or was pulling sales from the Crew models.

Now with many products today, service (sales, repair, etc...) is what sales. Most buyers I know are like you, and are more willing to go to their #2 option than deal with a frustrating dealer. It's also nice that this dealer treats you well, got to meet and speak with the owner and know you'll get quality service after the sale. This truck should last you quite a while. Friend of mine has either and '02 or '03, ext cab Silverado with the 4.8L which he loves and really has never had issues with. His only complaint is due to the wheel well design, he is unable to put larger tires on it without a leveling kit or lift.

Like you said, it's sad that the market is hurting these manufacturers and employees, but it's also a good time for the consumer if they're in the market for a truck. Heck I was thinking of trading in my '06 for an '08, but figured I won't get what I want for trade in, making the savings on a new ride a moot point, since I'll get jack for trade.

Again good luck with the new ride, and when you get a chance, post up some pics.

Sounds like you got a nice and reliable truck. Heck most my friends drive Chevy's, so I don't have anything against them, just prefer Fords and have to give the friends a hard time. I just wonder why Chevy went from having that larger than normal ext. cab in the previous body style to a more normal size ext. cab. Always thought they had a little market all to themselves, but guess that extra size either was too costly or was pulling sales from the Crew models.

Now with many products today, service (sales, repair, etc...) is what sales. Most buyers I know are like you, and are more willing to go to their #2 option than deal with a frustrating dealer. It's also nice that this dealer treats you well, got to meet and speak with the owner and know you'll get quality service after the sale. This truck should last you quite a while. Friend of mine has either and '02 or '03, ext cab Silverado with the 4.8L which he loves and really has never had issues with. His only complaint is due to the wheel well design, he is unable to put larger tires on it without a leveling kit or lift.

Like you said, it's sad that the market is hurting these manufacturers and employees, but it's also a good time for the consumer if they're in the market for a truck. Heck I was thinking of trading in my '06 for an '08, but figured I won't get what I want for trade in, making the savings on a new ride a moot point, since I'll get jack for trade.

Again good luck with the new ride, and when you get a chance, post up some pics.

I picked it up today and the running boards and pin striping did help it out a bit I think.

The on-star is kind of neat but I don't know if I will keep it after the year is up or not.

I have had both general motors and Fords, and in fact my last three cars purchased new were all Fords ( can't count the old jeep wranger)

I sure like them and loved the Fx4 I almost got.

but yes the good reputation and my previous experience sold me in the end.

It is funny you mentioned the older trucks having a longer extended cab, I thought the new ones looked shorter but didn't know they actually were.

Your truck is certainly a good looking vehicle...

I still feel kind of guilty not purchasing a Ford, I used to do a lot of work at the refinery in Detroit and it is just a stone's through from the plant. At least it says Chevy and not Toyota or Nissan.

I picked it up today and the running boards and pin striping did help it out a bit I think.

The on-star is kind of neat but I don't know if I will keep it after the year is up or not.

I have had both general motors and Fords, and in fact my last three cars purchased new were all Fords ( can't count the old jeep wranger)

It is funny you mentioned the older trucks having a longer extended cab, I thought the new ones looked shorter but didn't know they actually were.

I still feel kind of guilty not purchasing a Ford, I used to do a lot of work at the refinery in Detroit and it is just a stone's through from the plant. At least it says Chevy and not Toyota or Nissan.

I am not a Chevy fan and IMO, the new Chevy trucks are ugly but i respect your Choice in selecting your truck. As you did, i drive a Ranger myself, except mine is 1999 with the 3.0 V6 and it;s one heck of a truck. All i can say is i hope you enjoy your truck, atleast you bought American made truck vs. a Tundra or Titan. Good luck and hope you have no problems.

Before i go, what is your Ford Dealers name that gave you problems?

Well, I hope you enjoy your truck, I know a few people with Chevy trucks and they seem to like them. And I highly agree with your last sentence.

I have an uncle who is a died in the wool Chevy man. That is really and understatement. I bought an '02 f-150 Lariat and then sold it to buy an '04 F-250 PSD long bed 4x4 Lariat. Each time he would rip me up one side and down the other. He asked me why I would even think about buying a POS like a Ford truck. Finally, one day I told him. I have owned 3 Chevy trucks. The first was a brand new 1971(?) custom delux 3/4 ton 454ci. I had it for aboutt 8 weeks and had to sell at a huge loss because the Arab Oil Embargo happened about 8 weeks after I bought it. Needless to say, I had absolutely no problems with it during those 8 weeks. Then, in 1974 I bought a Chey custom 1/2 ton "stripper" 230ci inline 6 3 in the tree. by the time I had 30,000 mi. on it the head gasket had blown and the clutch needed to be replaced. Then in 1988 I bought from a friend a used 1980 GMC 3/4 ton High Sierra 4x4 with about 33,00 mi, A few years later,while in downtown Ensenada, Mexico as I pulled away from a stop sign, the auto trans (THM 400) input gear crystallized, letting the output shaft (spline) to spin uselessly, completely disabling the vehicle and stranding us in ensenada for 3 days.

My uncle has never ragged on me since.

If you don't use you chevy for heavy duty use, vou may have made the right choice.

Edited by DUCKRACER

I am not a Chevy fan and IMO, the new Chevy trucks are ugly but i respect your Choice in selecting your truck. As you did, i drive a Ranger myself, except mine is 1999 with the 3.0 V6 and it;s one heck of a truck. All i can say is i hope you enjoy your truck, atleast you bought American made truck vs. a Tundra or Titan. Good luck and hope you have no problems.

Before i go, what is your Ford Dealers name that gave you problems?

I sure liked my Ranger and told the dealer that it would make someone a great truck. We always kept the oil changed and serviced the transmission, etc.

I don't want to say the dealer gave me problems as I exchanged several emails with a very nice lady, and I did drag my feet. But it was a long way from home and I don't buy many cars so it is a huge deal. But I did ask for their final out the door price and never heard back..

The dealer was Findlay Ford in Findlay, OH. So, I guess I will accept responsiblity for not calling them and pursuing it myself, but it was a few hundred miles from home and the local Chevy dealer is a very good dealership.