Detroit Does Not Like the Auto Bail Out Rules

Lately we haven't even been paying that much.

Well there you go!

I take it the US is between $3.40 and $3.70/gallon.

In Australia, we pay about US $4.60/gallon.

FJM's lives in the UK and pays around US $11/gallon.

So no wonder he thinks the whole world is going like that!

Ford have NO CAN DO in the US they prefer to sit back and do nothing and watch the the Crown Vic rot on its vine rather than develop/update it, and just let another market disappear, NO CAN DO police cars, fleet/rentalls taxi's the list just goes on and on.

:redcard: And in the Ranger and well said BTW.

Yep, WM was the fourth biggest bank according to deposits in American and is huge blow to the financial markets and to many who owned WM stock including me. I had sold most of it over the last year or so, but stupidly hung onto a couple hundred shares and lost all the remaining shares as the FDIC just closed then down after closing today. At least I will be taking long term capital losses off my tax return for next few years if not more. WM about 18 months ago paid one hell of a dividend and was selling for over $40 and was way over 100 years old. Now it is history. No more financial stocks for me ever. And I wouldn't touch JP Morgan Chase with ten foot pole as they are going to write off over $30 billion in WM bad loans.

The WAMU thing gets even better:

CEO of failed WaMu could get millions

Friday September 26, 4:29 pm ET

By Marcy Gordon, AP Business Writer

CEO of failed Washington Mutual entitled to millions after few weeks on job

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The CEO of failed Washington Mutual Inc., on the job only a few weeks before the nation's largest thrift was seized by the government and sold to JPMorgan Chase & Co., is entitled to more than $13 million in severance and bonus pay.

More

Just makes all those WaMu commercials mocking the group of stodgy old bankers seem worthwhile....eh?

Edited by Armada Master

Will these loans do the trick? For a start $25 billion dollars sounds like nowhere near enough to "bail out" all 3 car makers. GM is going to have to dump a lot of cash into just surving through to 2010. Assuming they get $12 billion dollars out of this for arguements sake then I still think it's nowhere near enough cash bearing in mind the need $14 billion dollars or so in the bank just to keep going. Even at that I presume they will need to upgrade some plants to justify getting the cash in the first place. GM still needs to restructure and sell off assets..... $25 billion dollars sounds like too little too late.

The $25 billion are loans for restructuring to build fuel efficient cars, not a bail out for existing debt.

The real bail out is happening over with the lending institutions.

It's hardly a comercial loan, AFAIK they won't even get charged interest for the first 5 years! But having said that I think that the conditions being placed on the loans by congress and the size of these loans will actually make it hard for GM and co to benefit as much as they might like.

Change your frame of reference to what is happening in the USA all around the Detroit carmakers

The banking sector is getting bailed out by the government, but not the car industry.

Ford, GM and Chrysler can't use it to pay off their debts, it's not a bail out.

It is meerly an opportunity to leap ahead and start building cars that will sell.

Because we want to be taken seriously...plus we carry a lot of shit in our cars.

It is funny to hear Jeremy Clarkson talk about our police chase shows...he dreads when the announcer comes on and says, "And now we have a video from England...". He holds his head because chasing the bad guy is some poor Brit. cop in a Focus or Astra diesel... :hysterical:

LOL, Yes that sounds about right 'P' the vast majority of the cars Clarkson drives on Top Gear will never be driven or brought by 99% of the British car buyers as most would never be able to afford them. If Top Gear was based on what we buy it would to feature the Focus, Fiesta, Astra nearly every other week.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Well there you go!

I take it the US is between $3.40 and $3.70/gallon.

In Australia, we pay about US $4.60/gallon.

FJM's lives in the UK and pays around US $11/gallon.

So no wonder he thinks the whole world is going like that!

Sounds about right JPD, the tax robbing bastard British Government all need to be strung up. Most of the tax revenue collected off the poor ole British car owner gets spent elsewhere.

I bet you don't get newspaper car reviews like this down under JPD?

BEAT THE CREDIT CRUNCH WITH THE FORD ECONETIC

TALK about perfect timing. Just as everyone is speaking about the credit crunch and high fuel prices, Ford unveils what we think could be one of the most popular cars of 2009.

However, while fuel economy may not be quite as sexy as outright performance, all our eyes . . . and money . . . are on the new Econetic model.

Priced at £11,800 and due in showrooms by the end of the year with the rest of the Fiesta range, the Econetic will be the UK's greenest family car with emissions of just 98g/km (that's lower than the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic hybrids).

And of more importance for your bank balance is the average fuel economy, a frankly staggering 76.3mpg.

http://www.express.co.uk/motoring/view/623...e-Ford-Econetic

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

If you pay three times as much for fuel, you need to get three times better fuel economy.

A 75 mpg diesel in the UK costs the same to run as a 25 mpg gasoline car in the USA.

I know who is better off by miles.

Your right JPD most folk find cars new boring in general in the UK and will go for the lowest common denominator of boring that is why the Fiesta is brought mainly by the private buyer, Focus and more so the Mondeo is brought new by companies or the government in the UK the private buyer will normally buy them second hand.

I have got the the money in the bank and could pay cash for any of the three cars, but l am just not the slightest bit interested in any of them JPD. l still love Ford to bits as a company but l just find the cars styling bland and boring its as simple as that and you only get a front wheel drive as only option from FOE which is also another turn off. I used to love everything Ford used to make pre Ford Sierra and would buy it NEW today if Ford still made it today. But l might buy a new Ranger pick-up in the next couple of years just because Fords cars are very boring.

LCD of boring cars is 25 MPG Honda and Toyota Stateside and 75 MPG Fiesta's for the private buyer in the US & Europe