Tax Credit ~ 60,000th yet?

Anyone know how many Hybrids have been sold as of Q2 2008?

If I understand the tax credit info, as long as Ford hasn't sold the 60,000th hybrid by June 30th full credit ($3000 FWD) will still apply until at least December 31st 2008. Is this correct?

Mike

Move to top, looking for same answer to ?

Anyone know how many Hybrids have been sold as of Q2 2008?

If I understand the tax credit info, as long as Ford hasn't sold the 60,000th hybrid by June 30th full credit ($3000 FWD) will still apply until at least December 31st 2008. Is this correct?

Mike

The law provides for the full credit for six months after the 60K limit is reached.

The law provides for the full credit for six months after the 60K limit is reached.

According to the IRS website, the tax credit begins phase out 3 months (one quarter) after the quarter in which the sales reach 60,000. About the same thing but it could be as short as 3 months depending on when the sales reach 60K.

Hopefully sales will not reach 60K at least until October, that would mean you can get full credit until the end of March 09.

"Taxpayers may claim the full amount of the allowable credit up to the end of the first calendar quarter after the quarter in which the manufacturer records its sale of the 60,000th vehicle. For the second and third calendar quarters after the quarter in which the 60,000th vehicle is sold, taxpayers may claim 50 percent of the credit. For the fourth and fifth calendar quarters, taxpayers may claim 25 percent of the credit. No credit is allowed after the fifth quarter." IRS webpage

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=172857,00.html

I don't think they'll update the tax credit info for the 2009 models until it gets closer to tax time. This site has a bit more info: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml

It was last updated in Jan. So perhaps later this summer or into the fall they will have some updated numbers for us.

Is there a site where we can find out actual numbers so that we know if we have a chance of still qualifying for the full credit?

I am not aware of a site with current numbers. I looked at Wikipedia for sales numbers awhile ago when I was researching the same question and the sales were under 60,000 as of Jan 1st, but the next question is how many of those were eligible for the credit. So from what I gathered it’s fewer than 60,000 for sure. So the next question is how many were sold after Jan 1st. I would guess not enough to go over 60,000 yet as I read in old threads that Ford wasn't taking anymore orders for 2008's at that point and they just started making the 2009's. My guess is the 60,000 mark may be hit this fall and at whatever point that is hit you still have the rest of that quarter and the next to get the full credit. But as for an exact answer I don't know if anyone except Ford knows right now. My speculation is that it will be a full credit until at least Dec. 31st.

I am not aware of a site with current numbers. I looked at Wikipedia for sales numbers awhile ago when I was researching the same question and the sales were under 60,000 as of Jan 1st, but the next question is how many of those were eligible for the credit. So from what I gathered it’s fewer than 60,000 for sure. So the next question is how many were sold after Jan 1st. I would guess not enough to go over 60,000 yet as I read in old threads that Ford wasn't taking anymore orders for 2008's at that point and they just started making the 2009's. My guess is the 60,000 mark may be hit this fall and at whatever point that is hit you still have the rest of that quarter and the next to get the full credit. But as for an exact answer I don't know if anyone except Ford knows right now. My speculation is that it will be a full credit until at least Dec. 31st.

Maybe my 09 will come in before Sep 31st and then I won't have to worry. I ordered it on 5/17 and the dealer is still telling me they do not have a VIN number. They really need to improve the ordering process so that you can track it off the order number on your own without having to go back to the dealer every week or so asking about updates. What happened to a self service idea?

Maybe my 09 will come in before Sep 31st and then I won't have to worry. I ordered it on 5/17 and the dealer is still telling me they do not have a VIN number. They really need to improve the ordering process so that you can track it off the order number on your own without having to go back to the dealer every week or so asking about updates. What happened to a self service idea?

I ordered on 6/26 and it went into the system on 6/27. Dealership updated me via email last Friday, no VIN yet but says we are still on track for sometime between 10/1 & 11/30 delivery. Keeping fingers crossed.

I ordered on 6/26 and it went into the system on 6/27. Dealership updated me via email last Friday, no VIN yet but says we are still on track for sometime between 10/1 & 11/30 delivery. Keeping fingers crossed.

I just talked to the dealer and they mentioned an Aug/Sept delivery, but would not provide me with a VIN.

