buy American ?

marty95

WE ARE COMMITTED TO INCREASING OUR INVESTMENT IN U.S. PARTS AND MATERIALS PURCHASING. Last year Toyota spent more than $26 billion for parts, materials, goods and services from hundreds of North American suppliers and business partners. In turn, our purchases from these suppliers directly create more than 45,000 local jobs. And our relationship with local suppliers is one reason 95% of the steel used to produce Toyota's American-built* vehicles is sourced here in the United States.

Straight from Toyotas website..........

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford builds cars and trucks, if you work for Ford, then you should buy a Ford. IF you buy some import crap, then your neighbors whom know that you work at Ford and buying something else. If they were thinking about a Ford, they ain't gonna buy one because perception is everything, and they will figure that you know something that the average consumer don't and that will scare them away and we lose another sale. Ford has vehicles in every segment.

Y'all have a good one

fine, but right now Ford has NOTHING i want or can reasonably afford!! unless you want to help me pay the note. I don't like trucks or SUV's, so what left? Fusion or 500? Fusion looks interesting but its a 1st year vehicle and i'd rather wait to make sure any bugs are found and corrected and buy next year or two model, the 500 doesn't interest me at this point.

You are right on the money man, people see a Ford worker driving something other than a Ford, they think there must be a reason. We should be promoting Ford every chance we get starting with what we drive.

easy to say if you see something you like and can afford but Ford is coming up short on both counts as far as i'm concerned. I used to drive only Ford but when they started ending cars and going more into trucks/SUV's, they lost me as a consumer. bash me all you want but facts are facts.

WE ARE COMMITTED TO INCREASING OUR INVESTMENT IN U.S. PARTS AND MATERIALS PURCHASING. Last year Toyota spent more than $26 billion for parts, materials, goods and services from hundreds of North American suppliers and business partners. In turn, our purchases from these suppliers directly create more than 45,000 local jobs. And our relationship with local suppliers is one reason 95% of the steel used to produce Toyota's American-built* vehicles is sourced here in the United States.

your point?

maybe his budget could be help better if he DIDN"T work at ford...that way he could afford less?

eat shit Dark, you don't know a GD thing! pos loser! :finger::finger:

Profits from sales go back to Japan.

profits go to shareholders.

you can go and buy Toyota stock anytime you want.

Ford profits also go to Japan... and CHina and Canada and South Africa and anywhere else there are shareholders.

nope, look it up..what percentage does it have?? it is mostly imported....i looked...

it is only 30% made here..mainly assembled!

Actually, you're both wrong.

As of the 2005 model year, the Camry was built from 70 percent domestic parts, including most of the engine and drivetrain.

That's more than the 30 percent domestic conent in the Mexican-built Fusion, but far below the 90 percent domestic Chevy Malibu or the 91 percent domestic Impala.

I've toured that plant. They stamp their own parts and build their 4-cylinder engines in the plant. The 6-cylinders come from West Virginia. It's not a matter of people slapping on a steering wheel and mounting the tires. They build cars in Kentucky, a hell of a lot of them. Some of the electronics and computers come from Asia, but the vast majority of parts come from suppliers within 100 miles, including a lot of union shops in Ohio.

Toyota's most American car is the Sienna minivan, 90 percent. It's built in Indiana with parts from Dana, Delphi and Visteon... meaning a lot of union labor goes into the non-union-built vehicle. But most of Toyota's U.S.-built vehicles fall in the mid-to-high 70s for domestic content. Most of Ford and GM's products are hovering around the mid 80s.

The big difference is the direction. Toyota has moved up to the 70s from the 50s. Ford and GM have moved down to the 80s from nearly 100 percent. In another five years, I could see Toyota offering more domestic content in its vehicles than Chrysler and matching Ford, if Ford keeps pushing its suppliers to move to China.

Right now, the choice is clear. If you want to buy American, Ford is your most domestic choice. GM is second (become a more distant second as it imports engines from China), and Chrysler is third. Toyota beats out Honda and Nissan, but not by much.

But if current trend continue, GM is going to have to come down off of its high horse (Bob Lutz making the same "they don't build here" comments that Dark made) and admit that it's the one screwing autoworkers by telling suppliers "move to Asia or lose our business."

Bob

Ford profits also go to Japan... and CHina and Canada and South Africa and anywhere else there are shareholders.

According the Toyota's last annual report (2005) filed with the SEC, American Deposits accounted for about 70 million Toyota shares, a little more than 2 percent of the company's outstanding stock.

