Just Got Mine

GreyPony

Yep, just picked up our new Grey SEL Flex on Thursday. I have to say, the more I drive it, the more I like it. On Friday I went out with a friend and he wasn't sure in the beginning if he liked it or not. By the end of the day after saying, "oh, this is cool" and "that's neat" and "oh, I like that" a few times, he asked me if I could go back and show his wife the car. They are looking for a replacement for the van. Anyway, we can't get over how quiet it is on the highway. I will keep you posted but I gotta say, we love it!

• 3 weeks later...

Almost 4000kms on the odometre and no problems yet, except for keeping it clean with all the salt on the roads. I get a lot of comments on how better it looks than in the commercials. It's still to soon to say exactly what the fuel consumption is but, it is definitely better than the Windstar!

I recently got the chance to drive one when my Lincoln LS was in the shop for maintenance. It's comfortable and quiet, yes, but it just seemed too bulky for me. (Then again, the only SUV that I've driven in or sat in that I didn't get that feeling was the Escape/Mariner.) I had been considering one as a replacement vehicle for my mother eventually. (She has driven the Mercury Grand Marquis for ages.) She thought it was comfortable, too (whereas she really disliked the Escape), but also thought it to feel too bulky even compared to the Grand Marquis.

Edited by nelsonlu

I recently got the chance to drive one when my Lincoln LS was in the shop for maintenance. It's comfortable and quiet, yes, but it just seemed too bulky for me. (Then again, the only SUV that I've driven in or sat in that I didn't get that feeling was the Escape/Mariner.) I had been considering one as a replacement vehicle for my mother eventually. (She has driven the Mercury Grand Marquis for ages.) She thought it was comfortable, too (whereas she really disliked the Escape), but also thought it to feel too bulky even compared to the Grand Marquis.

Definitely try the Edge. My sister just bought a FWD Edge Limited and really loves it. She traded in an RX350.

Definitely try the Edge. My sister just bought a FWD Edge Limited and really loves it. She traded in an RX350.

Perhaps. Next time if my car is in the shop I'll ask if they have an Edge around. Thanks for the thought.

One other impression that I'll say that I forgot to mention above... Despite the bulky feel, it definitely had no problem accelerating on the highway, and I had to watch the speedometer to make sure that I don't go too fast accidentally. :stop:

What does she like better about the Edge?

The RX350 she had was a fairly strippo model while the Edge was a fully loaded Limited. She likes the Nav, Sync and the big Vista roof. She also likes the 20" chrome clad wheels. She didn't get a very good lease rate with the Lexus. With all the savings during the employee pricing and the fact that it was a leftover 08, they ended up buying it instead of leasing it. Also, the Lexus used premium while the Edge takes regular.

Perhaps. Next time if my car is in the shop I'll ask if they have an Edge around. Thanks for the thought.

One other impression that I'll say that I forgot to mention above... Despite the bulky feel, it definitely had no problem accelerating on the highway, and I had to watch the speedometer to make sure that I don't go too fast accidentally. :stop:

Just imagine the acceleration with a 3.5 EB!

• 2 weeks later...
I still have not seen one on the road.

Saturday I went out to do some errands, saw four of them buzzing around where I live. Just like any car, as soon as you see a couple on the road, that's when the sales numbers start going up. People tend to buy what they see on the road.

Saturday I went out to do some errands, saw four of them buzzing around where I live. Just like any car, as soon as you see a couple on the road, that's when the sales numbers start going up. People tend to buy what they see on the road.

I still have yet to see a Flex on the road and our local Ford dealers and stocked with them. Must not be popular over hear... To many dang Kia minivans...

Yep, just picked up our new Grey SEL Flex on Thursday. I have to say, the more I drive it, the more I like it. On Friday I went out with a friend and he wasn't sure in the beginning if he liked it or not. By the end of the day after saying, "oh, this is cool" and "that's neat" and "oh, I like that" a few times, he asked me if I could go back and show his wife the car. They are looking for a replacement for the van. Anyway, we can't get over how quiet it is on the highway. I will keep you posted but I gotta say, we love it!

GreyPony

Do you still like your flex?

Please tell me about the ride. My wife has an 09 4WD V6 Escape and the ride seems awfully bumpy on rough pavement.

How smooth is the ride? I have read all kinds of reviews that it is really quiet, but little about a soft ride.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

GreyPony

Do you still like your flex?

Please tell me about the ride. My wife has an 09 4WD V6 Escape and the ride seems awfully bumpy on rough pavement.

How smooth is the ride? I have read all kinds of reviews that it is really quiet, but little about a soft ride.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I want to know his update on the Flex too. Re-read the last article C&D crossover comparison, they did not like the Flex much.

I myself heard the Flex is quiet, isolated from the road noise, powerful, etc.

I'll wait for GreyPony's input!

I want to know his update on the Flex too. Re-read the last article C&D crossover comparison, they did not like the Flex much.

I myself heard the Flex is quiet, isolated from the road noise, powerful, etc.

I'll wait for GreyPony's input!

