tainted Halloween candy

If this is true you might want to forget the candy this year. Most of the recalled candy seems to be white rabbit brand. But what about all the other candy made in China with their contaminated milk products?

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/10/02/asia/02milk.php

This week, the list of offenders grew longer as new government tests found traces of melamine in some batches of dairy products produced by 15 other companies, according to news agency reports. And traces of melamine have also been found in limited samples of yogurt and other products made with Chinese dairy ingredients.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/st...43-f2aa714ef6be

http://www.newsobserver.com/2191/story/1267309.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,427645,00.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081001/ap_on_.../candy_melamine

http://distributionbusinessarticles.blogsp...-in-us-for.html

http://www.ajc.com/health/content/shared-b...ou_worried.html

This just highlights some of the issues with globalization and corporate gigantism:

- Some spinach or beef get e-coli infected and within days there are outbreaks in 47 states

- contaminated products show up almost simultaneously in multiple countries

- a financial meltdown occurs and there is literally nowhere in the world to escape it (well, maybe North Korea).

When the Great Depression happened, most of the food Americans ate was still produced within 50 miles of home. If we had true economic disruption this time: if truckers and farmers couldn't get their fuel, if distributors couldn't get credit to secure their shipments, there would be mass starvation occurring here at home within weeks. We have enslaved ourselves to a very foolish and fragile system.

In all systems: cultural, biological, financial - there are advantages to smallness and localization - to compartmentalization. In all systems diversity is an advantage. We have forgotten that. We (the "modern" world) seem to be doing everything in our power to destroy diversity and to break down the natural firewalls that serve not so much to divide, but rather to protect.

Brave foolish New World.

Edited by retro-man

This just highlights some of the issues with globalization and corporate gigantism:

- Some spinach or beef get e-coli infected and within days there are outbreaks in 47 states

- contaminated products show up almost simultaneously in multiple countries

- a financial meltdown occurs and there is literally nowhere in the world to escape it (well, maybe North Korea).

When the Great Depression happened, most of the food Americans ate was still produced within 50 miles of home. If we had true economic disruption this time: if truckers and farmers couldn't get their fuel, if distributors couldn't get credit to secure their shipments, there would be mass starvation occurring here at home within weeks. We have enslaved ourselves to a very foolish and fragile system.

In all systems: cultural, biological, financial - there are advantages to smallness and localization - to compartmentalization. In all systems diversity is an advantage. We have forgotten that. We (the "modern" world) seem to be doing everything in our power to destroy diversity and to break down the natural firewalls that serve not so much to divide, but rather to protect.

Brave foolish New World.

I'm reading into this a case against the urbanization/homogenization of the American Society.

If this is what you meant by that, I wholly agree. Many have forgotten America's roots and have no concept of what to do when the lights go out.

I'm reading into this a case against the urbanization/homogenization of the American Society.

If this is what you meant by that, I wholly agree. Many have forgotten America's roots and have no concept of what to do when the lights go out.

There will be riots with mass starvation. If I remember this correctly, Stalin prevented the food supply from reaching certain parts of Russia to commit genocide.

Having grown up on a small family farm I'm thinking that with the advent of "factory farms" and the "family farms" having to farm more and more land to survive, there has been a loss of "control" over the quality of the products sent to market. More and more we are importing fruits and vegetables from other countries and the competition to survive in our markets is great. Wouldn't it be great if we could all go back to the having those gardens and supplying our own home processed produce? Unfortunately, we are not passing along those skills to our present generation. It is far to easy to go through the burger joint and grab "fast" food, than think about going home and sitting down to a home cooked meal with the family around the table enjoying good food and conversation.

Well, mom (and grandma) were probably in the kitchen most of the day peeling vegetables and preparing that dinner. Our go-go economy (under cover of women's rights - don't get me wrong, I am in favor of equal pay and equal opportunity, I just don't think we should have created the conditions where a 2nd income is a basic requirement of home ownership - which it is in many of the higher priced urban areas) has removed that whole part of our "social" economy, and forced their activities into the money economy (i.e. paying the guy to flip burgers, or paying someone to watch your kids all day). As I pointed out in a different thread, this has helped create the illusion of prosperity, when really our living standard is slipping.

Although I am a city guy, I have known a few farmers: a wife of a friend raised on a 400 acre corn and soy farm in Iowa - that is now an 800 acre farm, having taken over a neighboring farm, with the mom taking in bookkeeping and the dad working part time at the local feed mill just to make ends meet. And closer to home a girl (the farmer's daughter - a very very happy story from my own life) raised on a 64 acre dairy farm in a large comfortable house with a swimming pool, her and her brother sent to private college on the income - now the minimum size for a "competitive" dairy farm in Western Washington is 240 acres. I hear farmers complaining how they need to have access to global markets in order to remain viable. How did their fathers and grandfathers do it without this access? I have one answer to what has created these problems: cancerous growth of "the markets" - the same thing that has created the pickle we're all in right now.

On paper, we're much better off than we were 40 years ago. Those of us with a memory know better.

Yes RangerM, I am against - not the urbanization so much - there has always been a place for cities in civilization - but absolutely against the homogenization. Not just of American society, but of global society. It is setting us up for something very bad.

Edited by retro-man