Detroit Does Not Like the Auto Bail Out Rules

"...money can only be used to overhaul plants that are at least 20 years old and will be upgraded to make vehicles that offer about a 25% improvement in fuel economy over similar models in their class."

WSJ

At least under the proposed rules, any retooling and production will be in the USA.

first of all it is not a bailout, what is going on with the banks is a bailout. ford, gm, and chrysler have to repay the loans with interest. so get your facts straight.

second this plan wont be approved for months, early next year, and will change in form.

It is a bailout because no one on the planet will lend Detroit that kind of money on those terms. Get your definitions straight.

It is a bailout because no one on the planet will lend Detroit that kind of money on those terms. Get your definitions straight.

Depends how you define bailout.

If you define bailout as a loan with really good terms, then yes, it's a bailout.

If you define bailout as free money, then no, it's not a bailout.

Semantics, ladies and gentlemen.

Ford's car Fiesta - Focus line up will be a bit austere in the US better bring the fuel efficient Ka over as well to offer more of a choice. You to get drive the our sort of line up we have in Europe hope you enjoy gotta say l could see this coming and its only going to get worse as time goes on. Ford Ka enjoy.

car_photo_281883_25.jpg

Ford should be able to qualify for the loan guarantee if it builds the Ka along side the new Focus at retooled MTP. Money for retooling and Ka. Ford should bring the Ka here and build it here, not Mexico where it can't get the loan. Ford should also do a Hybrid Focus and again qualify for the loan guarantee.

25% Fuel efficiency or your get no money - Sounds like DIESEL to me or smaller gasoline Noddy cars :hysterical:

When the Explorer Americana was unveiled, Jim Farley was saying that the

Ecoboost I-4 would deliver a 30% improvement over a 4.0 V6.

I think it's important to Ford that they now fully commit to diesel, Ecoboost and Hybrid.

Each variation has its specific market and car makers need to cover all bases.

Ignoring one over the other is plain stupid when customers are now asking for all three.

Then it would have to sell for more than the Fiesta to be profitable !

With low interest government loan and new Tier 1 workers making about $14/hour and reduced benefits, I think they could scrounge out some dollars and meet new CAFE rules at same time. To meet new CAFE standards, Ford is going to have to sell a lot of Fiesta's and Ka's.

Bailouts are bandaids man. I sold my Ford shares a week ago and made money. I didnt think they were gonna get the loans, and even though they stand to get something, im glad i sold when i did.

For breaking news, for all these banks and their bailouts, Washington Mutual just failed and was sold off to JP Morgan.

Bailouts are bandaids man. I sold my Ford shares a week ago and made money. I didnt think they were gonna get the loans, and even though they stand to get something, im glad i sold when i did.

For breaking news, for all these banks and their bailouts, Washington Mutual just failed and was sold off to JP Morgan.

Yep, WM was the fourth biggest bank according to deposits in American and is huge blow to the financial markets and to many who owned WM stock including me. I had sold most of it over the last year or so, but stupidly hung onto a couple hundred shares and lost all the remaining shares as the FDIC just closed then down after closing today. At least I will be taking long term capital losses off my tax return for next few years if not more. WM about 18 months ago paid one hell of a dividend and was selling for over $40 and was way over 100 years old. Now it is history. No more financial stocks for me ever. And I wouldn't touch JP Morgan Chase with ten foot pole as they are going to write off over $30 billion in WM bad loans.

Yep, WM was the fourth biggest bank according to deposits in American and is huge blow to the financial markets and to many who owned WM stock including me. I had sold most of it over the last year or so, but stupidly hung onto a couple hundred shares and lost all the remaining shares as the FDIC just closed then down after closing today. At least I will be taking long term capital losses off my tax return for next few years if not more. WM about 18 months ago paid one hell of a dividend and was selling for over $40 and was way over 100 years old. Now it is history. No more financial stocks for me ever. And I wouldn't touch JP Morgan Chase with ten foot pole as they are going to write off over $30 billion in WM bad loans.

One of our banks though about buying WM (TD Bank Financial Group, you may know it as TD Waterhouse or now TD Ameritrade or TD Bank, N.A.). Canadian banks don't like to take risk and it seems that either the deal was too risky...either that or JP Morgan Chase got to it first.

Edit: It seems there may still be a possibility of them buying something of the company. Have to wait and see.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Give a week or two for JPM to bottom, then buy. Buy low, sell high.

I haven't altered my portfolio in any way.

I'm either coming out way ahead, or fall off a cliff, but as I see it, I'm holding 11 and the dealer's facecard is a 6.

puke.gifpuke.gifpuke.gifpuke.gifpuke.gifpuke.gifpuke.gifpuke.gifpuke.gif

OMG...I hate a FoE product...

LOL "P" l feel the same way about FOE cars to many FWD cars and they do ZERO RWD cars but this is the sort of line-up you will be getting Stateside soon "Hobsons Choice" from Ford, and if Europe uses the Focus for Police Cars why can't you use an US Focus to do the same job?

Why can't Ford do a hybrid/US Focus Police car with some of the bailout money and then use it for the public US Focus as well?

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Something to catch those bandits fleeing in a Prius?

Nobody buys the Prius in Europe JPD we have diesel and yes our maximum speed limit is 70MPH in the UK and the Focus does the job.

Ford have NO CAN DO in the US they prefer to sit back and do nothing and watch the the Crown Vic rot on its vine rather than develop/update it, and just let another market disappear, NO CAN DO police cars, fleet/rentalls taxi's the list just goes on and on.

dsc01969.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I wouldn't touch JP Morgan Chase with ten foot pole as they are going to write off over $30 billion in WM bad loans.

I've got my concerns about JPMorgan as well.

However, in this instance, JPMorgan paid the FDIC (not WaMu) for WaMu assets--and the $1.9B figure writes off about $31B in bad loans up front, thus allowing JPMorgan to avoid having to write down those assets on their next quarterly.

In essence, JPMorgan didn't pay for those bad loans, therefore they have nothing to write off.

JPMorgan is taking on $176 billion in mortgage-related assets and writing down the value of it and other portfolios by about $31 billion, the company said. The bank will make a one- time payment of $1.9 billion to the FDIC as part of the deal.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...mI&refer=us

JPMorgan Chase said it would recognize projected losses on the loan portfolio upfront by marking down the value of the loans by a whopping $31 billion.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/25/news/compa...sion=2008092519

Why can't Ford do a hybrid/US Focus Police car with some of the bailout money and then use it for the public US Focus as well?

Because we want to be taken seriously...plus we carry a lot of shit in our cars.

It is funny to hear Jeremy Clarkson talk about our police chase shows...he dreads when the announcer comes on and says, "And now we have a video from England...". He holds his head because chasing the bad guy is some poor Brit. cop in a Focus or Astra diesel...:hysterical:

Nobody buys the Prius in Europe JPD we have diesel and yes our maximum speed limit is 70MPH in the UK and the Focus does the job.

Especially with that expensive $3/litre fuel you guys have, remember the US only pays $1/litre.

No wonder you all buy diesel sewing machines, government taxes raping you $2/litre at the pump!!