5.0 stalls

Rich P

Friend is rebuilding a 89 Mustang. Car is now back together but will not run on its own for more than 10 seconds. New fuel pump and filter. Car will start fine and run for ~10 seconds then engine light lights and car dies like it is out of fuel. Restart car and exact same thing happens. Will contunue to run on carb cleaner for more than 10 seconds.

O2 sensor is not connected- would that make a difference or would it still run? Any help is appreciated.

-Rich

Friend is rebuilding a 89 Mustang. Car is now back together but will not run on its own for more than 10 seconds. New fuel pump and filter. Car will start fine and run for ~10 seconds then engine light lights and car dies like it is out of fuel. Restart car and exact same thing happens. Will contunue to run on carb cleaner for more than 10 seconds.

O2 sensor is not connected- would that make a difference or would it still run? Any help is appreciated.

-Rich

Could be alot of things. Check the engine idle controller, and either clean it, or replace it. The 02 sensor could be the culprit, but my '89 ran real rough until I cleaned the EIC. It's located right off the throttle body, and is cyllindrical in shape. Again, if you just rebuilt the motor it could be any number of things, though.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll mention a clean EIC but I would think it was done on the rebuild. Also if the EIC is disconnected I would think it would go into a limp mode and still run. Friend (whose car it is) is a mechanic at a local shop and it has us both stummped.

As far as I know it is all stock (he's building it for his girlfriend)

Are all of your vaccum lines hooked up? If it's running right for a few seconds, it sounds like an idle problem. The car will turn slightly higher RPMs when first started, and then settle down. If the idle is too low from a vaccum leak or bad EIC, it could cause it to die after the initial "choke" cycle. Does it die if you give it some throttle? Sorry, kinda tricky to troubleshoot using my "hunt and peck" typing skills. Me no likey computah.

Vac lines are all connected or plugged. Engine will die if throttle is held open.

New fuel pump and fuel filter. Also there seems to be very good pressure at the schrader valve by the fuel rail.

IF it still dies with the throttle open, it is not the IAC. (IDLE AIR CONTROL) Does it have spark till it dies? IS the fuel old? This should be a MAss air car, is it clean? ANY contaminant on the wires will totally screw it up. Clean it with some brake cleaner or electrical parts cleaner when it is cold. Do you have the dist wired correctly for the camshaft you put in? Remember that there are two Ford Firing orders. Double check. MAke sure that the number one plugwire is on the "1" marked tower on the distributor (otherwise fuel timing will be off), and that the timing was set with the SPOUT disconnected. Remember that cylinders 1 though 4 are passenger side and 5-8 are driver's.. have seen a lot of chebby guys make that mistake. I will also admit that I once thought the dist spun backwards from the way it really did... it ran, barely, but stalled easily with little to no turkey shoots...