GMC Topkick/Chevy Kodiak

7Mary3

A few of us have been talking about the future of the 650 and 750 Super Duty after 2009 when 'Blue Diamond' comes to an end. Does anyone have any ideas about the GM mediums? GM was supposed to have sold the assembly lines for the medium duty trucks to Navistar, who was going to manufacture the trucks for GM commercial truck dealers. Word I am hearing now is that the deal is off. GM is still building the trucks in the Flint MI. plant as of right now.

The mediums seem like the mostly forgotten step children of Detroit. Their parents like what they bring in, but do not seem to include them in their plans. Producing them in dedicated plants is not attractive in the current enviorenment, but then it is not practical to put them (as now configured) in a light truck plant. And margins might be getting thinner with more competition from others that are trying to grow in the market. I do not want to see the domestic mediums go away, but that is a possibility when the costs of maintaining dedicated plants and updating/upgrading product are balanced with revenue. I feel that the GM mediums are most at risk of going away now.