Im in the same boat. Ordered 5/13 and nothing yet. Keep getting the maybe next week story. I guess I shouldn't expect much news soon either since the plant is shutting down in just a couple weeks now.

Im in the same boat. Ordered 5/13 and nothing yet. Keep getting the maybe next week story. I guess I shouldn't expect much news soon either since the plant is shutting down in just a couple weeks now.

Maybe we can get some information from someone about a date before they shutdown the plant. :stats:

Maybe we can get some information from someone about a date before they shutdown the plant. :stats:

Pretty sure you are going to need a VIN before you can get too much info. You may want to ask your dealer again if he/she has heard anything since they will shut down on the 28th for two weeks.

Good luck!

Hey Prattman, we have identical order dates, my sales manager last week was verbally and email promised a build in Mid-August and delivery in Sept/October.

If it helps put all this into perspective, back in June of 99 I ordered a 2000 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat 4x4, which at the time was the hotest thing Ford was making. I took delivery one week short of 7 months on New Years Eve.

It was built on 12-23 and delivered and bought on 12-31, one week from Louisville to Toledo Ohio.

Ford self report sales of FEH's from Jan - May '08 at around 9,300. By adding other sales numbers for previous years (Jan '06 - Dec '07) their sales were around 50,300. This puts them within a few hundred vehicles in June '08. I think they were real close to the 60,000 mark as of June 1st - and might have exceeded it in June, meaning the tax credit will decrease on Oct. 1st.

We'll probably just have to wait to find out for sure.

Edited by burnsva

Ford self report sales of FEH's from Jan - May '08 at around 9,300. By adding other sales numbers for previous years (Jan '06 - Dec '07) their sales were around 50,300. This puts them within a few hundred vehicles in June '08. I think they were real close to the 60,000 mark as of June 1st - and might have exceeded it in June, meaning the tax credit will decrease on Oct. 1st.

We'll probably just have to wait to find out for sure.

Any reference on where those sales numbers are from?

After digging around I have found the following figures (see reference links)

As of the end of the 3rd Quarter 2007, the IRS reported 38,743 tax credit sales of FEH/MMH since Jan 1, 2006. Ford report 6,573 in sales for 4th Quarter '07 (FEH/MMH combined). Ford reported total 2008 Hybrid sales of 9,510 through May '08 (9% drop from last year's time period). Bringing the total sold Jan 1, 2006 through May '08 54,826.

This is good news for those of us worried about the tax credit, because Ford generally has been averaging between 1600 and 2200 hybrid sales per month and most likely did not hit the infamous 60,000 cap by June 30th.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=167435,00.html

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=175139,00.html

http://www.hybridsuv.com/hybrid-resources/hybrid-suv-sales

http://www.hybridcar.com/index.php?option=...2&Itemid=45

Hey Prattman, we have identical order dates, my sales manager last week was verbally and email promised a build in Mid-August and delivery in Sept/October.

If it helps put all this into perspective, back in June of 99 I ordered a 2000 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat 4x4, which at the time was the hotest thing Ford was making. I took delivery one week short of 7 months on New Years Eve.

It was built on 12-23 and delivered and bought on 12-31, one week from Louisville to Toledo Ohio.

Its looking like I'm going to be like your super duty. My dealer called today to tell me that the Ford rep told them that my area is only going to get one hybrid for the rest of 2008 (he assured me that it would be mine) but that it probably won't make it here until Nov/Dec. I guess that keeps me off their backs and if on the off chance it comes in sooner than they look like heroes.

Does anybody know if this will trigger an increase in production of the Tribute hybrid? Mazda should only be a few hundred vehicles into their 60,000 limit at this point.

The Ford, Merc, and Mazda version are all considered as one vehicle by the IRS and combined sales goes towards the 60,000.

Does anybody know if this will trigger an increase in production of the Tribute hybrid? Mazda should only be a few hundred vehicles into their 60,000 limit at this point.

The Tribute numbers count toward Ford's totals, just like Toyota and Lexus numbers counted together.

The Tribute numbers count toward Ford's totals, just like Toyota and Lexus numbers counted together.

Are you sure about that?

The IRS website seems to only combine Ford and Mercury, and sees Mazda as a separate company (ie, Mazda is not a division of Ford Motor Company).