Fusion - Accord - Mazda 6 Comparo

that rag C/D isn,t worth the poor tree,s that died for it. look at how thin it is then pick up the latest 5.0 magazine and feel the heft in it!!!!! it,s a crap mag no one pays attention to. along the lines of such worthless magazines as motor /tripe. lousy magazines that outlived their usefullness years and years ago. i wouldn,t lose much sleep over anything they wrote since only about 5000 people will ever even read it in the first place!!!

I'm a MM/FF man, myself! :beerchug:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My comment is flagged as: "Message awaits moderator approval"

There's no bias here, though. Print a slanted (get it?) article, and edit any comments that disagree. Jounalism at it's finest. It's the Fox News of car rags!

Didn't they also pick the Honda Ridgeline over the F-150 a few years ago? Hacks.

I know you really meant MSNBC (better known as MSDNC), NOT Fox News.

I've noticed the last few issues have been kinda dinky. What gives?!? :rant:

"It's the economy stupid"

---

The downturn is being used to justify the evisceration of print advertising budgets from coast to coast and in every conceivable industry and in every conceivable format.

In fact, print advertising was one of those areas where all parties concerned just got fat and lazy. Most publications, I believe, ratcheted up their advertising rates every year just as a matter of course, and without regard to outside realities.

On the flip side, advertisers continued to buy into the "You have to do print advertising" line that they were being fed by print sales reps.

But the downturn coupled with the 'shocking' discovery that more people get their news online, has spurred a mass exodus from print, and it has caught many an editor so far off-guard that the only response has been a near hysterical protest that somehow implies that they 'deserve' money... "We provide a valuable service to the community" being one of the most frequently heard laments......

Edited by RichardJensen

"It's the economy stupid"

---

The downturn is being used to justify the evisceration of print advertising budgets from coast to coast and in every conceivable industry and in every conceivable format.

In fact, print advertising was one of those areas where all parties concerned just got fat and lazy. Most publications, I believe, ratcheted up their advertising rates every year just as a matter of course, and without regard to outside realities.

On the flip side, advertisers continued to buy into the "You have to do print advertising" line that they were being fed by print sales reps.

But the downturn coupled with the 'shocking' discovery that more people get their news online, has spurred a mass exodus from print, and it has caught many an editor so far off-guard that the only response has been a near hysterical protest that some how implies that they 'deserve' money... "We provide a valuable service to the community" being one of the most frequently heard laments......

I don't know. The 90 pages of ads still all seem to be there. They've just been skimping on the tech articles lately it seems. And the last few issues have only had one major cover story where previous issues have had at least two, sometimes three. :shrug:

It's still a fantastic enthusiast publication though.

I don't know. The 90 pages of ads still all seem to be there. They've just been skimping on the tech articles lately it seems. And the last few issues have only had one major cover story where previous issues have had at least two, sometimes three. :shrug:

It's still a fantastic enthusiast publication though.

Same number of ads @ lower price per ad = less editorial money. At least they're not quite at the 'women's fashion magazine' ad to content ratio. Man it's been a long time since I picked up a copy. Browse them every now and then, but that's about it.....

Did anyone notice they're now complaining about Ford's new "blue and white" backlighting? So they get rid of the "horrible" green backlighting and replace it with a more up to date color that's similar to what other companies use, and they still get blasted. :nonono:

Actually, I much prefer the green backing to the blue. But I am just one person and I'm sure Ford conducted plenty of market research before changing over.

This Ann Arbor based magazine sets the bar an all time low in journalistic integrity, featuring truck comparisons based on acceleration with no towing or work, nonsensical rating scales and a general lack of understanding that some vehicles are built without the intension being the ultimate track car.

This is why I refuse to pay for a mag. subscription anymore. It seems the basics of how a particular vehicle should be judged is being thrown out the window for these ultimate track car tests. Had I been influenced by these idiot magz, I'd most likely own a Tundra or Titan, cause you know they are the fastest 0-60 and that is the main purposed of a full-size truck. And I would be brain washed into believing my tailgate falling off, or the exessive bed bounce or the rear end exploding or normal aspect of a full-size truck.

Now on the C&D review, this simply furthers the reason I don't subscribe to magz anymore. Clearly biased reporting and placing too much emphasis on aspects that in the long run, don't really matter to the majority of consumers. It is irritating when one of the three is a higher trim line than the others, gets compliments for optional features included in this higher trim, but then knock the others cause they didn't have this feature in the lower trim levels. Same with the engines, two get the base model motor, while the other gets the 1 step up motor. The magz many times are at the mercy of the manufacturer that produces the car, so the auto maker may have a reason to give a higher model vehicle. Think, C&D asked Mazada, Ford & Honda for a particular trim level. Honda knowing C&D would get these from Ford, they stated "Oh no we don't have one, but you can take this more expensive, higher trim model" to compete against those lesser vehicles. C&D needs to take this into account.

Hmmm... the Accord costs $5000 more than the Fusion and DOESN'T have stability control?

That reason alone would put the Accord in 3rd place in my view.

And it has an extra 15HP but has only slightly better acceleration? For an extra $5000?

I don't think so.

For me, it would be a close competition between the Focus and the Mazda.

I love how some of these auto reviewers think that $5000 is just pocket change for everyone...

Hmmm... the Accord costs $5000 more than the Fusion and DOESN'T have stability control?

Stability control is standard on all three cars in this comparison test. In fact it's standard on all trim levels of the 2010 Fusion, 2009 Mazda 6, and 2009 Honda Accord.

Mercury Milan / Ford Fusion?? :shades:

Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. :hysterical:

Car and Driver....sounds familiar. Oh, right -- the magazine from back in the 1980s that featured writers like Bruce McCall, Dick Smothers, Brock Yates and PJ O'Rourke? Man, I miss that mag, can't believe its been 25 years since they last published anything worth buying. :boring:

I met Brock. Great guy!

The only Mags I get now are the aforementioned MM&FF, and R&T. Road and track tends to review cars that I have no shot of affording, and for $5.00 a year, I'll read all the Saleen S7 vs. Bugatti Veyron articles they can throw at me. More entertainment than information.

Edited by chiefstang

chiefstang maybe you might know my brother!!!! people around these parts know him as the mustang god. he lives in clifton springs?? no one knows fords like that guy. lucky enough to have him as my brother!!!!!! :happy feet:

I met Brock. Great guy!

The only Mags I get now are the aforementioned MM&FF, and R&T. Road and track tends to review cars that I have no shot of affording, and for $5.00 a year, I'll read all the Saleen S7 vs. Bugatti Veyron articles they can throw at me. More entertainment than information.

Clifton springs is a little ways away from me, but I know a good chunk of the Mustang crowd in Rochester. I go to all the local cruises, though, and may have met him. What's his name, or more importantly, what kind of Mustang does he drive. I know more cars than names! You can PM me if you'd like. I'm always down to meet a fellow Stanger!... If I haven't already.

I like R&T. Their editorial staff is everything that the other magazines are not. The very existence of R&T, under the same rooftop as C&D (Hachette Filipacchi) shames C&D no end.

R&T has remained, IMO, a 'purist's' magazine. They like cars at R&T, and therefore, their reviews of cars do not smack of thinly veiled contempt, frustration with life in general, or frustrated ambitions to run car companies in particular.

Hey folks..I thought you might need a little pick me up to get you through the weekend. Here's a MM and FF all in one photo for you to enjoy.

VIN # 0F02G163963

Enjoy,

Mark

Damn that was pretty... It could only be better if it was in the dark maroon... Which I've only seen once a few years ago... but still you have quite the find their my man.

• 3 weeks later...