UAW needs to grant concessions

Fatso

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it. Over the last 20 years Ford and GM have spent close to 500 billion dollars, a great majority of that money was spent overseas. Ford bought Jag., and spent over $10 billion on new products, LR, Volvo, Mazda with almost every Volvo having a new model since Ford bought it. Ford has spent billions in India, China, Mexico, S. America, Europe and outside of profits in Europe, all of the money that they were spending was made from the profits in the U.S.A. If the UAW had strong leadership, it would have demanded that these companies retool the U.S. factories instead of spending the money overseas and in Mexico. Ford could have redesigned every vehicle in the U.S. and Canada, plus put extra in the pension fund, and shore up its health care obligations. But the UAW wouldnt demand that the greedy executives do right by the workers that depended on the UAW to stand up for its members. Now I hear on TV that the big 3 should go bankrupt so they can throw out the union contracts. Why, it was these union members who made all of the money that the big 3 wasted. Instead of the UAW explaining this to the media or sending out a press release, they allow the media to skew the facts. It might be up to the retired union members and the current membership to stand up for their rights. If I were speaking to the Congress, I would tell them that all vehicles and vehicle parts entering the U.S. will be imposed a 25% tariff to assist the American workers and allow the big three to pay the loans back (this includes Mexican and Canadian built vehicles and parts). Our U.S. built vehicles are not shipped around the world in numbers, plus Japan, Korea, as well as many Latin American countries put tariffs on U.S. vehicles, fair is fair. Realistically, once the current downturn is over, the big 3 (if still in business) will make billions in profits and easily be able to pay off loans. Toyota made over $13 billion profit last year. Pent up demand and new fuel efficient vehicles will bring riches to the automakers, but it should benefit the workers whos tax money bailed them out. This is just a few of my thoughts.

If active workers are forced to take pay/benefit cuts, you can bet the retirees will as well.

But.... what about the BIG DOGS at the top? Mulally won't take a pay cut but he expects everyone else to? We've given enough. Time for the higher ups to show how concerned they are about our survival. Iacocca worked for a buck, but Mulally won't. Talk about a greedy S.O.B!!