Ford/Mazda Ties To Remain Strong

ANTAUS

LINK-Detroit News

..."Ford Motor Co. and Mazda Motor Corp. will remain close working partners even if the Dearborn automaker sells all or part of its controlling stake, Mazda's top North American official said Thursday."...

Close partners even if they sell every share? I dont buy it...

Successful partnerships don't require stock ownership.

So Toyota buys the shares from Ford, they have more to say on their business, and you think Mazda is going to say "Oh Ford, yeah we are still your friend, here come, suck my d---, we still love you....". ? Because personally if I'm Toyota, (or another automaker) I would cut ties and have them use my technology instead.

So Toyota buys the shares from Ford, they have more to say on their business, and you think Mazda is going to say "Oh Ford, yeah we are still your friend, here come, suck my d---, we still love you....". ? Because personally if I'm Toyota, (or another automaker) I would cut ties and have them use my technology instead.

It's Japanese bullshit as usual. To them, "Business is War" and there has been way too much lies in wars. Or it will be a one-way sharing deal. Mazda can borrow from Ford but not the other way around. I think they're already doing that. I mean aside from the 2.5 Duratec.

Edited by LincolnFan

Ford said they weren't selling their shares to a competitor.

LINK-Detroit News

..."Ford Motor Co. and Mazda Motor Corp. will remain close working partners even if the Dearborn automaker sells all or part of its controlling stake, Mazda's top North American official said Thursday."...

Close partners even if they sell every share? I dont buy it...

From other published reports, it seems that Ford's goal is to sell down to about a 20% ownership. And they are not selling to a competitor, but a consortium of Japanese institutional investors, including Sumitomo Corp which already holds a chunk of Mazda shares and is a firm Ford ally. It might even be that Sumitomo will take the lead coordination among the group of Japanese investors. Ford has had separate high-level meetings with Sumitomo since the beginning of the Ford-Mazda relationship over 30 years ago to ensure key shareholder alignment.

Mazda is the most efficient engineering source within the total Ford system. Ford has gained a lot by (finally) listening to Mazda, including the Product Development System which was patterned after Mazda's PD system. Mazda is intertwined in V6 and I4 design/manufacturing. Mazda is intertwined with the B and C cars and (I have a feeling but no data) will also ultimately be on-board with the next gen CD platform mid-cycle.

I don't like to see Ford lowering Mazda ownership. And, for that matter, I don't like to see the over reliance of Ford Europe vs. Mazda for design as FoE's track record in the US has been nothing to brag about. But, considering Ford's original stake in Mazda was around 25%, I'm not too concerned.