So yes, some Americans are benefiting from Toyota's profits, but 98 percent of those profits are not leaving the islands.

Bob

Why do you think the toyota web sites and their window stickers mention american made percentages? It's because, the normal american consumer is still conscious of what their buying,[ or at least they should be.] and toyota is trying to sway the american conscious consumers over to them. Toyota executives are very smart [or decivious] on what they are doing. look, It's even working on the minds of american autoworkers like youguys [talking about brainwashing.]

Why do you think the toyota web sites and their window stickers mention american made percentages? It's because, the normal american consumer is still conscious of what their buying,[ or at least they should be.] and toyota is trying to sway the american conscious consumers over to them. Toyota executives are very smart [or decivious] on what they are doing. look, It's even working on the minds of american autoworkers like youguys [talking about brainwashing.]

Something else that bothers me about their window sticker, is that I have heard numorous times that the

MPG is total bullshit, that they jack up the numbers to make sales, Is this possible?????

you would think that something like that would be monitored by someone..

P.S. bighead, are you going to the union meeting today at 3.00?

Something else that bothers me about their window sticker, is that I have heard numorous times that the

MPG is total bullshit, that they jack up the numbers to make sales, Is this possible?????

you would think that something like that would be monitored by someone..

P.S. bighead, are you going to the union meeting today at 3.00?

The Feds are supposedly checking into this very thing.I'll believe it when I see it! :shrug:

Edited by Bowie

According the Toyota's last annual report (2005) filed with the SEC, American Deposits accounted for about 70 million Toyota shares, a little more than 2 percent of the company's outstanding stock.

So yes, some Americans are benefiting from Toyota's profits, but 98 percent of those profits are not leaving the islands.

Bob

then I would say there are a lot of people that should be questioning their financial advisors on why there is GM in the portfolio instead of Toyota stock.

No one is more concerned about you keeping your money than YOU

If you want to buy american, go ahead

I have made that mistake

my 2001 taurus with 50k is worth less than a 1999 camry with 70k!

Thats funny I sold my 2003 Taurus SES, for above Blue Book, drove it for a 1.5 yrs, Just Traded in my 2005 Mustang, I fiananced 23k, dealer gave me 23k trade in on a car I had 16 months,

Neighbor just bought a used Honda, bragging how it holds its value, best part is it has been in the shop more then his driveway, he said its going bye bye. Its all the wrong perception.

Plus your Taurus was probably the rental version and your camry isnt .

YOU are 100% wrong you brought it up now prove it!
Go to a Toyota dealership and check the sticker. I guess that's the easiest way. I have a 2005 Mercury Montego. Imagine my surprise, and my disgust, to see that the domestic content is only 65%. Same with my parents 2004 Ford Explorer, in their case with a German V-6 and a French transmission.

How do you figure craignorden is 100% wrong? What are you basing this on? I hate Toyota, but they are building engines here in the USA, with blocks and cylinder heads cast here, and pistons and connecting rods coming from USA manufacturers, and/or USA operations of Toyota subsidiaries (Michigan Auto Compressor, off I-94 near Jackson, MI, is an example of a Toyota subsidiary that most of us wouldn't know anything about).

yeah what does the * mean ??

LOL

i buy only FORD products*

*only when i was thinking about it ,five years ago!

fine, but right now Ford has NOTHING i want or can reasonably afford!! unless you want to help me pay the note. I don't like trucks or SUV's, so what left? Fusion or 500? Fusion looks interesting but its a 1st year vehicle and i'd rather wait to make sure any bugs are found and corrected and buy next year or two model, the 500 doesn't interest me at this point.

easy to say if you see something you like and can afford but Ford is coming up short on both counts as far as i'm concerned. I used to drive only Ford but when they started ending cars and going more into trucks/SUV's, they lost me as a consumer. bash me all you want but facts are facts.

your point?

oh wow....more shit....maybe ford would be better off if you DIDN"T work at ford!!

LOL

nope, i still wont buy toy yoda or ho-nda....so how is it working?

Go to a Toyota dealership and check the sticker. I guess that's the easiest way. I have a 2005 Mercury Montego. Imagine my surprise, and my disgust, to see that the domestic content is only 65%. Same with my parents 2004 Ford Explorer, in their case with a German V-6 and a French transmission.

