Top court hears arguments in Wal-Mart store closure dispute

mainstream yes...top of the line shop elsewhere.......

Absolutely. I bought a top of the line Panasonic Plasma right after Christmas 2006. Walmart carried the low end version, but that isn't what I wanted, so I bought it elsewhere.

But, Walmart serves the role they are intended to. If you change peoples' attitudes regarding acquiring as much as possible, you might change Walmart's fortunes (or their suppliers).

You can draw a parallel with housing. Many people were stretching themselves too thin by purchasing houses that they knew (or should have known) they weren't qualified for and likely couldn't afford (once the interest rate adjusted). Their greed drove them to acquire more house than they should have.

Edited by RangerM

Here's what I don't get.

We've all heard the lamentations of the greed-incarnate that is Walmart, but why is it that noone ever seems to say anything about the people who shop there?

Sure, many people say "I don't shop there", then go on to trash WalMart, but this ignores that without the other people shopping there, Walmart couldn't exist.

Is it not the greed of the people who shop there to blame for Walmart's success? (assuming that you accept a corollary of "greed" to be a desire to retain more of one's money, although I can make a case using the traditional definition, as well.)

Walmart is filling a role that a certain segment of the population demands, yet Walmart is exclusively blamed for this.

I've also read that Walmart abuses their employees. In cases of actual abuse, the resultant litigation bore that out, however by simply saying that Walmart abuses their employees, is to say that Walmart forces them to work against their will. Otherwise wouldn't they quit? If not, does that mean the Walmart is holding them hostage?

The Government forces me to give up the first four months of income (against my will) just to retain the other 8 months worth. Am I being abused by the Government, as well? If I don't pay, I go to jail. That's beginning to sound like hostage to me.

I'm not saying you have to like Walmart, but to put the blame on Walmart exclusively is flawed logic, imo.

GREAT POST. I'd like to add one thing, why don't we as a country try to solve the problem of US citizens being put, or putting themselves, in a postion where they are forced to take the Wal-Mart jobs because that is the only thing they are qualified for. If less people were to apply for Wal_Mart jobs wouldn't wal-mart be forced to offer more to attract workers? Isn't that the way its supposed to work in the US?

Why doesn't anyone ever ask why we have so many people in this country that are ill prepared for the work force?

Wal Mart sucks, Also as an FYI the Motorcraft oil filters sold at Wal Mart are not the same as the one you get at any parts store or the dealership as they are a cheapened version which I believe is just a Fram. I vow never to shop at Wal Mart ever again and have not stepped foot in one in over two years as they are the leader of outsourcing manufacturing jobs from our country, Also the fact that none of the employees are fluent in english when I go there gets a little annoying.

GREAT POST. I'd like to add one thing, why don't we as a country try to solve the problem of US citizens being put, or putting themselves, in a postion where they are forced to take the Wal-Mart jobs because that is the only thing they are qualified for. If less people were to apply for Wal_Mart jobs wouldn't wal-mart be forced to offer more to attract workers? Isn't that the way its supposed to work in the US?

Why doesn't anyone ever ask why we have so many people in this country that are ill prepared for the work force?

yes, labor is a commodity.....and it's "regulated" by the free market.....someone will always do that work...think about what the pro-immigration groups always say...."we do the jobs that no one else will do"..

Wal-Mart provides a lot of goods and services that some people would otherwise be unable to acquire...like $4 prescription drugs.....low food prices.....so if you follow the logic that some posters propose and give Wal-Mart worker union wages then in turn the prices of these goods and services would go up...this would help the workers to a point but only the workers....what about the other 90% of the customers......?

Many would say our lack of adequate education funding, but I believe the problem is more fundamental than that.

We live in an era of relative plenty. Many young people grow up in surroundings that their parents would never have dreamt of as children, and have earned the means to provide as parents. When a person grows up in a certain lifestyle, without understanding what it took to achieve it, it becomes a natural part of life to the point that it's expected. Unfortunately many parents do little or nothing to subdue this feeling of entitlement. It's not a teacher's responsibility to do this, but they are often the unfortunate bearers in the classroom.