Well, here you go! We were looking for a replacement for our Windstar with 200k. We could't have picked better! As for quiet, I have never had anything as quiet as this! There is alot of sound deadening material in it, I would know, I see them going down the line. Anyways, we have noticed at how we do not have to raise our voice when driving at highway speeds, you can whisper to one another. The ride is smooth and very reasuring. This is no tin can! The view of the road is commanding while not feeling as if you are driving a pickup or a bus. The interior is spacious and very well finished. I get complimented every time someone gets in the back seat. The reaction is the same every time, they feel like they are in a limousine. There is plenty of power, way more than the Windstar had. Remember, this is a family vehicle, not a Mustang "that's my other car", but when you need it, the power is there. As for the fuel economy, "once more remember this is a big vehicle" it's way better than the Windstar. When you open the doors to get in, you don't get your pants dirty on the bottom of the car because the door wraps down to the bottom below the floorline. Back to the engine, it's very smooth, start one up and pop the hood "no prop rod by the way", you won't see it shake and hooked up with the 6 speed transmission, it is smooth. If there is anything else you would like to know, just ask.

Well, here you go! We were looking for a replacement for our Windstar with 200k. We could't have picked better! As for quiet, I have never had anything as quiet as this! There is alot of sound deadening material in it, I would know, I see them going down the line. Anyways, we have noticed at how we do not have to raise our voice when driving at highway speeds, you can whisper to one another. The ride is smooth and very reasuring. This is no tin can! The view of the road is commanding while not feeling as if you are driving a pickup or a bus. The interior is spacious and very well finished. I get complimented every time someone gets in the back seat. The reaction is the same every time, they feel like they are in a limousine. There is plenty of power, way more than the Windstar had. Remember, this is a family vehicle, not a Mustang "that's my other car", but when you need it, the power is there. As for the fuel economy, "once more remember this is a big vehicle" it's way better than the Windstar. When you open the doors to get in, you don't get your pants dirty on the bottom of the car because the door wraps down to the bottom below the floorline. Back to the engine, it's very smooth, start one up and pop the hood "no prop rod by the way", you won't see it shake and hooked up with the 6 speed transmission, it is smooth. If there is anything else you would like to know, just ask.

Thanks for the review. If we can, we will get a 2010 4wd Limited with EcoBoost. Unless gas proces go waaay up.

I got mine around Thanksgiving. I absolutely love the thing! Nice quiet and really smooth ride, even over rough pavement. I love all the features it has and how simple and intuitive everything is to use.

I am slowly starting to see them around. Just the other day I saw two Limiteds in a day (I had only seen 1 or two other Limiteds for weeks before that). So I think part of it is as you say, once people see it, they'll take a look at it (at the dealer) and perhaps buy it. I try to do my part and take the scenic route to places (many times the routes with lots of people out walking around) in order to hopefully get people to notice it....maybe it'll create some interest in the car. I like it when people look at, comment, and question about the car.

I got mine around Thanksgiving. I absolutely love the thing! Nice quiet and really smooth ride, even over rough pavement. I love all the features it has and how simple and intuitive everything is to use.

I am slowly starting to see them around. Just the other day I saw two Limiteds in a day (I had only seen 1 or two other Limiteds for weeks before that). So I think part of it is as you say, once people see it, they'll take a look at it (at the dealer) and perhaps buy it. I try to do my part and take the scenic route to places (many times the routes with lots of people out walking around) in order to hopefully get people to notice it....maybe it'll create some interest in the car. I like it when people look at, comment, and question about the car.

Exactly! I am starting to see more buzzing around here. The other day my wife came home and said a gentleman asked her if she liked it and he was going to get his wife to test drive a Flex. I get more people looking at my flex than my Mustang!

Exactly! I am starting to see more buzzing around here. The other day my wife came home and said a gentleman asked her if she liked it and he was going to get his wife to test drive a Flex. I get more people looking at my flex than my Mustang!

Thats funny, I had an older gentleman (not too "older" though) ask if I liked mine a few weeks ago. I showed him the interior and told him a few features....he seemed interested, not sure HOW interested he was, but still, if just showing the occasional person the vehicle and being polite translates into just one sale or even just gets the person into a showroom, I've at least done something to help Ford out (outside of purchasing more vehicles).

Thats funny, I had an older gentleman (not too "older" though) ask if I liked mine a few weeks ago. I showed him the interior and told him a few features....he seemed interested, not sure HOW interested he was, but still, if just showing the occasional person the vehicle and being polite translates into just one sale or even just gets the person into a showroom, I've at least done something to help Ford out (outside of purchasing more vehicles).

Thank You!

• 1 month later...

Today I pulled into a parking lot and there was an empty spot, right beside another Flex. When I came out I saw the owner and said "Nice Flex!" and then got into mine. Right away she rolled down her window and asked if I loved mine as much as she loved hers. I said yes and thank you, because I take part in building them. I then found out that her husband was a manager at a dealer and she told me that more and more people are taking an interest in the vehicule.

We get a lot of looks and people asking about ours. We live in a small town (~1100), and get a lot of stares as people just don't see them. They are a great car, especially once you step foot inside. My wife didn't like the looks, but the interior sold her on it.

It seems that either you like it or don't, no in between. But, like all things, you will get a customed to it. Cars used to be round, then they went very square, then round again and now square again? Who knows? Maybe the shape of the Flex is the thing of the futur? Only time will tell. As for the interior, we get nothing but compliments.

It seems that either you like it or don't, no in between. But, like all things, you will get a customed to it. Cars used to be round, then they went very square, then round again and now square again? Who knows? Maybe the shape of the Flex is the thing of the futur? Only time will tell. As for the interior, we get nothing but compliments.

Well, I'd say at least one thing's for sure.....the Flex's interior is definitely the future of Ford's interiors.