How do you figure craignorden is 100% wrong? What are you basing this on? I hate Toyota, but they are building engines here in the USA, with blocks and cylinder heads cast here, and pistons and connecting rods coming from USA manufacturers, and/or USA operations of Toyota subsidiaries (Michigan Auto Compressor, off I-94 near Jackson, MI, is an example of a Toyota subsidiary that most of us wouldn't know anything about).

yes i see they are building here...but not ALL american car sales(t. /h.) have the same content..what i mean is they are importing some of the cars as well...that is how they are at 110% factory output!

i know honda imported 1.1 mil. cars last year..yeah they built 3.? here but still imported this much...

:violin:

your point?

hey, how do you get those fingers. I go to show all and click but nothing happens :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

naw...a part of the profits go to shareholders...and more of that to those that hold preffered stock which is much more japan than american. The rest goes to company coffers....in...duh..duh..duh...JAPAN!!

Funny I dont see Honda/Toyoda on this list?

USA Owned, USA Assembly, USA Engine, USA Transmission, Highest % US/Canadian Parts Content.

2005 Chevrolet Astro Rwd Cargo Van 4.3v6 4spd Auto

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Baltimore, MD

USA Engine

USA Transmission

92% US/Canadian Parts Content

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Base Sedan 2.2L4 4spd Auto

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Kansas City, KS

USA Engine

USA Transmission

90% US/Canadian Parts Content

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4 Door Sedan 3.0v6 Auto OD

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Atlanta, GA

USA Engine

USA Transmission

2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP Sedan 4.6 v8 4spd Auto

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Hamtramck, MI

USA Engine

USA Transmission

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 2WD 4.2i6 4spd Auto

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Moraine, OH

USA Engine

USA Transmission

2005 Chevrolet Colorado 2wd LS Crew Cab Z85 3.5i5 4spd Auto

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Shreveport, LA

USA Engine

USA Transmission

86% US/Canadian Parts Content

2005 Ford F-150 4x2 Regular Cab 4.6v8 4spd Auto OD

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Norfolk, VA

USA Engine

USA Transmission

2005 Ford F-150 4x2 Supercab 4.6v8 4spd Auto OD

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Norfolk, VA

USA Engine

USA Transmission

2005 Ford F-150 4x2 Supercrew 4.6v8 4spd Auto OD

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Dearborn, MI

USA Engine

USA Transmission

2005 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercrew 5.4v8 4spd Auto OD

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Kansas City, MO

USA Engine

USA Transmission

2005 Ford Escape XLT 4wd 3.0v6 4spd Auto OD

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Kansas City, MO

USA Engine

USA Transmission

85% US/Canadian Parts Content

2005 Ford Thunderbird 3.9v8 5spd Auto

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Wixon, MI

USA Engine

USA Transmission

85% US/Canadian Parts Content

2005 Ford Expedition XLS 4x2 5.4v8 4spd Auto OD

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Wayne, MI

USA Engine

USA Transmission

80% US/Canadian Parts Content

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4v8 4spd Auto OD

USA Owned

USA Assembly- Wayne, MI

USA Engine

USA Transmission

80% US/Canadian Parts Content

Edited by 05StangAwsomecar

Good read!

Driven to buy American by sense of economic loyalty

Sunday, April 16, 2006

I drove Japanese cars for the better part of 25 years and was glad to do so. I prized reliability, and the Japanese set the standard for mass-produced cars.

They still do. But about 15 years ago, I began to buy American. Among the reasons was Japan's mercantilist economic policy, which meant they were focused primarily on manufacturing for export while protecting domestic markets. It finally got to me that they were getting rich exploiting our free-trade policies while finding a pack of ways to make it difficult for us to sell our wares in their country.

Buying domestic has not been an entirely trouble-free experience. In the 1990s, I had an American car that I kept too long. I wearied of fixing it. I changed brands about six years ago and focused on cars with "very good" reliability records, and I have had a good, if not perfect, experience.

I'm saying this because it's still commonplace for Americans to say American manufacturers mostly make junk. Once it was truer than not. Now it's a lie. De- troit's behemoths have made enormous strides.

While the Japanese overwhelmingly dominate Consumer Reports' top reliability category today because of their excellence, American makers have a significant number of entries in the next category, "very good." These cars are rated by Consumer Reports fully equal in reliability to many well-known models made by the Japanese, including the best-selling Toyota Camry.

These things are said at a time of crisis for the American auto industry. Market share for General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Corp. is melting away. Since the domestic brands have changed their acts, why is this happening?

One reason is many buyers are still nursing old wounds. Once burned, twice remembered. A survey late last year by J.D. Power and Associates noted that, "The good news for Detroit is that the quality of domestic vehicles is higher than many people perceive it to be." The bad news? Perception rules. J.D. Power suggested Detroit raise its prices. Selling at big discounts encourages people to believe the goods are inferior.

