MKT vs Flex

rcf8000

The only place I've seen dimensions for the MKT is in media.ford.com. If we are to believe the numbers stated, the MKT has much less cargo volume than the Flex, behind the first, second, and third rows. Also, the MKT has less 2nd row legroom and much less third row headroom. The MKT is apparently about 6 inches longer than the Flex, but has the same wheelbase, according to the figures given. I think a lot of the MKT data is in error, including the wheelbase. Can anyone confirm this?

The only place I've seen dimensions for the MKT is in media.ford.com. If we are to believe the numbers stated, the MKT has much less cargo volume than the Flex, behind the first, second, and third rows. Also, the MKT has less 2nd row legroom and much less third row headroom. The MKT is apparently about 6 inches longer than the Flex, but has the same wheelbase, according to the figures given. I think a lot of the MKT data is in error, including the wheelbase. Can anyone confirm this?

Doesn't sound like it's in error to me. The rear overhang in the MKT appears to be longer than the Flex's, which would lend to its increased overall length, while the slanted rear glass would undoubtedly eat into 3rd row headroom and would impact all three cargo room measurements in the same manner. So nothing too shocking there simply based on its appearance.

The one that surprises me is the 2nd row legroom. Does the MKT have a 2nd row slider like the Flex? If so, that may not be much of an issue.

I'd certainly expect the MKT to have less third row headroom than the Flex. However, if it's 5.2 inches less, as their specs say, then what we have here is a very large vehicle with a nearly useless third row seat.

How much is 5.2 inches? Hold your thumb and index finger apart on your hand. It's probably less than that. Is that really a heck of a lot? Will it be as useful as the Flex's? Probably not, but I would say it's a safe bet that the MKT buyer will be expected to have 3rd row passengers a lot less often than Flex buyers will. Still, it's probably better than many of its competitors. Or, as you suggest, there could simply be errors.

• 3 months later...

As much as I enjoy the tack Ford's designers have taken from '09 forward, and it's certainly a matter of subjective taste, I think Lincoln really missed the boat with the MKT's styling. For all the reasons I purchased and love a Flex, I wouldn't choose the MKT.

To me, the MKT looks very much like what a Maybach hearse would be.

• 8 months later...

I'd certainly expect the MKT to have less third row headroom than the Flex. However, if it's 5.2 inches less, as their specs say, then what we have here is a very large vehicle with a nearly useless third row seat.

Ive had a 2009 Flex and now have a 2010 MKT the Flex has much more room in 3 row and front seats. Flex is much more confortable

Edited by wmatzen

Ive had a 2009 Flex and now have a 2010 MKT the Flex has much more room in 3 row and front seats. Flex is much more confortable

I agree. While MKT has some superior interior material options and a more refined fit, finish, and some NVH improvements, there's really nothing about it that makes it more (or even as) compelling as Flex, even aesthetically. I think MKT is a well-made, well-equipped vehicle that just doesn't equate to the sum of it's parts. About the only feature-specific aspect of MKT I prefer is Adaptive Cruise.

How much is 5.2 inches? Hold your thumb and index finger apart on your hand. It's probably less than that. Is that really a heck of a lot? Will it be as useful as the Flex's? Probably not, but I would say it's a safe bet that the MKT buyer will be expected to have 3rd row passengers a lot less often than Flex buyers will. Still, it's probably better than many of its competitors. Or, as you suggest, there could simply be errors.

There were no error to the dimension numbers. Just recently first met the MKT in person at the showroom. I sat in every seats, the 3rd row head room was bad. Let say I am 5'-10", I have to squashed my butt forward on the seat cushion, curve my back bone, my head still stuck on the head liner. :finger: Very disappointing! I used to like the MKT's styling, but with the quite unusable 3rd seat, I rather go for the Flex, I want my passengers to be comfortable!

About the cargo space, if you notice, the side walls at the 3rd row were thicker and space narrower than the Flex. In addition to the curve roof, the cargo space should be less than the Flex.

Even the first 2 rows, it felt not as roomy than the Flex that I can understand. And their two steps arm rests at the doors are not working. This confirmed the concern I had on these arm rests when I first looked at the publicity photos!

