layoffs OAC

fordgirl31

heard in buffalo you guys might be going to one shift for awhile.

Highly unlikely.Are you aware of the manpower churning entailed by redeploying people to new jobs/areas/depts after a seniority based layoff?We still have a launch going forward this July on the new Lincoln version of the Flex and while there is still a hope for future profitability it is improbable that Oakville is going to change their operating pattern anytime soon.

heard in buffalo you guys might be going to one shift for awhile.

Nothing planned as yet. The company's sales projections exceed what 1 shift could sustain (according to the plant manager). Not to mention the massive manpower churn they want to avoid.....especially while trying to launch the MKT.

At this point one shift does nothing to help Ford.

Nothing planned as yet. The company's sales projections exceed what 1 shift could sustain (according to the plant manager). Not to mention the massive manpower churn they want to avoid.....especially while trying to launch the MKT.

At this point one shift does nothing to help Ford.

We are going to be down most of the time for the forseeable future. Re-training just costs loss of production, which the company can afford now, as they are down a lot anyway. They still could work 10 hours if required. Don't believe that two shifts are a certainty.

when are you guys going to wake up? the y lay most of you off-- the people that do most of the work and yet ALL of management is in doing squat. seriously , do you really think they are busy for 3 straight weeks? how ever do they manage when you're in production? they then come to you guys for concessions( they will) saying they can't afford this or that and yet keep THEIR GUYS in the plant. and i know they'll come after my pension but that's a fight for tommorrow. tell them to start cutting their own guys and get back to us!

Thier on one shift in Chicago and the fact they had the MKS in the works didn't matter much.

Yeah....and how long were they on 2 shifts and being laid off for weeks at a time due to the fact the products they build don't sell.

It took them years to drop it to one shift.

Sales on OAC products are hurting but are still better than what Chicago has been doing for the past couple years.

Yeah....and how long were they on 2 shifts and being laid off for weeks at a time due to the fact the products they build don't sell.

It took them years to drop it to one shift.

Sales on OAC products are hurting but are still better than what Chicago has been doing for the past couple years.

Ya good point, but I think things are different from even six months. I'm not saying one shift is imminent but this global situation looks like it will persist past this year leaving us with little room for naive optimism. The fact is we sell just under one shifts worth of product (9167 units/jan09) and reality is just too hard a pill for some to swallow.

Edited by foxrun

Ya good point, but I think things are different from even six months. I'm not saying one shift is imminent but this global situation looks like it will persist past this year leaving us with little room for naive optimism. The fact is we sell just under one shifts worth of product (9167 units/jan09) and reality is just too hard a pill for some to swallow.

I'm a guy that would be on the bubble if we went down to one shift, but I would love it to happen just to see how long it would take for the plant to fall apart, do you really think they could run with a bunch of guys that haven't worked, and what I mean by that is actually worked on the line for the last 10 - 15 yrs good luck!

I'm sure the company knows this to

I'm a guy that would be on the bubble if we went down to one shift, but I would love it to happen just to see how long it would take for the plant to fall apart, do you really think they could run with a bunch of guys that haven't worked, and what I mean by that is actually worked on the line for the last 10 - 15 yrs good luck!

Thhey ran the truck plant, apparently quite well for years on one shift..

ALL of management is in doing squat.
Got proof of that? According to my supervisor, some people in management got laid off also. I know when I was in during a blackout week that not all management was in.

Anyway, I don't really care. Management is paid salary and they don't get squat for overtime if they work it from my understanding.

I'm a guy that would be on the bubble if we went down to one shift, but I would love it to happen just to see how long it would take for the plant to fall apart,

There's a bright idea. I've got news for ya...We don't want 1 shift. Nothing good usually comes to a plant on 1 shift. Secondly the Plant would run regardless of what you think.

As for going to 1 shift. I highly doubt it. While we are currently producing just below enough for 1 shift to build, it is the worst time for auto sales in general, and they will pick up...maybe not a lot, but probably enough to maintain 2 shifts. Also there is a cost factor. Ford isn't saving any money going to 1 shift and there's no need to retrain when production picks up. Also there is the launch of the MKT and the Biggies want this vehicle to be flawless when it rolls off the line. Dealerships need to get these things so there will be a large initial build, like every new model. Could be wrong, but I don't see it happening unless sales drop a lot more.

Almost everybody is on the line now. Most of the guys who were on jobs off the line took the package. Cleaning and shipping is now outsourced. I worked on the line for a bit during the last down week in January. It was a piece of cake compared to 15 years ago. If the SUB runs out, you will see a lot of senior workers calling for one shift. I hope that it doesn't happen. However, I would plan for it and try to get something going on the side if I was in danger of getting an ILO. It could be a long one. Hopefully, the government actions will work quickly and we will be working steady by next fall, or next spring. I wouldn't count too much on it, though, especially if I had a lot of bills.

Almost everybody is on the line now. Most of the guys who were on jobs off the line took the package. Cleaning and shipping is now outsourced. I worked on the line for a bit during the last down week in January. It was a piece of cake compared to 15 years ago. If the SUB runs out, you will see a lot of senior workers calling for one shift. I hope that it doesn't happen. However, I would plan for it and try to get something going on the side if I was in danger of getting an ILO. It could be a long one. Hopefully, the government actions will work quickly and we will be working steady by next fall, or next spring. I wouldn't count too much on it, though, especially if I had a lot of bills.
Shipping hasn't been outsourced yet, if you're talking about the trains. The trucks have been gone for a while. I don't see sub running out. It didn't run out when we were 2 off for 2 a few years back.

Let's hope not anyway cuz we don't want 1 shift. And you're right about line jobs now...they're a joke compared to 15 years ago. Yes there still are some bad jobs but the majority aren't.

Got proof of that? According to my supervisor, some people in management got laid off also. I know when I was in during a blackout week that not all management was in.

Anyway, I don't really care. Management is paid salary and they don't get squat for overtime if they work it from my understanding.

There's a bright idea. I've got news for ya...We don't want 1 shift. Nothing good usually comes to a plant on 1 shift. Secondly the Plant would run regardless of what you think.

As for going to 1 shift. I highly doubt it. While we are currently producing just below enough for 1 shift to build, it is the worst time for auto sales in general, and they will pick up...maybe not a lot, but probably enough to maintain 2 shifts. Also there is a cost factor. Ford isn't saving any money going to 1 shift and there's no need to retrain when production picks up. Also there is the launch of the MKT and the Biggies want this vehicle to be flawless when it rolls off the line. Dealerships need to get these things so there will be a large initial build, like every new model. Could be wrong, but I don't see it happening unless sales drop a lot more.

Anyone have an idea why an EDGE body on a skid painted dark blue would be doing at KCAP? Seemed strange to me to see it, looks like they may have run it through the Escape paint shop.

Anyone have an idea why an EDGE body on a skid painted dark blue would be doing at KCAP? Seemed strange to me to see it, looks like they may have run it through the Escape paint shop.

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY ARE SHIFTING PRODUCTION OF THE EDGE TO KCAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR THE ESCAPE IS COMING TO OAC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sos: