Ranger Updates

BORG

With the stay of execution for the Ranger, what sort of updates an we expect to this product? I assume the 2.5L will replace the 2.3L in 2009? What about the 4.0L? The Mustang also uses this engine, but is expected to get the 3.5L correct? Will the same happen to Ranger? The Ranger may also be due for another one of its famous 'facelifts', that last of which was in 2006 I believe.

So the Vulcan 3.0L will continue to reside in the Ranger? I would figure having that line up just for that engine, for just THAT vehicle be more of a waste of resources, even if the vehicle has a few years left. Not sure if Ford would upgrade to the 2.5L, or even PIP 3.0L. The PIP 3.0L seems to be coupled with FWD and 6 speed...things that will not work on the Ranger that quickly...same with the 2.5L. I would figure the 4.0L would be replaced with the 3.5L possible, but only and when the Mustang does so first...hence, 2010...therefore I think Ford will let the Ranger soldier on in it's form...

So the Vulcan 3.0L will continue to reside in the Ranger? I would figure having that line up just for that engine, for just THAT vehicle be more of a waste of resources, even if the vehicle has a few years left. Not sure if Ford would upgrade to the 2.5L, or even PIP 3.0L. The PIP 3.0L seems to be coupled with FWD and 6 speed...things that will not work on the Ranger that quickly...same with the 2.5L. I would figure the 4.0L would be replaced with the 3.5L possible, but only and when the Mustang does so first...hence, 2010...therefore I think Ford will let the Ranger soldier on in it's form...

They could just run a bunch of them off the line and close it down or switch it to another product. It's not like an engine needs to be assembled the same week - or year for that matter - as the rest of the vehicle.

I thought the Ranger used the Cologne 4.0 V6 which is shared with the Mustang. If the Mustang and

F150 switch to the Duratec V6 or go with the Ecoboost I-4 , look for this to turn up in the Ranger as

a dress rehearsal for inclusion in the T6 Ranger engine portfolio.

If I remember right, the Cologne Plant was trying to find work to stay open (hoping to attain some small engine production) so it's probably gone for good. If prices rise, they could always just go with offering a 2.5L for a couple of years, market it as an "excellent fuel economy" option, to give them time for the T6.

Lets recap here...

The vulcan 3.0L is gone. History. Line no longer running. It is no longer an option in the ranger.

The 4.0L Cologne is at EOL. The mustang is soon to stop using it. The Explorer still uses it, but is slated to go to D3 in a few years. Until then, it will continue to use the cologne 4.0L. The ST still uses it, but, it is scheduled to be axed very soon. I suspect that the 4.0L cologne will be available in the ranger until the Explorer gets changed over to the D3 models, at which time, there will either be a mass buildout to cover ranger production through 2011, or, it will just be dropped from the lineup.

The 2.3L I4 production for Ford in NA is changing over to 2.5L I4 production. Every north american vehicle, save for the ranger, that used the 2.3L is changing over to the 2.5L in the next calendar year (ranger engines haven't been announced). The 2.5L isn't just a bored and stroked 2.3L (according to various insiders on this board) unlike the Mazda 2.5L which, from what we hear on here, is. It won't make sense for the US 2.5L engine line to switch back and forth to continue to make the old 2.3L for the ranger. I suspect that the Mazda 2.5L may be a drop in fit for the ranger's 2.3L if it is what we think it is. The Ford 2.5L may have more differences that make it a more difficult fit. The main thing here is, all of Mazda's uses for the 2.3L are FWD. All of Ford's announced uses for the 2.5L are FWD (so far). Is either of the 2.5L I4s suitable for longitudinal mounting? Or, will Ford be forced to continue to produce 2.3L I4 engines specifically for the ranger when nothing else in their lineup uses that engine?

I thought the Ranger used the Cologne 4.0 V6 which is shared with the Mustang. If the Mustang and

F150 switch to the Duratec V6 or go with the Ecoboost I-4 , look for this to turn up in the Ranger as

a dress rehearsal for inclusion in the T6 Ranger engine portfolio.

I always thought the OHV 4.0L in my 1993 was the Cologne V6. Are both the (old) OHV and (current) SOHC called the Cologne V6?

I always thought the OHV 4.0L in my 1993 was the Cologne V6. Are both the (old) OHV and (current) SOHC called the Cologne V6?

It is the same engine... iirc, Ford redesigned the heads to a SOHC setup in 1998. It was initially used in the explorer, then eventually migrated to the Ranger in 2000.