Some argue, "Why not the best?" If that's you, you're looking at Japanese. The sole exception among the 15 models on Consumers Reports' "most reliable" list in its 2006 car issue is the Chevrolet Monte Carlo. It's undeniable that American makers still have a ways to go.

Detroit also needs to jazz up it's lineup. As Eaton Corp. CEO Alexander Cutler said in a Plain Dealer interview recently, "The lesson in the automotive market is it's all about product. And that's it. . . You've got to have stuff that really excites the consumer."

For some people, there's a kind of anti-establishment mentality. In my opinion, for instance, a great many of those who refuse to shop at Wal-Mart because it so heavily depends on Asian imports - and costs Americans their jobs - are also buying foreign-marque cars with abandon, oblivious to the irony. These same people are often sympathetic to organized labor, yet they buy nonunion cars while union jobs are decimated.

This column in no way intends to detract from the excellent job being done by thousands of American workers at the Honda and Toyota factories here. In fact, the foreign makers have effectively blurred the issue by investing billions in U.S. plants. Since it's harder to say what's "us" and what's "them," people stop thinking about it at all. Still, I would rather my money went to Detroit instead of Tokyo.

Loyalty to American brands is softening countrywide, J.D. Power says, but it's particularly low in the South and West. It's stronger here in the Midwest, where you could make an argument that loyalty is in your economic interest.

A few months ago, I was doing some research for a column and drove by the U.S. Steel and Republic Engineered Technologies works in Lorain. I pulled my large American car that gets 28 to 29 mpg (highway) and has "very good" reliability, according to Consumer Reports, into a parking lot by the main gate. As the car slid in among the other American makes, I had a good feeling.

Mock me if you will. Call me sentimental, tribal, chauvinistic, antediluvian, atavistic - heck, call me antidisestablishmentarian. But in a small yet meaningful way, I felt I belonged.

Steve Talbott is a Plain Dealer deputy business editor. He can be reached at stalbott@plaind.com or 216-999-4296.

Edited by 05StangAwsomecar

:violin:

hey, how do you get those fingers. I go to show all and click but nothing happens :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

when you click for "show all" look at the bottom toolbar and you'll see all of them :)

yeah what does the * mean ??

LOL

i buy only FORD products*

*only when i was thinking about it ,five years ago!

oh wow....more shit....maybe ford would be better off if you DIDN"T work at ford!!

LOL

nope, i still wont buy toy yoda or ho-nda....so how is it working?

yes i see they are building here...but not ALL american car sales(t. /h.) have the same content..what i mean is they are importing some of the cars as well...that is how they are at 110% factory output!

i know honda imported 1.1 mil. cars last year..yeah they built 3.? here but still imported this much...

dark you definitely shouldn't work for Ford, with workers like YOU, who talks trash all the time, you think your soooo smart but its not true and everyone reading knows too. :finger:

All automakers place domestic content stickers on their vehicles because it's the law. The UAW and the domestics pushed for one version in the early 1980s, and they tacked similar legislation on to the highway funding act in 1992. In some cases, the stickers help Toyota by showing buyers that some content is from the U.S. In some cases, buyers seen the 0-5 percent stickers on some of the SUVs, it's a turnoff.

Bob

when you click for "show all" look at the bottom toolbar and you'll see all of them :)

dark you definitely shouldn't work for Ford, with workers like YOU, who talks trash all the time, you think your soooo smart but its not true and everyone reading knows too. :finger:

wooo..good comeback..LOL

maybe ford will LAY you off for being an asshole!!

LOL

you dont even deserve unemployment!!!

oh and hope you have LOTS of fucking trouble with that LEXUS you bought..

way to buy ford products..

you dumbfuck....

American Automobile Manufacturers Association

Comments to the

Federal Trade Commission

Regarding "Made in the USA" Advertising Claims

January 22, 1996

Introduction

The American Automobile Manufacturers Association (AAMA) hereby responds

to the request for comment by the Federal Trade Commission (the Commission) regarding

"Made in the USA" claims in product advertising (60 Fed. Reg. 53922,

October 18, 1995).

AAMA is the trade association comprised of Chrysler Corporation, Ford Motor

Company, and General Motors Corporation, the three traditional U.S.-based

manufacturers of passenger cars and light trucks. General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler are

truly global companies, individually ranking first, second, and fifth, respectively, among

producers of motor vehicles worldwide and together accounting for over one-third of the

world's production of cars and trucks.

