2006 Cobalt

NickF1011

Who the heck is buying Chevy Cobalts? I was in one this weekend that a friend of mine had as a rental while his car was at the auto body shop after a wreck.

The interior on this thing SUCKED.

There wasn't a soft-touch surface ANYWHERE on the ENTIRE interior...except the mouse fur on the headliner. Every body panel had the look and feel of an Igloo cooler. Heck, it even sounded like an Igloo cooler when you tapped on it. Good lord, and this thing outsells the Focus?? :blink:

Who the heck is buying Chevy Cobalts? I was in one this weekend that a friend of mine had as a rental while his car was at the auto body shop after a wreck.

There wasn't a soft-touch surface ANYWHERE on the ENTIRE interior...except the mouse fur on the headliner. Every body panel had the look and feel of an Igloo cooler. Heck, it even sounded like an Igloo cooler when you tapped on it. Good lord, and this thing outsells the Focus?? :blink:

Well of course it does, where did your friend get it from again?

Can't be half as crappy as my friend's 03' Corrolla. That car reaks or rat fur and half assed plastic.

It's a cheap little car, fer chrissakes! :P Seriously, though, people in this price range have no illusions of what they're buying- typical Cobalt sticker prices land it firmly in Kia/Hyundai territory. I chalk this one and the Impala up on GM's plus column.

Even my brother'e Elantra has an interior that puts the Cobalt to absolute SHAME. I mean really. It looks like GM didn't even try.

Even my brother'e Elantra has an interior that puts the Cobalt to absolute SHAME. I mean really. It looks like GM didn't even try.

It's not just the interior that sucks in the cobalt, the handling sucks, it's driving dynamics suck. The focus is going on 6 years old and it still put the cobalt to shame except maybe overall power. The cobalt is ok to drive on the highway in a straight line, once u hit twisties the focus laughs at it.

I'm sure they didn't... but the car is solid, reasonably well screwed together, quiet (for it's class), and inoffensively styled. For puddlejumpers, that's about all they have to be. Oh yeah, they have to stay out of the shop too. Simple formula- makes you wonder what took GM so long.

Edited by PolarBear

I saw the Cobalt the first time at the Auto Show. Looked like a freshening of the Cavalier body style personally. Then I climbed in. I can't sit up in the car. My head has to lay on my shoulders to fit in the car! I'm 6'2" and 130 lbs. No matter what I did to the seat, the result was the same. Why???

I know ALOT of people that average about 6' to 6'4" and none could fit in the car. But we could get behind the wheel of the Korean built (smaller) Aveo!! And I actually liked the Aveo better. Interior was better than the Cobalt, fits us taller people too!

I saw the Cobalt the first time at the Auto Show. Looked like a freshening of the Cavalier body style personally. Then I climbed in. I can't sit up in the car. My head has to lay on my shoulders to fit in the car! I'm 6'2" and 130 lbs. No matter what I did to the seat, the result was the same. Why???

I know ALOT of people that average about 6' to 6'4" and none could fit in the car. But we could get behind the wheel of the Korean built (smaller) Aveo!! And I actually liked the Aveo better. Interior was better than the Cobalt, fits us taller people too!

The "Daewoo Aveo"? Around here the base model runs about $14K. There isn't $14K worth of car there...

It's not just the interior that sucks in the cobalt, the handling sucks, it's driving dynamics suck. The focus is going on 6 years old and it still put the cobalt to shame except maybe overall power. The cobalt is ok to drive on the highway in a straight line, once u hit twisties the focus laughs at it.

Really? Which Cobalt Model? THe SS? The base? which one are you talking about?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Cadavalier for 6 months as a company car... what a wretched piece of metal. At 60k miles it had leaks, burned oil, the car rattled like crazy, and it had trouble maintaining freeway speed.

I imagine the Cobaltlier will have about as much longevity and durability as its miserable predecessor.

I'm wondering the same thing, since I've driven both...often. The Cobalts quieter, more powerful, and while the driving dynamics aren't stellar, are certainly adaquate for the target market.

It's overall more powerful and may be a bit quieter but the focus i find is a better overall car for me, i like a car that drives well,handles well,great breaks,good powerband etc.. The focus offers it all except maybe a few db's higher then the cobalt, not a big deal for me. The duratec in the focus is also more refined and doesn't sound like that thrashy ecotec, it's smoother and just a better running engine.

The cobalt could of been a whole lot better but in typical GM fashion they go half way and quit. The model was like mid trim.Whatever gm calls it, Ls7,ls2,lt,lssss78,ncc 1701-d

Edited by Kool_ZX3