Cam-Torque Actuated variable valve timing system

Fuent cam timing design, tell us more.
:hysterical: That would require NDA's for everyone that views this forum...

The next step is to use this system but get rid of the hydraulic fluid altogether and replace it with a clutch.
Hint. The next step is to rethink the geometry of a cam altogether. Edited by Versa-Tech

Pretty cool!

Gotta laugh though. I can remember reading back in the 80's that the camshaft would soon be dead, replaced by solenoids. Really neat Idea that I bought into. Never took of due to high current required @ 12 volts.

We now have 200 to 300 volts in the hybrids. I think it is time that the auto industry finally ups the standard voltage in cars.

Solenoids would use a huge amount on energy. But so would turning a cam shaft. The value (not valve) of cam shaft is that while one cam is pushing a lifter, restricting the shaft, another cam is being pushed ahead using energy stored in the valvespring of a returning valve. The kinetic energy of the valve is recycled.

For Solenoids to work, you need a much more robust electrical system. And some way to use springs to recycle the kinetic energy of the valves.

The Solenoids can be used to either accelerate the valve or generate electricity by slowing down a valve. By properly designing and weighting the valve spring, you can get the valve to naturally bounce open and close. The solenoids only need to give it a little extra boost to open it a little more and to keep the timing correct.

It would be hell to get this system to work. But it would require very little power, and give you total contol over the valves.

I like the idea of using a cam shaft rather than trusting a computer to open the valves at the right time.

A cam shaft can be used for the standard valve opening and closing. Adding a solenoid to a cam lifted valve will let you both advance the timing phase and increase the duration. You get the best of both worlds.