Notwithstanding AAMA members' increasingly strong presence in world markets,

the United States remains the most significant market and source of production for

America's car companies. Over 80 percent of the cars and trucks built in the U.S. are

Chrysler, Ford, or General Motors products and 95 percent of Americans employed in

auto manufacturing work for those three companies. In all, AAMA members employ

600,000 Americans in auto manufacturing, while foreign-based auto assembly plants

("transplants") employ 35,000. AAMA members annually account for between four and

five percent of the nation's Gross Domestic Product (GDP) economic output. As such,

AAMA's members have an important interest in accurate and meaningful use of "Made in

the USA" claims.

Summary of Views

During the past decade, the United States again has become the most important

producer of motor vehicles in the world. For AAMA's three members, as well as for the

nine foreign-based manufacturers who assemble vehicles here, the term "Made in the

USA" connotes quality and economic commitment to the community and, as such, has an

intrinsic value to consumers. AAMA and its member companies appreciate the efforts of

the Commission to ensure that consumers can have confidence that a "Made in the USA"

claim means what they expect.

However, as an industry that already must calculate the domestic content of its

products under three separate U.S. laws, as well as comply with dozens of foreign

marking requirements, we are concerned about efforts to establish additional new rules,

specifically content percentages, to judge characterizations of products as "Made in the

USA."

Moreover, we note that consumers' contextual understanding of a "Made in the

USA" claim may vary greatly from product to product and, for our industry, has changed

in recent years and may continue to evolve. Therefore, we suggest that the Commission

reject setting rigid standards that may soon become obsolete or cause more confusion than

they resolve.

Rather, we suggest that the Commission continue to consider specific challenges

to "Made in the USA" claims on a case-by-case basis. In doing so, we recommend the

Commission apply well-established principles of advertising law, considering the express

and reasonably implied meaning of the claim, the materiality to the consumer of the claim,

and whether the advertiser has a reasonable basis from which to make the claim. This

approach will allow regulators to account for changing consumer perception and public

policy interests.

Development of Today's U.S. Automotive Market

Building an automobile is among the most complex manufacturing tasks in the

world and consumers have benefited from the growing globalization of the industry.

American new car and truck purchasers have more choices than consumers anywhere else

in the world, with the opportunity to choose from vehicles assembled in eight countries

containing significant content added by many more. Because of the array of choices

facing consumers, AAMA believes a new car or truck buyer should have access to

information regarding the origin of the vehicle. However, an examination of the U.S.

automotive market's recent development demonstrates how difficult it may be to monitor

and characterize that information using rigid, "bright-line" rules..

A generation ago, American consumers had little difficulty distinguishing between

an "American" auto and an "import." During the 1960s, virtually all models offered by

AAMA members were assembled in the U.S. with components of virtually 100 percent

U.S. origin. Accordingly, "imports" were assembled overseas and contained, usually,

100 percent foreign content.

Four trends changed that simple equation:

À First, the 1965 Automotive Products Trade Agreement eliminated auto

and auto parts tariffs and harmonized standards between the U.S. and Canada.

http://www.ftc.gov/opp/jointvent/madeusa/ftp/usa/103.txt to read the rest.

wooo..good comeback..LOL

maybe ford will LAY you off for being an asshole!!

LOL

you dont even deserve unemployment!!!

oh and hope you have LOTS of fucking trouble with that LEXUS you bought..

way to buy ford products..

you dumbfuck....

i rest my case, you think i drive a Lexus? i never said what i drive dumbass, and read(if you've learned yet) my previous post as to why i don't drive a Ford right now. every time you open your hole, you prove me right so keep it up dark and give all of us a good show like always. :finger:

i rest my case, you think i drive a Lexus? i never said what i drive dumbass, and read(if you've learned yet) my previous post as to why i don't drive a Ford right now. every time you open your hole, you prove me right so keep it up dark and give all of us a good show like always. :finger:

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I'm tellin' ya, Darkie probably hasn't been laid in years. After all, who would do it with him, beside his pet ferret? I'm sure his rants and diatribes are the result of pent-up sexual frustration.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I'm tellin' ya, Darkie probably hasn't been laid in years. After all, who would do it with him, beside his pet ferret? I'm sure his rants and diatribes are the result of pent-up sexual frustration.

nope wrong again asswipe.....those that talk about sex frustration usually have the most frustration !!!!

LOL :unsure:

you need to get the shit out of your head....you are the dumbfuck!