Can remote start be installed in 09 FEH?

twolostminds

I know...a remote start kills fuel economy and defeats some of the benefits of having a hybrid but.

My wife will have problems due to a neck injury and also being a little bit short reaching the center of the windsheild and having the strength to scrape off ice. She uses the remote start on our current truck about a dozen times each winter to melt the ice/snow a bit before going out to the truck after work. The company that installed our Viper xv770 in our current truck told us that they are sure it will work in the 08 but do not have any info on the 09 yet. Anyone able to help?

I know...a remote start kills fuel economy and defeats some of the benefits of having a hybrid but.

My wife will have problems due to a neck injury and also being a little bit short reaching the center of the windsheild and having the strength to scrape off ice. She uses the remote start on our current truck about a dozen times each winter to melt the ice/snow a bit before going out to the truck after work. The company that installed our Viper xv770 in our current truck told us that they are sure it will work in the 08 but do not have any info on the 09 yet. Anyone able to help?

Hi twolostminds. :D Remote Start is not available as a "Factory Option". However, it can be installed aftermarket.

Either contact your Dealer, or speak to an aftermarket electronic equipment installer. Most Electronic shops that install your better aftermarket sound systems also install remote start and alarm systems.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi twolostminds. :D Remote Start is not available as a "Factory Option". However, it can be installed aftermarket.

Either contact your Dealer, or speak to an aftermarket electronic equipment installer. Most Electronic shops that install your better aftermarket sound systems also install remote start and alarm systems.

just a slight stray off topic here, but it sounds like one of you can answer a question I've always had about this.

With ford having the computer chip in the key thing for security, I was told a long time ago, that if I wanted a remote start, I basically had to live with disabling that protection in the car. Is that true? I had one service teck tell me that they would end up putting a blank (non cut) key somewhere in the car that had the computer chip synced up with the car. That seemed awfully far fetched, but it was enough to stop any other queries I had. I'm not even sure how strong that computer chip deterant thing is, but I'll take anything I can get.

thanks in advance

cab

I think it is a very good question, as I am coming from a vehicle with remote start to a FEH, and like the idea of a de-iced window during the 6+ months of winter we seem to have in Michigan.

I know that the chip in the key can be bypassed by either a non-cut blank put into the vehicle or another type of box that emulates the key to trick the system into thinking that a valid key is in the ignition.

I personally think that the box that emulates the key only does so when remote starting, and therefore does not truly defeat the security.

Just my .02, but I am also considering a remote start.

Hi guys. :D When the Ford Remote Start System is installed, there is a "Securilok Interface Kit" which must also be installed with it. The "Securilok Interface Kit" is what allows the Remote Start to work without a "security chipped" key being hidden somewhere in the vehicle.

I do not know if the Securilok Interface can be made to work with non-Ford aftermarket remote start kits.

Personally, I would not want the cheap alternative to the Securilok Interface performed on my vehicle (hide/weld a key somewhere in the engine compartment). This action would permanently disable the Ant-theft capability of the Securilok chip in your keys and allow your car to be started with a non-security chipped key.

Essentially, your car would be able to be stolen the old fashioned and easy way: Break the steering column lock and twist the ignition with a large screwdriver.

You can browse all the available Ford Aftermarket Accessories here:LINK: Ford Accessories Click on the "Ford Custom Accessories" banner towards the top right, then fill in your vehicle information.

Just as an FYI: The Ford Accessories site seems to work better on Internet Explorer than Firefox and other Internet browsers.

Hope this information helps.

Edited by bbf2530

Using the factory key was the way that the installer put the system in my wife's VW.

Viper and Compustar both have Ford specific modules that emulate the key to allow the vehicle to be started but not driven off. If you touch the gas or brake pedal without a chipped key in the ignition the vehicle shuts down.

My question is this

Once the vehicle is started, and has run the ICE the required minimum, which will happen regardless of remote starting or not.

Since vehicle is sitting still in park, will it not then switch over to Full Electric mode, run the heater, and warm up the interior, and thus windows without the ICE running ?

Not quite sure on this one being I do not have vehicle yet, but would think vehicle goes Electric at first opportunity, once initial start requirements are met.

I had the remote start installed in my 09 MMH at the dealer before I picked it up. It was the first one that they had installed on a hybrid. It works great and it works just as if you start the car normally. The ICE will turn off after it's normal check and battery charge as usual. The only thing I do not like about the remote start is they use a small remote as an add on it does not work off of the keyless entry key. No biggie just something else on the keychain.

I install an aftermarket remote start in all my vehicles. I have the dealer make me a 3rd key, but make sure it is not the one with the built-in keyless entry buttons on it, but can still start the car. That key gets stored in a box under the dash that has an antenna in it. The box has a small transmitter that gets installed next to the key cylinder. The box gets activated only when the remote start tells it to (before it actually cranks the starter) and sends the 3rd key's signal to the key cylinder. This way it tricks the system but doesn't permanently disable the system. You don't need to buy the Ford-brand remote start, IMO the quality stereo/alarm shops have better stuff.

I intalled alarms and remote starts professionally for over 3 years, so I know a lot about how these work. Anything else though, well...