Edited by LoveTaurus

You're spot on. Flex makes the absolute most of it's squarish dimensions. While MKT is indeed a fine vehicle in its own right, the compromises made solely for the sake of styling, and at SUCH a dramatic cost to functionality, I really think MKT is the poorer for it. The 3rd row really is all but useless for grown adults, and the outcome ends up being a 4/5 seater with some added space and "insurance seats" like roadsters of old used to have. Hopefully, MKT 2.0 will make better use of all it has to otherwise offer.

• 2 weeks later...

There were no error to the dimension numbers. Just recently first met the MKT in person at the showroom. I sat in every seats, the 3rd row head room was bad. Let say I am 5'-10", I have to squashed my butt forward on the seat cushion, curve my back bone, my head still stuck on the head liner. finger.gif Very disappointing! I used to like the MKT's styling, but with the quite unusable 3rd seat, I rather go for the Flex, I want my passengers to be comfortable!

About the cargo space, if you notice, the side walls at the 3rd row were thicker and space narrower than the Flex. In addition to the curve roof, the cargo space should be less than the Flex.

Even the first 2 rows, it felt not as roomy than the Flex that I can understand. And their two steps arm rests at the doors are not working. This confirmed the concern I had on these arm rests when I first looked at the publicity photos!

I agree about the two-tier arm rests - I've never liked how they looked since I saw them in pictures, just like you.

What will that be? Isn't the MKS the Lincoln's flagship sedan, MKT based on? Although D4 is a revision of D3 platform!

the MKS is only the Lincoln flagship 'du jour' & 'de jure'

imho the real thing would use the Flex/MKT's extra 5" of wlb

• 3 months later...

I sat in both at the Chicago Auto Show and walked away thoroughly impressed by the Ford and deeply disappointed by the Lincoln. The Flex had gobs more room overall in the second and third rows. Headroom was horrible in the MKT. I saw no advantage in buying the Lincoln. I'm not much for the name Flex, but it is the most appealing people mover as far as I'm concerned. I got claustrophobic in the GM lambda models.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, I drive for a race team up here in Canada, we were in Edmonton racing one weekend and the team had a Flex rental car, we managed to get 11 crew members into it, we put the 2 kids into the luggage space in the back to achieve this though, lol.

I drove the car, I thought it was an awesome little car, although I'm biased, as I work at the Oakville Assembly Complex wink.gif

I think I mentioned this in another thread, I drive for a race team up here in Canada, we were in Edmonton racing one weekend and the team had a Flex rental car, we managed to get 11 crew members into it, we put the 2 kids into the luggage space in the back to achieve this though, lol.

I drove the car, I thought it was an awesome little car, although I'm biased, as I work at the Oakville Assembly Complex.

You COULD have fit another 4 kids if the Flex had roof rails instead of the Vista Roof.

I'm afraid Ford really missed the mark with MKT. It's a beautifully-made vehicle on a solid platform, and equipped with EcoBoost, a real kick in the pants to drive. But the practical trade-offs versus Flex and taking the Lincoln design language WAY over the top was just too much. MKT's production version would have been far more appropriate in concept only as a harbinger of the many improvements Lincoln has made and a demonstrator of much that's "in the pipe" to come. At least some of the early Flex/MKT issues like seam fit and "clean" assembly seems to be improving.

make sure you stay out of the back of an MB R-class, T'Cal ! ! !

I just about had a panic attack trying that out at an autoshow :eek:/no-lie

Oh really! I haven't been in the MB R-class. And I have been puzzling of its 3rd row dimensions for a while. Both MB R and BMW X5 seems to have hiding their interior dimensions, especially for the 3rd row. They don't print them in their brochures and difficult to find on various auto web sites!

• 2 months later...

I'd like to see Ford replace the Town Car with a sedan version of the Flex. I'd use the front end styling of the MKZ (the most successful iteration of the new Lincoln face), and add a roofline similar to the outgoing TC. The Flex has a huge amount of room in the first and second rows making it a good choice for Lincoln's biggest car. If the MKT is just as roomy, I suppose that could be the starting point, but I just don't like its grille work. It would have to be cleaned up.