A more real-world example could best be described as our "American Idol" culture. Traditional musicians learn an instrument, or how to sing, and practice, practice, practice. That is the hard way. So much easier to short-circuit the traditional system by going on a show and simply get by on natural ability. (Not that I am taking away from a person's natural talent) This can be carried over to many other things; the lottery is the first thing that comes to my mind.

I've seen it in recent college grads I've hired, which is why my last hires were family men without college degrees in their thirties.

Many college grads have the expectation of making twice as much money while doing half the work.

My lesson to the college grads is, "You may have started higher on the corporate ladder, but it's still up to you to climb, otherwise you will find the guy under you today is above you tomorrow".

I understand where you're coming from here, but I still ask the question, where is the blame for the people who shop there?

Here's what I mean.....

I can choose to go to [insert store here] and purchase a brand new TV (ignore the brand for the time being), OR I can go to Walmart and for the same money I can buy a comparable TV and a VCR.

If I go to Walmart and purchase the TV/VCR, am I being greedy? I'm spending the same money, yet by the choice of store, I've got more stuff. My desire to acquire more stuff (my greed, if you will), has compelled me to go to Walmart instead of [insert store here].

Am I to blame, or is Walmart?

VCR??... When was the last time you bought a TV? :shades:

Does the auto companies have to get UAW's approval to close a plant? :reading:

I don't know. Do they? I don't think they should. I'm sure Toyota and Honda don't need to provide any warning before shuttering their plants for months at a time. Does it suck for the employees? Sure. Does it give them an advantage over those plants employing UAW workers? Absolutely.

I don't know. Do they? I don't think they should. I'm sure Toyota and Honda don't need to provide any warning before shuttering their plants for months at a time. Does it suck for the employees? Sure. Does it give them an advantage over those plants employing UAW workers? Absolutely.

If I remember correctly, there was some language in the contract about the union getting a notice before a plant was shuttered...but I think they could "suspend operations" for an undetermined amount of time based on market conditions and it was not considered a "closing"...I'm not sure if I got the terms correct but this was the general idea....I'm sure there are some posters who are still employees and they can correct me....

Many would say our lack of adequate education funding, but I believe the problem is more fundamental than that.

We live in an era of relative plenty. Many young people grow up in surroundings that their parents would never have dreamt of as children, and have earned the means to provide as parents. When a person grows up in a certain lifestyle, without understanding what it took to achieve it, it becomes a natural part of life to the point that it's expected. Unfortunately many parents do little or nothing to subdue this feeling of entitlement. It's not a teacher's responsibility to do this, but they are often the unfortunate bearers in the classroom.

A more real-world example could best be described as our "American Idol" culture. Traditional musicians learn an instrument, or how to sing, and practice, practice, practice. That is the hard way. So much easier to short-circuit the traditional system by going on a show and simply get by on natural ability. (Not that I am taking away from a person's natural talent) This can be carried over to many other things; the lottery is the first thing that comes to my mind.

I've seen it in recent college grads I've hired, which is why my last hires were family men without college degrees in their thirties.

Many college grads have the expectation of making twice as much money while doing half the work.

My lesson to the college grads is, "You may have started higher on the corporate ladder, but it's still up to you to climb, otherwise you will find the guy under you today is above you tomorrow".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely! Some of these college graduates are so pompous-assed it's almost laughable on how they view the world. "I've got a graduate degree so I know everything..." Yes, that kind of attitude.

HEY ASSHOLES! YOU NEVER HAD A REAL JOB WITH VARIED HOURS AND WORKED WEEKENDS. SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES AND JOIN THE CLUB YOU SPOILED BUNCH OF UNGRATEFUL BASTARDS!

Edited by Bored of Pisteon